Jose Bosingwa is...

In my opinion Bosingwa is has been at a disadvantage on the pitch for a long time. Last year he got absolutely no help from the the right sided forward which was either Kalou or Anelka, and considering Anelka was playing some deep slightly right sided but basically central role that he made up, and Carlo should never have let him play, he was expected to provide all the width, do all the attacking and defending on the right, I think he did well. It's his attacking i've been disappointed with this season. His crossing has been shocking and he's been too tentative in taking on his man. Which is unfortunate, because when he tries to take on opposition players, he's often very good at it.

I'm glad someone highlighted the lack of good Full-backs in the game, because i've always though it's the position with the least amount of world class players. Infact, I would say their aren't much more than 5 world class full-backs. Luckily for us, we have one.

I hope Sturridge manages to secure his place on the right and takes the pressure off Bosingwa. Cole's work load has been lightened massively by the signing of Mata and it's showed in his play. Cole's much more safe in possession and picks his moments to get forward. Where as Bosingwa basically has to, or there is no outball on the right, making the formation lopsided.

Please can we stop wanting to make rash decisions like sell our players, whenever they're not playing amazingly. All players go through spells where they aren't playing amazing every game. But Bosingwa has by no means been terrible.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gave the topic a more serious read and I'll stick by my original post.

The bare truth is that I have not felt safe with him at RB in any game since his return from injury and that is way too many games for me to still have doubts about what I think of his ability.

Frankly I don't think he has what it takes to defend at this level anymore. Then again this may be because I can't forget the way Giggs made him looks like a school-boy.

He's ok to me. For big games though I really prefer Luiz at CB with Ivanovic at RB. It works so well because they can interchange positions nicely. I think Bos is slow getting back sometimes really. But it's also important to note that our left side is stronger than our right side in terms of players and ability etc. so we usually have less options there, resulting in him losing the ball or the opposing team enjoying their time on that side of the pitch.

I prefer Ivanovic as a RB to Bosingwa, that's my thoughts on him. Ok player because he's good going forward and could be better defending, balances out.

You are fucking kidding me right?...

some people on here are incredibly selfish, Bosingwa has put in great performances and for just one you want to sell him, it's actually getting fucking stupid now...

When is the last time he made a big (positive) impact against a major opponent? 2 nice moves and everyone forgets his horrific final product most of the time

Well let us look at all the other RB and RWB in the world today. But first let's forget about Ivanovic for the moment.

Maicon

Sergio Ramos

Dani Alves

Gregory Van Der Wiel

Anthony Réveillère

Rod Fanni

Azpilicueta

Micah Richards

That is all I can think of. SO, who would you pick?

You forgot Lahm. Definitely the best RB imo.

When is the last time he made a big (positive) impact against a major opponent? 2 nice moves and everyone forgets his horrific final product most of the time

Bosingwa this season has played brilliantly, and solid at right back, in defence he has been good, people are just complaining because of one mistake, and are wanting him to be sold. This club will get no where if we are selling players for stupid mistakes. And he has made good impact against openents, okay so tell me what right back do you want?, and what right back makes huge impacts against oppenents week in week out?. Okay then should we go out and splash the cash on the likes of Danny Alves?, he's good but can sometimes show he's not good enough for the barcelona squad at times. Or should we go buy Maicon?, he hasn't played too well in recent times, i don't think he's the best right back in the world anymore. Bosingwa is a great right back, and you should appreciate him, because we have two choices, a good offensive right back and good defensive right back (Ivanovic), but Bosingwa is even solid defending, in the Man U match he handeled Young very well, if any fulback in that game was struggling, it was Cole.

Since his first priority is being a defender, I'd say he did do good against a major opponent when he prevented a certain Ashley Young from making a "big (positive) impact".

I can't believe you're talking about horrific final products when his lone goal and assist have helped us seal two games this season for a win.

I'm not asking for Bosingwa to painted in gold, but most of the criticism on this thread is unwarranted...season's only begun...

I like Ivanovic as much as the next Chelsea fan. I will however never understand why anybody would want him at RB over Bosingwa. Ivan's crosses aren't much better if at all, and he's nowhere near as pacey. Bosingwa has been pretty solid so far this season. For me Ivan is an emergency RB only, but a very nice CB option.

id personally be more inclined to use bosingwa against poorer teams or at home and against the top sides when we need to get the defending right play ivanovic with luiz partnering terry. For 1 i think luiz is a really positive player who can make a difference in tight games and seems to have a knack of making things happen. Althouh i think bosingwa did well against ashley young i dont particulary think he defended that well in the back line. Hes not a natural defender who wants to put himself on the line and thats needed more so against top side. I think your better off having your ball player in the centre as most top sides only play 1 upfront. For people saying that he was better then ashley cole against man utd id say it was very close, i think ash didnt have the best game but that tackle on hernandez albeit being a bit dangerous is a great example of a defending full back who is in the right position to make a challenge where bosingwa wdnt have been there imo to put hernandexz under pressure and he might have scored.

You forgot Lahm. Definitely the best RB imo.

I mentioned him in a later post. Which really is kind of odd, because I'm always preaching about how good the current crop of German footballers are.

But saying that, I've forgotten to mention the best Fullback/Wingback in the world: Philipp Lahm. Though it would be a strange day to see him leaving Munich for Chelsea.

Well let us look at all the other RB and RWB in the world today. But first let's forget about Ivanovic for the moment.

