Pointing Fingers: Mikel and Cole Blunder against Liverpool

CareFreeChronic

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A closer look at the two costly mistakes by Mikel and Cole against Liverpool.

http://carefreechron...105891855560084

Cheers!

Great job as always. A few side notes if I may:

1-For me, Cech has to take the blame for the first goal. The pass to Mikel was by no means a feasible option because he was surrounded by 5 liverpool players from all directions, his options were: 1) Protect the ball and turn, which proved very costly. 2) A first time pass to luiz which is not as easy as it looks due to the nature of the pass Petr provided, and if he didn't get it right Suarez and Maxi are there to take advantage. 3) A back pass to Cech that would put him in pressure which means it is absolutely meaningless from Petr to pass to Mikel in my opinion. He should have passed to Luiz. I love big Pete but have admit he was at fault there.

2- The reason why Cech seemed determined to taking short goal kicks is that he is told so by the manager and for a very good reason as well. The heart of our new attacking system is that the center-halves are spread very wide and high up the field to allow the fullbacks to compress the defense of the opponents, which means if a stray long goal kick lands on the feet of an opposition player, our defense has no chance of closing down quick enough...and we are clusterfucked! :P

3- Concerning the role of Mikel, though I do agree he did his role beautifully in the Ancelotti system, I felt, especially after the liverpool game, that he is unable to do the requirements of his position in the new system. Offensively, though he is making the short side passes that I think he is required to do, I don't think he is/can do them at a higher speed with the same accuracy, it seemed whenever he tired to raise the tempo, his passes would go astray. Defensively...where do I begin? It's not about what he's doing but rather what he's not. And the not list in this case include most importantly tackling and interceptions in the middle which I think are vital to AVB's system. He is failing to cover for defenders when they are out of position. (example: when Luiz is going forwad)

I apologize if my post was too long. Keep up the good work mate.

Ummm, if Mikel's here to stay then we are fucked! I've had many discussions about 'Obi one' since the first day I joined this forum with different members, I pointed out in the last Mikel debate that he will get found out against quick thinking players & attackers with pace, it was evident that Dalglish had instructed his players to press us high up the pitch & press for a mistake & Mikel was clearly a target. Contrary to your thoughts its not that difficult when you have time on the ball playing in this position which largely you have, Cech was partly to blame & agree his pass could of been better but he had plenty of time to control the ball & move it on or shield it - I keep being told his strength is one his features not sure where it went on this occasion?

As for Maloulda 'deserving credit' well had he tracked back properly then we would not of lost the game, he is not solely to blame of course. I couldn't remember Cech making a save, & it tells a story that they have 3 shots on target & score twice yet we dominated the second half but didn't find the net - so for me the defence are carrying the can & rightly so but our attack are simply not finding the net & the finger needs to be pointed upfront too.

1-For me, Cech has to take the blame for the first goal. The pass to Mikel was by no means a feasible option because he was surrounded by 5 liverpool players from all directions, his options were: 1) Protect the ball and turn, which proved very costly. 2) A first time pass to luiz which is not as easy as it looks due to the nature of the pass Petr provided, and if he didn't get it right Suarez and Maxi are there to take advantage. 3) A back pass to Cech that would put him in pressure which means it is absolutely meaningless from Petr to pass to Mikel in my opinion. He should have passed to Luiz. I love big Pete but have admit he was at fault there.

First, don't ever apologize for a long comment. Second, I disagree that the pass to Mikel was a feasible option. I think it is. Cech passed it with an intention that Mikel will take one touch and move on but that's not what happened. Cech has made this kind of pass in the past and it didn't cause any trouble. But as I said, the quality could be a lot better.

Cheers!

First, don't ever apologize for a long comment. Second, I disagree that the pass to Mikel was a feasible option. I think it is. Cech passed it with an intention that Mikel will take one touch and move on but that's not what happened. Cech has made this kind of pass in the past and it didn't cause any trouble. But as I said, the quality could be a lot better.

Cheers!

I thought that was a pretty poor decision from Cech. It never really caused a huge problem before that incident, but he really does put Mikel in unnecessarily difficult situations with passes like that. Usually Mikel is able to turn away from the other player but it was always going to happen.

Like others I blame Cech for giving mikel that pass also think mikel was fouled but I've only seen it once live. How any defender cimes up against johnson and doesn't know by now that he will ALLWAYS turn inside to his only foot hasn't done their research.

Wasn't the best pass from Cech but any player should have had the awareness and ability to deal with the situation imo

In terms of defensively, we need to sort out our basics first: clearing the ball when there are defenders near you instead of trying to play your way out (Luiz), not diving in and committing yourself way too early (everyone), playing wingers to the outside and not letting them cut in (fullbacks)

most of the individual errors that our defenders have made so far this season are extremely basic and it baffles me how they can get it wrong

For me, he did tracked back properly.

Respect your opinion fella but I have to disagree. If you look at your first picture in your blog (which is impressive by the way - nice one) both Cole & Maloulda are guilty of ball watching the play instead of being aware of what's happening around them. Cole should be closer to Johnson & Maloulda should be busting a gut to get into the gaping hole vacated between Cole & JT (motd analysis showed JT went across to cover the out of position Luiz) Johnson came down the left side which is Maloulda's responsibility so he has to track back but decides to amble back & let Cole deal with it, which was a catastrophic mistake.

both Cole & Maloulda are guilty of ball watching the play instead of being aware of what's happening around them. Cole should be closer to Johnson & Maloulda should be busting a gut to get into the gaping hole vacated between Cole & JT

I see. I think our disagreement hinges on the point of focus. You focus on the initial positioning when the ball played out. But I focus on the instance before Johnson cuts on to his left, which Cole should never have allow to happen, especially since most teams now use "inverted wingers" cutting onto the center to shoot (eg. Robben).

We will just have to agree to disagree. To me, Cole's mistake is significantly bigger than any wrong doing Malouda committed.

Cheers!

Like others I blame Cech for giving mikel that pass also think mikel was fouled but I've only seen it once live. How any defender cimes up against johnson and doesn't know by now that he will ALLWAYS turn inside to his only foot hasn't done their research.

Glen Johnsons right footed, why would he always turn inside?

Glen Johnsons right footed, why would he always turn inside?

I never said he wasn't right footed im elaborating to the fact that 9 times out of 10 he will get level with the box and turn in on his left side which is why I refer to it as his only foot.