NFL/College Football (the pointy kind) Fans

Tortilla9

Btw -- I'm thinking about downloading a recent Super Bowl game to watch. Could you guys recommend any particular exciting ones? Preferably in the last 5-7 years. Cheers!

Not every Super Bowl is super. The Steelers vs Cardinals from a years back was pretty good.

My second team, the Falcons, stunk up the joint Sunday. That was sad.

My first team, the Chargers, came out with the win. For awhile I thought it was going to be typical Chargers starting out the season with a loss. If they could start out the season the way they end it.... they might make the playoffs consistently and have home field advantage.

Not every Super Bowl is super. The Steelers vs Cardinals from a years back was pretty good.

Yeh, I know. That's why I asked :D Thanks!

Also, can someone help me out with these few questions:

- I know every year there's a draft and kinda know how it works. How many new players does each NFL team get via the draft each season? Approx how many years do am footballers last? E.g. football players start to decline once they reach 31/32. Is it the same for am footballers? Do (the best) players generally tend to stay at the same team throughout their career or do they move around?

- Why do teams decide to punt? I've watched a few games but can't figure out what that's about. Also, when a pass by a QB is incomplete, does he start over at the same place? If the next pass is incomplete as well, does possession switch? or does possession only switch if the ball is picked off by an opposing team player?

and what is the little timer that runs before the QB takes the snap?

I don't understand the draft very well but I know the order of teams in the draft has to do with their record and they can choose to give up a first round draft pick in order to pick up a player from another team. One of the other guys will need to explain the rest.

this is from wikianswers

Each of the 32 NFL teams gets one selection per round (there are 7 rounds) in the draft to select a player who played in college the previous season. The team that wins the Super Bowl selects last (32nd) in each round. The team that loses the Super Bowl selects next to last (31st) in each round. The other 30 teams are placed in order of worst regular season record to best regular season record with the team with the worst regular season record selecting first.

Draft choices may be traded for players or for other draft choices.

The first two rounds of the draft are held one day, the next five rounds are held the following day. Selections are made one at a time ... the first team will select a player, then the next team will select a player, and so on. Fo the first two rounds, teams have ten minutes from the time the team before them selects their player until they must select theirs. For rounds three through seven, teams have five minutes to make their selection.

Punting is usually done on the 4th down when it has been decided that there is no way the team is going to get a first down (10 yards). I think but again one of the guys may have a better explanation

Hope it helps... I really do understand the real football better

USC Trojans - college (I am a Trojan for life, class of 2003)

San Diego Chargers - NFL (my hometown team)

Barkley had a good game Saturday - my kid was there watching. Still a few holes here and there. Will be nice to see how they recover once the sanctions are over. They got screwed there by the NCAA especially considering what Ohio St, Auburn, and others have done.

Chargers - Brady is on fire right now, Ochocinco not so much. Still think/hope the Chargers make the playoffs this year.

I know the Falcons beat the Eagles Sunday night but it wasn't pretty. Speaking of not pretty, Vick's helmet to helmet hit with his own teammate. He didn't know where he was and was coughing up blood. The Eagles want him to stay in the pocket more so he doesn't get hurt making runs. Stays in the pocket and gets involved in a fluke play with his own teammate.

Julio Jones' pregame catch caught the eye:

http://cdn0.sbnation.../JULIOJONES.gif

Edited by Tortilla9

Barkley had a good game Saturday - my kid was there watching. Still a few holes here and there. Will be nice to see how they recover once the sanctions are over. They got screwed there by the NCAA especially considering what Ohio St, Auburn, and others have done.

Chargers - Brady is on fire right now, Ochocinco not so much. Still think/hope the Chargers make the playoffs this year.

USC is starting to click on offense, Robert Woods is a BEAST!!!! I think that kid could be an NFL WR, right now! and it shows when he lines up against DB's.

