Depression

Steve

I've never been diagnosed (never been to a professional), but... but since with this username I'm not anonymous, I will not talk about it more. It's not a safe place for me to talk about it here, wouldn't feel comfortable.

wish you all well

If you need to talk about anything mate! Send me a PM!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a very hard place to be in and unfortunately any number of things can trigger it.

Some of us a very lucky to have family or friends who care about us and keep an eye on us.. But, unfortunately there are those who don't. A few years back my cousins best friend took his life and we were none the wiser of his struggle. He was a very good looking boy with aspirations of becoming a first grade Rugby League player. His parent's had gone through a violent divorce and his girlfriend broke up with him around the same time. He never asked anybody for help or let anybody know how he was feeling. I saw him a week before it happened and he seemed a little down, but nothing to bad.

My point is, so many people who suffer depression don't feel comfortable confiding in people and that's where it can get difficult. If you ever feel down or out, let somebody know. I single good word or gesture could change your life.

It reminds me of a story i once read. Some of you may have already read it but for those who haven't should have a read..

One day, when I was a freshman in high school,

I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school.

His name was Kyle.

It looked like he was carrying all of his books.

I thought to myself, "Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday?

He must really be a nerd."

I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.

As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him.

They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt.

His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him.

He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes

My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him as he crawled around looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye.

As I handed him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are jerks. "

They really should get lives.

" He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!"

There was a big smile on his face.

It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.

I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived.

As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before.

He said he had gone to private school before now.

I would have never hung out with a private school kid before.

We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his books.

He turned out to be a pretty cool kid.

I asked him if he wanted to play a little football with my friends

He said yes.

We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him.

Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again.

I stopped him and said, "Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!

" He just laughed and handed me half the books.

Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends.

When we were seniors we began to think about college.

Kyle decided on Georgetown and I was going to Duke.

I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a problem.

He was going to be a doctor and I was going for business on a football scholarship.

Kyle was valedictorian of our class.

I teased him all the time about being a nerd.

He had to prepare a speech for graduation.

I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak

Graduation day, I saw Kyle.

He looked great.

He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school.

He filled out and actually looked good in glasses.

He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him.

Boy, sometimes I was jealous!

Today was one of those days.

I could see that he was nervous about his speech.

So, I smacked him on the back and said, "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!"

He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled.

" Thanks," he said.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began

"Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years.

Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends...

I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them.

I am going to tell you a story."

I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the story of the first day we met.

He had planned to kill himself over the weekend.

He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home.

He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile.

"Thankfully, I was saved.

My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable."

I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment.

I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile.

Not until that moment did I realize it's depth.

Never underestimate the power of your actions.

With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

For better or for worse.

God puts us all in each others lives to impact one another in some way.

Look for God in others.

Steve, if you ever need anything mate, let me know!

It's a very hard place to be in and unfortunately any number of things can trigger it.

Some of us a very lucky to have family or friends who care about us and keep an eye on us.. But, unfortunately there are those who don't. A few years back my cousins best friend took his life and we were none the wiser of his struggle. He was a very good looking boy with aspirations of becoming a first grade Rugby League player. His parent's had gone through a violent divorce and his girlfriend broke up with him around the same time. He never asked anybody for help or let anybody know how he was feeling. I saw him a week before it happened and he seemed a little down, but nothing to bad.

My point is, so many people who suffer depression don't feel comfortable confiding in people and that's where it can get difficult. If you ever feel down or out, let somebody know. I single good word or gesture could change your life.

It reminds me of a story i once read. Some of you may have already read it but for those who haven't should have a read..

One day, when I was a freshman in high school,

I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school.

His name was Kyle.

It looked like he was carrying all of his books.

I thought to myself, "Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday?

He must really be a nerd."

I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.

As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him.

They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt.

His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him.

He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes

My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him as he crawled around looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye.

As I handed him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are jerks. "

They really should get lives.

" He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!"

There was a big smile on his face.

It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.

I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived.

As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before.

He said he had gone to private school before now.

I would have never hung out with a private school kid before.

We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his books.

He turned out to be a pretty cool kid.

I asked him if he wanted to play a little football with my friends

He said yes.

We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him.

Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again.

I stopped him and said, "Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!

" He just laughed and handed me half the books.

Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends.

When we were seniors we began to think about college.

Kyle decided on Georgetown and I was going to Duke.

I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a problem.

He was going to be a doctor and I was going for business on a football scholarship.

Kyle was valedictorian of our class.

I teased him all the time about being a nerd.

He had to prepare a speech for graduation.

