test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tortilla9

NFL/College Football (the pointy kind) Fans

Started by Tortilla9,

1,029 posts in this topic

What's the deal with the new ugly college uniforms? I don't mind a little color and uniqueness but some of these uniforms are plain ugly. Oregon's hurt my eyes with all their fluorescent brilliance. The Maryland uniform was an eyesore. Georgia's looked like Power Rangers. I thought they were ugly. My daughter thought they were "sick". She said I was just old. Possibly.

Oregon's uniforms are the work of Phil Knight, Nike's CEO. Maryland's are the handiwork of the Under Armour CEO who is a MD alum. Every Xmas he sends Phil a Xmas card to let him know he's coming. I admire that chutzpah but not the uniforms.

Why do I never think of them? Wasn't Dungy and Gruden their coach?

Dungy led them to the '99 NFC Championship. Gruden won the Super Bowl with them in 2002.

Thursday night football, NFL starts tonight. Green Bay vs Saints. I'm going with the Pack at Lambeau Field. I do like the little things the Saints have been doing off season. Wonder if the Brees contract talks will have any affect. Don't think so but you never know.

Peyton Manning out for weeks/months with another neck surgery. Me thinks the Colts are screwed.

I do watch the NFL from time to time, Really need to pick a team to support, I'm mainly a NBA guy when it comes American sports.

I do watch the NFL from time to time, Really need to pick a team to support, I'm mainly a NBA guy when it comes American sports.

NBA - Lakers

NFL - Chargers (down the road about an hour), Falcons with some SEC ties, whoever is playing the Raiders

College - Alabama, whoever is playing Notre dame

NBA - Lakers

NFL - Chargers (down the road about an hour), Falcons with some SEC ties, whoever is playing the Raiders

College - Alabama, whoever is playing Notre dame

I'm a big Miami heat fan , recently got the latino shirt with Lebron on the back.Guessing you hate the Heat like the rest of the NBA fans do ?

I'm a big Miami heat fan , recently got the latino shirt with Lebron on the back.Guessing you hate the Heat like the rest of the NBA fans do ?

OMG a stab in the heart with that comment. Don't dislike the Heat per se, don't like Lebron. Let's say I wasn't disappointed when Lebron flamed out in the finals and his talents didn't win him a ring. Plus he's got some interest in LFC so another reason to dislike him. Doesn't matter right now because the NBA talks are slowly going nowhere. NBA owners much more willing to give up a season than NFL owners.

OMG a stab in the heart with that comment. Don't dislike the Heat per se, don't like Lebron. Let's say I wasn't disappointed when Lebron flamed out in the finals and his talents didn't win him a ring. Plus he's got some interest in LFC so another reason to dislike him. Doesn't matter right now because the NBA talks are slowly going nowhere. NBA owners much more willing to give up a season than NFL owners.

Argh I wasn't happy about the Finals , I stayed up for every game and he really disappointed me, I thought Bosh would be the one to flame out but boy was I wrong. I know man :/ Stupid NBA. On the positive side NBA 2K12 is still coming out.

I grew up in Michigan so if I watch NFL/NBA/baseball I support Detroit. I also keep tabs on the Purdue Alumni in the NFL/NBA. I have to say that I have only ever been to Tiger games and that I hate the new stadium. The new one is awful.

College sports: I am a Purdue Alumna so I support my Boilermakers through the good, the bad, and the ugly!! I have two other alma maters (UMASS and CBU) but they just don't compare to Big Ten sports. I lived 9 years in Memphis, but that was SEC hell for me, couldn't find Big Ten games on TV.

I grew up in Michigan so if I watch NFL/NBA/baseball I support Detroit.

No love for Red Wings? :mellow:

I also support Detroit sports teams, and love Red Wings as much as Chelsea. Can't wait for Sunday when Lions start their campaign against the Bucs!

I grew up in Michigan so if I watch NFL/NBA/baseball I support Detroit. I also keep tabs on the Purdue Alumni in the NFL/NBA. I have to say that I have only ever been to Tiger games and that I hate the new stadium. The new one is awful.

College sports: I am a Purdue Alumna so I support my Boilermakers through the good, the bad, and the ugly!! I have two other alma maters (UMASS and CBU) but they just don't compare to Big Ten sports. I lived 9 years in Memphis, but that was SEC hell for me, couldn't find Big Ten games on TV.

well Tigers will make the playoffs for certain now ... likely Red Sox will get wild card..

Never a big follower of Detroit teams - a little outside my geographical area. Detroit always had some players who made you stop and watch: Barry Sanders, Yzerman, now Suh. I know there are others but those come quickly to mind.

BTW, has anybody watched the SEC Storied featuring Herschel Walker? I watched it last night and a what a blast from the past. I forgot how great he was. It highlighted his 3 years at Georgia. My daughter walked in, saw one of Herschel's runs/run over/run through multiple players/burst of speed and was amazed. She actually stopped and watched the whole thing with me. Afterward she said "what a bad ass he was". He's 49 years old and he looks pretty amazing for a man nearing the big 5-0. At the end he was training with the current Georgia football team. He was smoking some of those kids almost 30 years younger than him.

Green Bay in an exciting win over the Saints. Green Bay and Rodgers were on fire early on. Not a big fan of the kickoff spot being pushed up and the touchback. YAWN until Cobb ran it back for 108 yards. His barrel roll was a what the hell did he just do moment. Both offenses moved the ball easily except for the Saints when it mattered on short yardage. Welcome back NFL.

I have always had this interest in American Football but due to the lack of decent coverage here, I've never been able to watch it properly. The last few months I decided to finally start watching and downloaded and watched my first ever full game albeit a NCAA one - SMU vs Texas A&M. Really enjoyed it and am trying to watch it regularly now. But it's pretty hard because I don't get any live matches here so I'll probably end up downloading a couple of matches every week and seeing how it goes.

Btw -- I'm thinking about downloading a recent Super Bowl game to watch. Could you guys recommend any particular exciting ones? Preferably in the last 5-7 years. Cheers!

Btw -- I'm thinking about downloading a recent Super Bowl game to watch. Could you guys recommend any particular exciting ones? Preferably in the last 5-7 years. Cheers!

Not every Super Bowl is super. The Steelers vs Cardinals from a years back was pretty good.

My second team, the Falcons, stunk up the joint Sunday. That was sad.

My first team, the Chargers, came out with the win. For awhile I thought it was going to be typical Chargers starting out the season with a loss. If they could start out the season the way they end it.... they might make the playoffs consistently and have home field advantage.

Jets came close last two seasons.

Lets see if they can go for the kill this season!

Not every Super Bowl is super. The Steelers vs Cardinals from a years back was pretty good.

Yeh, I know. That's why I asked :D Thanks!

Also, can someone help me out with these few questions:

- I know every year there's a draft and kinda know how it works. How many new players does each NFL team get via the draft each season? Approx how many years do am footballers last? E.g. football players start to decline once they reach 31/32. Is it the same for am footballers? Do (the best) players generally tend to stay at the same team throughout their career or do they move around?

- Why do teams decide to punt? I've watched a few games but can't figure out what that's about. Also, when a pass by a QB is incomplete, does he start over at the same place? If the next pass is incomplete as well, does possession switch? or does possession only switch if the ball is picked off by an opposing team player?

and what is the little timer that runs before the QB takes the snap?