Before Roman Arrived

zolayes

Yep! We earned our fortunes with the football we played.. Didn't get randomly picked as City did. Had that 'billion pound goal' not have gone in, Roman may have bought Liverpool!

The CL spot would have been sealed even with a draw, Desailly's leveller was the million or billion or whatever pound goal in effect.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CL spot would have been sealed even with a draw, Desailly's leveller was the million or billion or whatever pound goal in effect.

Tell that to all Chelsea fans back then lol, i can still remember it i had sweaty palms. Liverpool were attacking us and they came close a few times then GRONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKJAER.

I went to this game and it was the last season I had a membership at the bridge and went on a regular basis(my first kid was born next year).....

I can remember that team clearly so can easily compare it to the current side.....

Keeper - Cudicini vs Cech. Cudicini was very highly regarded at the time, but more for his athletic ability and shop stopping rather than commanding of the area...It's a close one to call but Cech's size and presence wins it for me. Winner - Cech.

RB - Melchoit v Ivanovic. Melchoit was very tidy in possesion and good coming forward but very suspect defensively(sound familar), Ivanovic is a better defender and has decent crossing ability. Winner - Ivanovic

CB - Gallas vs Luiz. As much as he is now loathed at Chelsea, Gallas was a very good centre back and kept a young JT out of the side, also very versatile. Luiz,well I don't have enough space to discuss him!! - winner Gallas

CB - Desailly v Terry. This is interesting as both were/are coming to the end of thier careers. Desailly was a legend world over and taught Terry alot and aided his development. JT is currently struggling postiionally and that was always a main strength of Desailly right to the end. winner - Desailly

LB - Babayaro vs Cole. Baba was an underated player who could defend and come forward, the problem was when the going got tough he went missing. Cole, enough said. Winner - Cole

CM - Petit vs Mikel. Although Petit was a very good player, when he represented Chelsea he was absolutely useless and came to us purely for a last big payday. Anyone would win here ahead of petit. Winner - Mikel.

LM - Le Saux v Ramires. As the above played 4-4-2 and we now play 4-3-3, I cant get a completely accurate like for like comparison so have gone for these two head to head. Le Saux was a very good crosser of the ball and was a border line - left back/midfielder. Ramires wins due to his work rate. Winner - Ramires.

CM - Lampard v Lampard!. The lamps of the above team was still young(and alot heavier!!) and was still finding his way in the game. I remember in this season Ranieri was getting alot of stick about paying £11m for him. Winner - the old, experienced Lampard.

RM - Gronkjaer v Sturridge. Gronkjaer a natural winger ,very frustrating. On his day he was unplayable but the biggest pussy winger I have ever seen, If someone shouted at him he would even cower. Sturridge wins for consistancy. Winner Sturrdige.

For - Gudjohnsen vs Mata. Eider was a very clever player who helped JFH alot and they had a great partnership. Was very techncially gifted as Barca bought him latter on. Think Mata just edges it though due to greater pace. Winner - Mata.

For - JFH vs Drogba vs Torres. If have done this a 3 way battle, as we do not know who the main striker currently is at Chelsea. We have seen very little good from Torres so he is out. JFH was a great goalscorer but offered little else to the side and always moaned at teammates. Drogba wins this due to his allround game. Winner - Drogba.

Hope you found the above interesting...

Know what you mean gg. Wins seemed a lot sweeter then, but things have moved on, and we definitely wouldnt have the array of silverware without the massive cash injection. I remember Glen Johnson the first signing and then like dominos it was fantasy football, the marketing of a global brand, then suddenly there were all these millions of fans :)

I dont care what any cunt says, money wins you the league -Man Utd, Chelsea, Blackburn and now Citeh. Its a fact when football is a business

Completely agree , Money does win you titles top teams have done it for years.

As for wins being sweeter , defiantly the expectation wasn't there we were happy to be in the top half of the table. now we just expect expect expect , its harder to enjoy when you have to try and be a certain level.

