Jose Bosingwa is...

I think his defensive abilities are a bit under-rated....

IMO, he's probably one of maybe two people in the team who, if he puts his mind to it, can go one on one with any winger and actually stop him...whether it be a Messi or Ashley Young for that matter...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bosingwa is not much better than Ivanović offensively, but Ivanović is way better than Bosingwa defensively.

thank you..did anyone see ramires' second goal and who played the ball too him he has a goal and a few assists this season and people are righting him off..what about last season when we only really had ivan and he had bad ames you were not calling for his head...

i think if its not broke don't fix it the backline needs some tweaks and he could use some work on his defending but the style we play we need a guy like him as long as we have cover

He was very poor today actually. Shaky defending, awful crossing and his runs forward were so predictable. Lost the ball many times and added nothing offensively really. If you compare him to Cole, they're totally different. Cole was brilliant both defensively and offensively. Bosingwa shows no aggression or pressure and often gets beaten in one on one battles.

His mistake led to the goal and nobody can deny it. In set pieces you have to mark your opponent or he's going to punish you. His job was to mark one man (not two or three) and he did nothing to prevent him from scoring. He didn't mark his man at all, it's okay if he jumps over you or somehow manages to head the ball luckily, but that Swansea player had all the space in the world.

AVB should either play with Ivanovic on that right flank (whilst Luiz as a CB) or go for a right defender in the January window. Bosingwa is imo our weakest player and our worst performer at the moment.

You don't see a lot of wing backs with great defending skills. Cole is a rare exception. For a wing back Bosingwa is actually not bad at defending. He's a decent marker and a tackler who has a fair amount of composure and skills to help him get around trouble. On his day, he can keep any winger under control, as he showed at OT last week against Ashley Young, who's on fire. But he does lack consistency and concentration, which is why he can be frustrating at times. Still, he's a very good player, and I don't think finding someone significantly better than him will be that easy. Having said that, though, I'd rather see Ivanovic on the right side with Luiz in the middle because I want to see more stability in defense.

i think people are being too damn critical of bosingwa. dont forget guys that he was our best defender against manu (or so i feel), he completely nullified young. today we were 3-0up and sometimes u just switch off, that is probably what might have happened. plus i think he is a great option for us while going forward. maybe we expect him to be more like cole (awesome in both defense and attack) but jose is not as strong defensively but i dont think there are many rbs who are better than him.

Jose Bosingwa is....For Sale

We need another right back in the winter transfer window.He is very bad at defending.I liked him before the injury.He had good shot.Good cross and no so bad at defending.Now he is very bad in defending and crosses.Sometimes is good in shooting but sometimes....

You are fucking kidding me right?...

some people on here are incredibly selfish, Bosingwa has put in great performances and for just one you want to sell him, it's actually getting fucking stupid now...

Bosingwa is a great RWB so shut the fuck up haters. I love having 2 RBs.....Well a RB and RWB (Ivan and Jose) as it mixes things up and can be useful depending on wether we need to attack or defend.

Someone puts in a bad performance and people on here want them gone... Bosingwa also got an assist v Swansea.

Bosingwa is the most frustrating player. He is not a good defender and if you think so you are blind to the fact how often he is out of position. When he goes forward he slows the play a whole lot with his ridiculous step overs or by running into defender, 1 in 5 tries he will get around the player and then he will cut it back and try again. Ivan is much more solid at right back and deserve to be playing there instead of Boss. I understand it is not his natural position but when Alex and Luiz are fully fit i would much prefer see them central and Ivan at right back over Boss.

Look at the united games last season, twice he cost us goals from his lack of judgement of play. He was even in the right positions but his defensive knowledge is so far off. He lets players get on the inside of him far to easily and if you think otherwise then go watch the last 3 games we have played on replay.

The only thing benefiting Jose is his pace and how he can get back pretty quick, but by the time he is there he does something stupid anyway. Not saying this is on all occasions but most of the time this happens.

Well let us look at all the other RB and RWB in the world today. But first let's forget about Ivanovic for the moment.

