Pointing Fingers: Two Defensive Errors against Fulham

CareFreeChronic

In this edition of Pointing Fingers, we will look at two of Fulham's chances. The first is Orlando Sa's off-target header from inside the box. The second is the Clint Dempsey goal in the second half. Let's figure out where Chelsea's defense came short in these two scenarios.

http://www.carefreechronicles.com/2011/12/pointing-fingers-two-defensive-errors.html

Cheers!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how a defense with all that quality and experience would make all those mistakes. Cole's attempted block is pathetic.

I love ashley, but his defensive mistakes have really cost us this season. He hasn't been putting good attacking performances either of lat (bar the Tottenham game) which is why I think we should start Ryan every once in a while, you never know, he might pull a "Romeu" and pinch the spot off Cole

I love ashley, but his defensive mistakes have really cost us this season. He hasn't been putting good attacking performances either of lat (bar the Tottenham game) which is why I think we should start Ryan every once in a while, you never know, he might pull a "Romeu" and pinch the spot off Cole

He has been sub-par ever since the Double winning season but it gets overlooked for some reason. He could do with a rest every once in a while, mind you.

He has been sub-par ever since the Double winning season but it gets overlooked for some reason. He could do with a rest every once in a while, mind you.

Agreed. He started the season rather well, but all those games with no rest were bound to affect his level with his age. Now he just seems too tired to defend properly.

We had 7 players in the box and still conceded, shocking defending! People are rightly pointing the finger at our defence and Cech but for me Lampard was more culpable as he was tracking Dempsey from outside the box and left him to run freely into the area to score - if he had done his job and followed Dempsey, defended so he was facing where the ball was coming from then this goal could of been avoided.

However i have to question AVB's formation amongst other things during this game as he played into a very negative sides hands, if we were set up differently, then them scoring would of been a token gesture as i'm pretty sure we would of got atleast 3 goals with us set up with the attacking formation he used at the start of the season, his philosphy - 'i don't care how many we concede as long as we score one more than them' has now been deserted??? Can understand his decision to abandon his attacking philosophy against quality sides who can hurt you in attack but Fulham at home FFS!!!

One thing i will add about the game is that Dembele looks a real class act.