Know what you mean gg. Wins seemed a lot sweeter then, but things have moved on, and we definitely wouldnt have the array of silverware without the massive cash injection. I remember Glen Johnson the first signing and then like dominos it was fantasy football, the marketing of a global brand, then suddenly there were all these millions of fans :)

I dont care what any cunt says, money wins you the league -Man Utd, Chelsea, Blackburn and now Citeh. Its a fact when football is a business

Mate, too true! Don't get me wrong, winning titles and being looked at as one of the strongest teams in europe is fucking awesome! But, victories were so much sweeter when we weren't cashed up for some reason. I remember how hard our players went on the field like Joe Cole, Young Lampsy, Young Terry, Eidur etc! They were so fresh and hungry! I haven't seen that hunger since Wigan 8-0.

If you ask me, money fucks up everything! Instead of having a group of loyal blue-blooded players, we now have a bunch of overpaid, overrated pretty boys who instead of playing for a new contract are sulking instead. What i would do just to play 10 minutes for my beloved Chelsea! Even though I'm not world class, i would put in 100% of my mind body and soul! These boys just aren't putting in anymore!

in terms of comparison ...on current form ..the old cb partnership of Gallas and Marcel is far superior to today.

At the front the partnership of Jimmy and Eidur functioned much better than any of todays are doing ....

AND don't forget we had ZOLA on the bench in that game.

That truly was a great team. But we have to admit that the league was so much easier back then mainly because there wasn't this much money in the game. I think our current team has more quality, but our old squad compares better to the teams that were in the league in 2003 than the current compares to the teams that are now in the league. (does that make any sense? :P )

today we have more egos and superstars, but as a team, I feel that one was better... not to mention I rate players like Zola, Eidur, JFH, Gallas (before turning into a cunt), Desailly, Cudicini very highly and they would get into the team of today in their prime anyday for me, except for Cudi :P Gullit, Vialli and Ranieri made some very intelligent signings

I watched the game in Brighton with quite a few family members, really nervous, especially when they went 1-0 up. It will always be a game to remember, even Stevie G got sent of after a dirt challenge on Le saux. Shame Le Saux & Zola left us and didn't play in the UCL in the 03/04 season.

It's unbelievable tho, the luck we've had in the UCL since Gronkjaer's goal against Liverpool so start the journey. It's been the most emotional 7 years you could ever imagine and no other team will ever go through such bad fortune.

Supporting Chelsea was so different before Roman, even if we lost, it wasn't really a problem. We often lost away to Coventry for example, but that was life. We lost 10-15 games a season but when we won, it was cherished, we enjoyed it, it felt good to beat Southampton 1-0 at home on a rainy, cold, muddy evening. Nowadays there's so much pressure, you lose 3-4-5 and it's all doom n gloom. Look at things now. Now as 22/11/2011, only in November and we're already out the title race. Money has ruined the fun of football. We benefited from it and it was great, but Man City are taking it to the extreme. Within the next 10 years, they would've won everything possible. I'd love to have football's 1994-2000 era back because i enjoyed it more than i enjoy todays stuff.

Lol yeah, but a draw would've left holes there & panic was already setting in. Gronk's goal was special too, the goal itself was a beauty :lol:

Supporting Chelsea was so different before Roman, even if we lost, it wasn't really a problem. We often lost away to Coventry for example, but that was life. We lost 10-15 games a season but when we won, it was cherished, we enjoyed it, it felt good to beat Southampton 1-0 at home on a rainy, cold, muddy evening. Nowadays there's so much pressure, you lose 3-4-5 and it's all doom n gloom. Look at things now. Now as 22/11/2011, only in November and we're already out the title race. Money has ruined the fun of football. We benefited from it and it was great, but Man City are taking it to the extreme. Within the next 10 years, they would've won everything possible. I'd love to have football's 1994-2000 era back because i enjoyed it more than i enjoy todays stuff.

I preferred it back in the 90's as well, was more enjoyable going to games. I used to get in for like £15 with my Bridge Kids membership, they were the days. :lol:

I remember there was a season back around 2000 where we didn't even win an away game until the 2nd half of the season its mad. Things have just changed so much.