Messi: not just great, but the best?

Carefree Tom

Is Lionel Messi the best player that has ever graced a football pitch?

For the past 5 years, you hear the name Messi mentioned several times a season. If it's not something spectacular he's done in La Liga, it's something which we witness in the CL. At the age of 23, he is already a legend in his own rights... and just think about what he could achieve in the next 10 years.

But can he really be as good as, or even better, than the legendary names of the past 50 years? i.e. Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff etc.

:chelsea2:

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Lionel Messi the best player that has ever graced a football pitch?

For the past 5 years, you hear the name Messi mentioned several times a season. If it's not something spectacular he's done in La Liga, it's something which we witness in the CL. At the age of 23, he is already a legend in his own rights... and just think about what he could achieve in the next 10 years.

But can he really be as good as, or even better, than the legendary names of the past 50 years? i.e. Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff etc.

:chelsea2:

just my opinion ..but he is certainly one of the best Ive seen and thats in watching for over 65 years...certainly for his age he is

One of the best to play club football. I want him to excel on national level also, but nowadays it's harder, I don't think there is a standout player at the moment on national football level. It's too soon to label him as the best ever, if he keeps at it for years to come, then I might consider saying in the future "I witnessed the greatest player ever". Of modern football I think he's fairly on par with the two Ronaldos and Ronaldinho. I actually think Fat Ronaldo surpasses him for the moment being and Ronaldinho was more entertaining to watch, but Messi is still young and has scary talent... I won't compare him to Peles and Maradonas, because they played in different eras.

1.Maradona the greatest.

2.Messi without Xavi and Iniesta is nothing, with Xavi and Iniesta he is best in the world, just watch his games for Argentina.

Speculative.

Just because he doesn't play as well with the Argentines doesn't mean Xavi & Iniesta make him who he is. He still shines when they don't play with him at Barca. Of course they are a factor, but he's still very, very good individually.

In the end.. All they provide is a very accurate pass. But what Messi does is.. Extraordinary.