Brady is having an amazing year, as always. I don't think it would have mattered what D scheme the bolts showed Brady, he was going to torch our D. I was talking to a co-worker about T. Brady and I said he reminds me of Michael Jordan of the mid 90s, it doesn't matter how they defended him he was going to score. That being said, GO BOLTS!

Do you go to Chargers games? My daughter is a huge football fan and would love to see a game before she heads off to college next year. I'll make the splurge and buy some tickets. Recommend any section? Don't want her sitting with the drunks but we don't want to be sitting with the hoity toity (sp?) boring people either.

Do you go to Chargers games? My daughter is a huge football fan and would love to see a game before she heads off to college next year. I'll make the splurge and buy some tickets. Recommend any section? Don't want her sitting with the drunks but we don't want to be sitting with the hoity toity (sp?) boring people either.

Ok for a daughter, hmmmm. That would def. be a NO to the Raider game. When Bolt and Raider fans get drunk it's not the best place especially for a young female. Other than that game it should be cool. A good section to sit in ok, I personally like Plaza 36 or as close as possible to that section, field is closer but if you get seats near the endzone you might miss plays from the 10 yrd line in (the most exciting part of the field) in the Plaza section you are little higher up but close enough so don't to miss a play. Check out seatdata.com for view of seats at Qualcomm stadium. Whichever game you choose, don't choose view level seating. People seem to be much more rowdy up there and the seats are too high up.

Thanks for the info. We don't want the nosebleed seats either. Hell, I'm old and I can't see that far anymore. Yeah, we'd already written off the Raiders game. Might end up doing the 2 game plan. Beauty of San Diego the weather isn't an issue.

Talking about nosebleed seats: we used to live in AZ and the Suns were in the Finals playing against Jordan in his supposed last game. The Suns opened up seats the weekend of the game. We called in, got lucky, and got 2 seats. They were literally the highest seats in the arena, no rows, nothing behind us - just wall and ceiling. The seats sucked but it was a great game and for a short while we got to say we saw Jordan play his last game and win his last title.

Thanks for the info. We don't want the nosebleed seats either. Hell, I'm old and I can't see that far anymore. Yeah, we'd already written off the Raiders game. Might end up doing the 2 game plan. Beauty of San Diego the weather isn't an issue.

Talking about nosebleed seats: we used to live in AZ and the Suns were in the Finals playing against Jordan in his supposed last game. The Suns opened up seats the weekend of the game. We called in, got lucky, and got 2 seats. They were literally the highest seats in the arena, no rows, nothing behind us - just wall and ceiling. The seats sucked but it was a great game and for a short while we got to say we saw Jordan play his last game and win his last title.

Nosebleed seats are the worst. But that must have been an awesome event. I am a HUGE M.J. fan, like 99% of people my age (30 yrs old) we grew up being a fan of the guy. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate just let me know. %28Y%29.gif

Falcons aren't doing themselves any favors right now.

Detroit and Buffalo the biggest come from behind winners or are the Vikings and Patriots the biggest losers for blowing huge leads?

Chargers are 2-1 in September and that never happens.

USC had an awful game last night against ASU. 3 turnovers driving deep into ASU territory were hard to watch.

SEC defenses are on a roll. Bama's defense was dominant against the Razorbacks. Garcia at USC (South Carolina) is a mental midget at times.

Cowboys won on 6 field goals last night and it was an ugly game. I'm not a Cowboys fan or a fan of Romo but last night I was impressed with Romo's toughness. His center was a trainwreck. I think I could have snapped the ball better. His wide receivers were clueless out there at times. Washington is never going to get anywhere with Grossman. Watching Shanahan on the sideline wondering what he was thinking. "I used to coach Elway, now I coach Grossman." Washington's time management in the final 2 minutes and at 2:07 was horrible. Don't call a time out at 2:07 when the Cowboys have the ball and are driving. Do try to get out of bounds and stop the clock when you have the ball and are trying to drive down the field in the final 2 minutes.