Depression

Steve

Manpe you need three things for a meaningful life - a worthwhile job, a good relationship, and to make a difference.

The third one, to make a difference is the most important. I have made good money, and had a good job -but the thing that made all the difference to me was doing voluntary work, helping homeless, abused, bullied people. This is worth more than money.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manpe you need three things for a meaningful life - a worthwhile job, a good relationship, and to make a difference.

The third one, to make a difference is the most important. I have made good money, and had a good job -but the thing that made all the difference to me was doing voluntary work, helping homeless, abused, bullied people. This is worth more than money.

And then they will die and so will you.

Oh wow, he actually committed suicide after writing this - hero. Though if the point of this book is to say that life is pointless and everything else too, then it's not something new now is it, life is pointless. I guess you can call me a nihilist for thinking like that. Granted, life is the only visible and touchable miracle known to man, but it's still a completely meaningless and useless miracle.

Well it's a complete theory on the inevitability of nihilism. It is someone who committed suicide because of a philosophical theory not depression or any other mental disease which answers your original question if that is possible.

Still see no point.

Manpe, you are right. But you see it way too black and white, man , and you are stubborn in it. You seem to disregard everything that counters your opinion and accomodate the stuff that confirms it.

Primarily t is because you are looking for meaning outside yourself as a human being that you get stuck in Nihilism (I am a nihilist by the way - so bear with me). looking for an external meaning is ridiculous actually. We are the ones that give meaning (literally! it is what our brains do). We are the ones that give value as well, we are the ones that call things good or bad. Would you consider a lion that eats a the cubs of the female he just stole of his competitor immoral? No, because nature and everything around us is A-moral, doesn't make sense, is irrelevant.

The only thing that is .... is the fact that we attribute meaning to it. There IS no meaning, but as Fulham Broadway put it - meaning only emerges when you do shit. This is not something soft or 'esotheric' - your brain taps into meaning when you go out and do shit. Having children gives you more meaning than your brain can comprehend right now - because it is our brain that gives meaning (emotional and cognitive) and it is our brain that is hardwired evolutionary to do this. Its like saying 'i have no football talent - so I won't bother going on a pitch to train. Of course it will not happen and all will be useless. Hazard for example would disagree.

FIND the meaning in what you do and not in that fictional blueprint you make it out to be. That only leads to disappointment and depression. You know what - thinking about meaning can be quite meaningless unless it is connected to who we are a s a species - social, doing thing, looking for means to be a part of a group, procreating, loving and all that other stuff some people find soft.

Get out of that chair and find it. The question you are asking yourself will simply vanish as snow for the sun.

This all is meant as a mate. Take it to heart. Get out of your bunker psychology. break free and challenge the ideas that keep you stuck right now. Only to have that courage is what it means to be free. Otherwise, all you are is a slave of your own repetitive, dark thoughts. Dare to think. Dare to break free and go out there.

This all is meant as a mate. Take it to heart. Get out of your bunker psychology. break free and challenge the ideas that keep you stuck right now. Only to have that courage is what it means to be free. Otherwise, all you are is a slave of your own repetitive, dark thoughts. Dare to think. Dare to break free and go out there.

How?

@manpe,

Seems I can't send you a PM.

I hope there isn't a misunderstanding here as I didn't mean to sound rude or discourteous. I'm sorry if I came across that way.

No misunderstanding or anything. I can see where people are coming from, but I'm just too... don't know what.

How ?

Challenge your own line of thinking every time it happens?

1. Is this true or just an opinion?

2. Is it true in a broader perspective?

3. What is meaning exactly, what is value?

4. ....

Furthermore .... Go actively on the lookout for stuff that interests you. Confront our ideas.

Also, follow my adice from our pm's.

Good luck, mate!

• 1 year later...

Not sure exactly what's going on here.

Neither am I but I do know Depression is an absolute horror . I am too insensitive to suffer from it but two of my loved ones do .

I know there are some on here who are sufferers too and they deserve our total support

Neither am I but I do know Depression is an absolute horror . I am too insensitive to suffer from it but two of my loved ones do .

I know there are some on here who are sufferers too and they deserve our total support

I'm on the mobile and just getting broken lines and the odd line of quotes. Will read on tomorrow...Hope all is fine