Messi: not just great, but the best?

Carefree Tom

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Not sure why he got the MVP award, shouldn't it be traditionally from the winning team? One of Müller or Kroos would have been excellent and more appropriate shouts, but considering Kroos didn't have the best in the final and Müller was fantastic throughout, I would have given it to him. Messi definitely deserves a place in the team of the tournament, but in the end he was still a loser, thus not worthy of gold anything.

I believe it's FIFA's way of trying to force a new 'Maradona' down our throats.

I do kinda wonder if we will ever see Messi at his devastating best again like he was under Guardiola. His goalscoring figures are still impressive even under Vilanova and Martino but his performances since Guardiola left Barcelona have been somewhat fragmented and inconsistent to say the least.

Messi is by far the best player in this generation.

However, the best attacker ever for me is Ronaldo. His physical attributes combined with his technique and intangibles is unheard of these days in football.

If even Maradona says that. I also didn't see any faintest smile on Messi when accepting the award... you could say it was because he had just lost, but I also think he knew he didn't deserve it. There was no pride in him when he stood up there with his trophy. This award should be given to the losing team only if they have unarguably the most outstanding performer - Messi was far from that and it took the prestige away from this award with a sulking and depressed player accepting it.

He got the MVP award because Argentina are fucking shit, and he did a brilliant job in dragging them to the final.

I personally think the winner should have been Neuer.

Neuer? Nah, I feel like that's a pitcher winning MVP. Goalies have their own awards. James led in scoring and 2 assists in 5 games. Clearly the best player.

Lionel 'Thierry Henry' Messi - both significant chokers ;)

The MVP should have gone to that out of contract Goalie - who was amazing or Rodriguez

Sad....

Ochoa? Lol.

James for sure.