Ivanovic vs Bosingwa (The Pilot Study)

CareFreeChronic

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a deeper look at the defensive statistics of Ivanovic and Bosingwa on the right side of Chelsea defense against Arsenal and Blackburn.

http://carefreechron...ilot-study.html

Cheers!

Excellent as always ..So much to absorb but I will question one aspect : that is about interceptions. IMO speed of foot is not the essential but speed of

thought ,anticipation and reading the game . Particularly the last is easier for a player playing in an position he has always played in .

The man on my avatar on our right back position any day :)

Bos ain't bad though, he's a good fullback, just not the player you always want to use.

One thing about Bosingwa is that he's going forward a lot and that leaves loads of space on the left wing. That's a lot of sprinting along the byline which can result of him dropping his concentration. When teams are attacking and he's int he position usually they don't penetrate the right wing.

I don't think Bosingwa's a bad defender (at least not for a wing back). Rather, I think his real weak point is in his selfishness.Many of his dribbling attempts border on stupidity. I wasn't much disappointed with his defensive display against Arsenal, but I was absolutely ticked off when he tried to dribble past Walcott I think at the halfway line and lost out. Also, it's pretty obvious Bosingwa hates to (or just can't) work with Sturridge. Whenever he knows that he can't get to the byline, he either cuts in or passes to a player in the middle but rarely passes to Sturridge. In a game a few weeks ago, I noticed how Sturridge got really annoyed at Bosingwa when he kept on refusing to pass to him even when he was open. To me, a wing back who can't work with the winger in front of him, is... well, I want to say 'useless' but I think that's a bit harsh. Anyway, if he can't figure out that he's a defender and Sturridge is the attacker, I don't want to see him playing any more.

I don't think Bosingwa's a bad defender (at least not for a wing back). Rather, I think his real weak point is in his selfishness.Many of his dribbling attempts border on stupidity. I wasn't much disappointed with his defensive display against Arsenal, but I was absolutely ticked off when he tried to dribble past Walcott I think at the halfway line and lost out. Also, it's pretty obvious Bosingwa hates to (or just can't) work with Sturridge. Whenever he knows that he can't get to the byline, he either cuts in or passes to a player in the middle but rarely passes to Sturridge. In a game a few weeks ago, I noticed how Sturridge got really annoyed at Bosingwa when he kept on refusing to pass to him even when he was open. To me, a wing back who can't work with the winger in front of him, is... well, I want to say 'useless' but I think that's a bit harsh. Anyway, if he can't figure out that he's a defender and Sturridge is the attacker, I don't want to see him playing any more.

Excellent post. I remember that, under Scolari, he worked brilliantly with Joe Cole, but that is because Joe has a wonderful work ethic whereas Sturridge is a typical, lazy centre-forward.

Bosingwa is much-maligned as a right-back, but he is not as bad as people make out. Rather he has been targeted because of the high line that we play, and the space he leaves when he goes forward is often exploited. I feel he has been scapegoated for our defensive woes, but all of our defenders have been shaky this season.

Bosingwa's link up play makes us suffer and there's rarely an end product with him. It doesn't help that we don't have an actual RW (I know we haven't done for years). It also doesn't help that the bloke on the other flank is one of the best in the business too. Our right side in general is underused and outshone a lot.

Anyway, what I was getting at is that I prefer Ivanovic anyway, I like his crossing and he can swap around with Luiz which is nice during a game

Excellent post. I remember that, under Scolari, he worked brilliantly with Joe Cole, but that is because Joe has a wonderful work ethic whereas Sturridge is a typical, lazy centre-forward.

Bosingwa is much-maligned as a right-back, but he is not as bad as people make out. Rather he has been targeted because of the high line that we play, and the space he leaves when he goes forward is often exploited. I feel he has been scapegoated for our defensive woes, but all of our defenders have been shaky this season.

Actually the reason that he was singled out of our back four, if I remember correctly, was his defending at set plays, especially at the beginning of the season with all the goals we were conceding from set plays.

Wrong. Look at some random posts of last season, and you'll see that more or less every body was saying the same thing on him, though there wasn't any high defensive line.

Wrong. Look at some random posts of last season, and you'll see that more or less every body was saying the same thing on him, though there wasn't any high defensive line.

He was just very, very wasteful in terms of possession and the final ball last season. He was very unsure on the ball and screwed up a lot of easy passes, which was very frustrating. I don't ever recall getting mad at him for being a terrible defender, though.

You can't just call somebody's opinion "wrong," you can accept it, agree with it, acknowledge it or argue against it. You can't really label Bosingwa as being poor, because our entire defence has been lacklustre this season. Bosingwa has never been the most solid of full-backs but he has been no worse than Cole or Terry this season, even Branislav 'Mr Consistent' Ivanovic has been well off his best. The only defender who has played anywhere near his best for us this season is DL4.

You could forgive Bosingwa's defensive failings if he was better on the attack.

However, when he can't beat the opposing left-back one-on-one & can't deliver a cross almost 9/10.. There's something seriously wrong. I mean even Ivanovic can do that, and he's known for his defensive side, not attacking!