Maicon

Sergio Ramos

Dani Alves

Gregory Van Der Wiel

Anthony Réveillère

Rod Fanni

Azpilicueta

Micah Richards

That is all I can think of. SO, who would you pick?

Sagna?

Since his first priority is being a defender, I'd say he did do good against a major opponent when he prevented a certain Ashley Young from making a "big (positive) impact".

I can't believe you're talking about horrific final products when his lone goal and assist have helped us seal two games this season for a win.

I'm not asking for Bosingwa to painted in gold, but most of the criticism on this thread is unwarranted...season's only begun...

Have you been watching the games or just highlight packages? Can't tell by your post.

The guy is a VASTLY inferior crosser of the ball compared to 4 of our center forwards, now thats a bad sign. He has been better of late defensively but he simply lacks the strength to be consistent defender in the back third... Not to mention he puts more balls out of play when he tries to cross than anyone else. Besides the 1 good move + cross and the 1 shot where the whole defense backed off (because they know how bad his final product is) his delivery has been a horror show.

He did well against Ashley Young because he's the only type of player Bos matches up well with defensively-- highly reliant on pace and direct play, doesn't offer much else. Ash couldn't blow by Bos so he wasn't doing much, but there's a ton of guys that can out muscle or fool Bos with smarts or skills. He isn't the smartest player in the squad. I wish the guy was a better crosser and more intelligent but he isn't, if he was then he'd be a right footed Ashley Cole.

Van Der Weil might not be a better overall RB than Bosingwa right now but he is young, and stronger, better defensively and has a better end product than Bos. He offers more upside and less compromise in both ends of the pitch.

A player like Bosingwa has to be able to at least get average crosses in consistently, he doesn't even do that.

Do you remember last season, or even the one before that? Bos has been the weakest link the whole time he's been here. RB problems have been exactly why our attack has been so left sided for going on 3+ years (pretty much since we lost Robben)

Have you been watching the games or just highlight packages? Can't tell by your post.

The guy is a VASTLY inferior crosser of the ball compared to 4 of our center forwards, now thats a bad sign. He has been better of late defensively but he simply lacks the strength to be consistent defender in the back third... Not to mention he puts more balls out of play when he tries to cross than anyone else. Besides the 1 good move + cross and the 1 shot where the whole defense backed off (because they know how bad his final product is) his delivery has been a horror show.

He did well against Ashley Young because he's the only type of player Bos matches up well with defensively-- highly reliant on pace and direct play, doesn't offer much else. Ash couldn't blow by Bos so he wasn't doing much, but there's a ton of guys that can out muscle or fool Bos with smarts or skills. He isn't the smartest player in the squad. I wish the guy was a better crosser and more intelligent but he isn't, if he was then he'd be a right footed Ashley Cole.

Van Der Weil might not be a better overall RB than Bosingwa right now but he is young, and stronger, better defensively and has a better end product than Bos. He offers more upside and less compromise in both ends of the pitch.

A player like Bosingwa has to be able to at least get average crosses in consistently, he doesn't even do that.

Do you remember last season, or even the one before that? Bos has been the weakest link the whole time he's been here. RB problems have been exactly why our attack has been so left sided for going on 3+ years (pretty much since we lost Robben)

Ahem...don't most wingers (at least the good ones) fit that description? Maybe you want Jose to play as a good CB as well..If that's the case I apologize...I didn't know you had no idea what you were talking about

About his crosses...

You want to know why his crosses look so bad? Because he puts in so many and he lacks the consistency (which is why he's a wing back and not a wing forward) And why does he put in so many crosses? Because there's no one else on the right to do so on a regular basis. Tell me the name of one good right-footed winger, apart from Drogba or Anelka (who don't exactly fit the description) on our team.

Ahem...don't most wingers (at least the good ones) fit that description? Maybe you want Jose to play as a good CB as well..If that's the case I apologize...I didn't know you had no idea what you were talking about

About his crosses...

You want to know why his crosses look so bad? Because he puts in so many and he lacks the consistency (which is why he's a wing back and not a wing forward) And why does he put in so many crosses? Because there's no one else on the right to do so on a regular basis. Tell me the name of one good right-footed winger, apart from Drogba or Anelka (who don't exactly fit the description) on our team.

Uh, there are lots of players who play around the left mid/left wing space, traditional wingers are a rare breed nowadays. Between that comment and the one about how he puts so many crosses in, I'm really not sure if you watch the games. He doesn't attempt many crosses at all, maybe 5-6 a game, and most of those come closer to the crossbar than any player on the pitch. It is incredibly rare that he delivers a cross into a dangerous area.

The reason why Bosingwa is getting time is because we haven't sorted out the RB issue. Its been a problem for years now and AVB is at the moment compensating with Raul to provide some width from the mid. Its already becoming apparent we don't have any player in the squad that has top shelf attacking quality in any form (crosses or goal threat) on the right side. I'm sure that Roman has been going after Ramos vigorously but it hasn't worked out, maybe Lahm too, but these are tough guys to get. VDW is attainable but I think AVB wants to exhaust is options before taking a risk on him and getting rid of Bos.

Anelka, Drogba, Torres, Sturridge are all not crossers of the ball in any part of their typical roles, but yet they do it well enough to get balls in when they are in position, something that can't be said of Bos. Now you can insult me or my opinion but I don't care, that only shines on you, not me. Anyone that pays attention to the clubs problems of the last year or 2 has known about what I'm saying for a while.