I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak

Graduation day, I saw Kyle.

He looked great.

He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school.

He filled out and actually looked good in glasses.

He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him.

Boy, sometimes I was jealous!

Today was one of those days.

I could see that he was nervous about his speech.

So, I smacked him on the back and said, "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!"

He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled.

" Thanks," he said.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began

"Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years.

Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends...

I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them.

I am going to tell you a story."

I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the story of the first day we met.

He had planned to kill himself over the weekend.

He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home.

He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile.

"Thankfully, I was saved.

My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable."

I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment.

I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile.

Not until that moment did I realize it's depth.

Never underestimate the power of your actions.

With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

For better or for worse.

God puts us all in each others lives to impact one another in some way.

Look for God in others.

Steve, if you ever need anything mate, let me know!

Thank you mate, i honestly means a lot to me! That story is really nice to read. Thanks again!

When the guy working at Mcdonalds gets depressed and starts questioning his real position in life, it interferes with his ability to ask 'would you like fries with that?' with a plastered on smile. So in order for society to function like a well oiled machine, the lowest cogs have been told that being unhappy is wrong.

So it depends on who you ask, whether depression can be good or bad. Society will tell you it's bad, because society likes to manufacture worker bees, not realists, philosophers, artists or entrepreneurs. The rewards are not nearly as material or tangible when someone is depressed, compared to having a solid, happy, reliable if maybe a bit mindless, peasant.

Some of the most depressed people on this planet are the ''creme de la creme'' economically and socially. There are people who work in McDonalds for 5.90 an hour who are happier then a lot of multimillionaire business men/women.

Some of the most depressed people on this planet are the ''creme de la creme'' economically and socially. There are people who work in McDonalds for 5.90 an hour who are happier then a lot of multimillionaire business men/women.

I dont think you'll find many minimum wagers that are happier than millionaires. Just a hunch.

Capitalism, wage slavery, patriarchal and matriarchal power are the engines of mental illness, silently damaging thousands of minds…

Forensic psychology has a new product with which to label people that are fucked off - ‘Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) includes excessive, often persistent anger, frequent temper tantrums or angry outbursts, and disregard for authority’…

I silently suffered for depression for years and everytime I reached out (usually to my mother) I was quickly rebuffed that 'I'll get over it'.

I didn't get over it, and one nervous breakdown later I was in therapy and on anti-depressents. Fow a while they thought I had Bipolar but they dismissed that idea as quickly as they brought it up.

Must say Steve it takes a big man to come on here and public ally admit he struggled , glad things are much better now , depression is one of those things some people take lightly i feel more education on it would help some people. Great Post!

I dont think you'll find many minimum wagers that are happier than millionaires. Just a hunch.

Money doesn't buy you happiness. If anything it buys your fake people and fake friends, fake love. These people won't be around if you go bankrupt. Happiness lies in relationships not in money. My opinion

Money doesn't buy you happiness. If anything it buys your fake people and fake friends, fake love. These people won't be around if you go bankrupt. Happiness lies in relationships not in money. My opinion

I think most people realise money doesnt buy you happiness.

It can buy Chelsea Football Club though, and i'm sure most people would rather be rich and fucked off than poor and depressed.

I think most people realise money doesnt buy you happiness.

It can buy Chelsea Football Club though, and i'm sure most people would rather be rich and fucked off than poor and depressed.

I choose to disagree. My cousin's pal Was a millionaire. His bro committed suicide. His mom died of cardiac arrest. And he was left all alone. Only friends around and a lot of wealth. One night he jumps out of his apartment. Dead!!

It is good say Roman must be a happy person but tbh I wouldn't want to be in his shoes because with alot of wealth he has also gained alot of enemies and is merely a bitch of Putin. Always lives under threat from kremlin. Why do celerities resort to cocaine and other Addictions? They r rich and they should be happy no? But sometimes it is a bit too much and they all wish they cud live a simple life where they can do their own thing without people watching them

I choose to disagree. My cousin's pal Was a millionaire. His bro committed suicide. His mom died of cardiac arrest. And he was left all alone. Only friends around and a lot of wealth. One night he jumps out of his apartment. Dead!!

It is good say Roman must be a happy person but tbh I wouldn't want to be in his shoes because with alot of wealth he has also gained alot of enemies and is merely a bitch of Putin. Always lives under threat from kremlin. Why do celerities resort to cocaine and other Addictions? They r rich and they should be happy no? But sometimes it is a bit too much and they all wish they cud live a simple life where they can do their own thing without people watching them

For every unhappy rich person like your 'cousins , pals, bro' there are millions and millions of unhappy poor people. Abramovichs wealth can buy security guards and minders. the beggar or homeless person sleeping rough is at the mercy of drunken thugs kicking the shit out of him.