Maicon

Sergio Ramos

Dani Alves

Gregory Van Der Wiel

Anthony Réveillère

Rod Fanni

Azpilicueta

Micah Richards

That is all I can think of. SO, who would you pick?

honestly i thought bosingwa was decent in defending. yes he was not good in defending set pieces, but he did well to stop sinclair's crosses, stop him from getting past him, basically stopping his attacking instincts on our right handside.

Well let us look at all the other RB and RWB in the world today. But first let's forget about Ivanovic for the moment.

Maicon

Sergio Ramos

Dani Alves

Gregory Van Der Wiel

Anthony Réveillère

Rod Fanni

Azpilicueta

Micah Richards

That is all I can think of. SO, who would you pick?

Maicon, Ramos or Alves

There is really a shortage of world class wing backs/full backs, I think it might be the most unpopular position for children and hence it shows on higher level. You have to face quick and witty wingers and it can really fuck you up mentally, since it's one of the most important jobs on the field to contain the likes of Messi, Ronaldinho, Neymar, Ronaldo, Nani and they will almost always humiliate you and make you look like a fool. Defending against world class wingers is probably the hardest task in defense and proper full backs who don't get humiliated in attack AND defence are real gems... Even midfielders don't have to be as complete as them. They act like box-to-box midfielders throughout the game, only on the flanks and have greater responsibility in defence.

I like Bosingwa.

Under Villas-Boas he has definitely improved his game. Tbh, he was never renowned for his defending, even in 2008 when he was rated one of the best in the world. Though, remembering the United game, he did very well keeping Ashley Young at bay! So he's not as "clumsy" as being made out.

He does need to improve on his crossing. Sometimes his delivery is an absolute gem, other times he'll fail to clear the first defender. Obviously he's not the best RB in the world, but he's not as bad as people are making him out to be.

Also, I'm yet to see yesterday's game, which I presume this thread has derived from?

P.s. On the note of replacements? Billy Clifford. Definitely can compete with that Scumpool RB Jon Flanagan.

Maicon, Ramos or Alves

There is really a shortage of world class wing backs/full backs, I think it might be the most unpopular position for children and hence it shows on higher level. You have to face quick and witty wingers and it can really fuck you up mentally, since it's one of the most important jobs on the field to contain the likes of Messi, Ronaldinho, Neymar and Ronaldo and they will almost always humiliate you and make you look like a fool. Defending against world class wingers is probably the hardest task in defense and proper full backs who don't get humiliated in attack AND defence are real gems.

I've always admired the Italian approach to defending, 'either the ball gets past or the player, never both.' You are right though, there aren't that many Fullbacks/Wingbacks, that are 'good' enough for Chelsea. Maybe our Academy could create a few in the coming years.

But saying that, I've forgotten to mention the best Fullback/Wingback in the world: Philipp Lahm. Though it would be a strange day to see him leaving Munich for Chelsea.

I like Bosingwa.

Under Villas-Boas he has definitely improved his game. Tbh, he was never renowned for his defending, even in 2008 when he was rated one of the best in the world. Though, remembering the United game, he did very well keeping Ashley Young at bay! So he's not as "clumsy" as being made out.

He does need to improve on his crossing. Sometimes his delivery is an absolute gem, other times he'll fail to clear the first defender. Obviously he's not the best RB in the world, but he's not as bad as people are making him out to be.

Also, I'm yet to see yesterday's game, which I presume this thread has derived from?

he made on mistake yesterday lost his marker for the swansea goal and people are on his case......dont see people attacking cole when nani roasted him in the man u game. anyway i think he has been good this season

he made on mistake yesterday lost his marker for the swansea goal and people are on his case......dont see people attacking cole when nani roasted him in the man u game. anyway i think he has been good this season

That doesn't surprise me.

Like many have said, he's not very good at defensive intelligence. Especially when it comes to man marking (i.e. Giggs last season). However, like I said, he's hot and cold. He did well vs United last week vs. Ashley Young and this week not so well.

He's not the best RB in the world, especially defensively. That's why the holding player is quite crucial, it's his role that allows the full back to attack so much.

Edit: The goal was from a set-piece, I see. Well, he's not the first to lose his marker & he won't be the last. I.e. Lampard losing Smalling last week.