No, think I'll stick to my original premise that you took issue with -ie ''I dont think you'll find many minimum wagers that are happier than millionaires. Just a hunch.''

Oh Steve my man, I feel your pain. Depression is such a bitch, I can tell it from personal experience...I'm still suffering from it sometimes, but my friends, family and my love from Chelsea keep me going.

It is so random sometimes...there are days when I feel incredible. I make people laugh all around me and I really enjoy the life, but there are days....very ugly days when I'm just plain nervous and everything seems...pointless. Everything is annoying or boring and it pisses me of that it's so hard to shake of. It's like I have 2 personalities and a coin is thrown which one will it be used for the day when I get up in the morning...

To be honest, I was thinking of writing a pretty much similar thread to this, but due to my recent injury I gave up because it is a bit pain in the ass for me to write now.

I hope you'll never have to deal with it, and thank you for sharing something as deep as that with us :)

It honestly is and until people actually go through it they wont actually know unless they have close friends or family who deal with it. That said, I pray some day a cure is found to help with these chemical imbalances in the brain because no one deserves to suffer with the stuff that went through mine and so many others heads on a daily basis.

Never gone through with it myself.Theres been days when felt low but never very often and prob more of a horomone thing and all so cant begin to feel how your going through but just glad you've had the courage to face it?Up to it?However you want to put it and seeing the postives that are there and just hope it does get better..sorry if thats sounds odd bad at wording things

I remember my mum saying about her friend who suffered from post natal depression..her baby had a birth mark on their face and some days she was fine then other days just felt everyone was lookin at her and her baby.And despite the support being around her,having her family around,felt unable to turn and one day went up to the train station and that was that...its just horrible to see people going through this and glad to hear you are recovering..

I silently suffered for depression for years and everytime I reached out (usually to my mother) I was quickly rebuffed that 'I'll get over it'.

I didn't get over it, and one nervous breakdown later I was in therapy and on anti-depressents. Fow a while they thought I had Bipolar but they dismissed that idea as quickly as they brought it up.

I hope you are doing better mate! Everyone tells you that you will get over it but if only it was that simple! Fight on my friend and you will win!

That is something i told myself everyday for a whole year! "I will Win!"

Must say Steve it takes a big man to come on here and public ally admit he struggled , glad things are much better now , depression is one of those things some people take lightly i feel more education on it would help some people. Great Post!

Yes you are right, depression is taken to lightly in some cases and i agree that more need to be done to prevent it. Not so much preventing it but preventing situations that might happen after. It's not really something you can stop unfortunately.

Also Thank you for the kind words!

Oh Steve my man, I feel your pain. Depression is such a bitch, I can tell it from personal experience...I'm still suffering from it sometimes, but my friends, family and my love from Chelsea keep me going.

It is so random sometimes...there are days when I feel incredible. I make people laugh all around me and I really enjoy the life, but there are days....very ugly days when I'm just plain nervous and everything seems...pointless. Everything is annoying or boring and it pisses me of that it's so hard to shake of. It's like I have 2 personalities and a coin is thrown which one will it be used for the day when I get up in the morning...

To be honest, I was thinking of writing a pretty much similar thread to this, but due to my recent injury I gave up because it is a bit pain in the ass for me to write now.

I hope you'll never have to deal with it, and thank you for sharing something as deep as that with us :)

It can be very off and on but once you are in a serious state its hard to think about anything else besides the wrongs in your life. That's where you need to fight and just keep looking forward and find positives about life, and there is so many out there!!

Thank you mate! I more shared it to help others, because i know its something so many people deal with and struggle to come out and talk about but its absolutely the best thing you can do. Talking about the issues with anyone is better then bottling it inside!

Never gone through with it myself.Theres been days when felt low but never very often and prob more of a horomone thing and all so cant begin to feel how your going through but just glad you've had the courage to face it?Up to it?However you want to put it and seeing the postives that are there and just hope it does get better..sorry if thats sounds odd bad at wording things

I remember my mum saying about her friend who suffered from post natal depression..her baby had a birth mark on their face and some days she was fine then other days just felt everyone was lookin at her and her baby.And despite the support being around her,having her family around,felt unable to turn and one day went up to the train station and that was that...its just horrible to see people going through this and glad to hear you are recovering..

Thank you Layla!! I'm doing much better!