Deadline Day!

J.F.

Even Southampton are buying better defenders ...

A bit more on Southampton confirming the signing of defender Virgil van Dijk from Celtic: the 24-year-old had been linked with a move to the south coast club throughout the summer as manager Ronald Koeman stepped up his search for defensive reinforcements.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought to work from home rather going to office for the deadline day .. so yes ... I know i m :clown:

Well at least you've got the choice to work from home...

( not that i don't, i didn't find a job yet actually, just finished studies :ph34r: )

In the end of last season i wanted 3 new players: RW (starter), CB (starter/squad player), CM (starter/squad).

RW - Pedro happend very late, probably after the board panicked from the awful start, but im happy about the signing, think he's going to be very important for us. The negative part is the age, and the excuse is the limited market for top wingers. 8/10

CB - Dont know those two random CBs, the chance of them succsiding is better than nothing but its a pure guess by the club. The board acted strangly here, we chased Stones for a long time like he's the only CB we want (and if not him then no one), then it looks like the start of the season made them realise we HAVE to get a fast CB, so they throw all those late naive bids for 3-6 players reportedlely. Strange things can happen, and one of our new CBs can be the new Varane, but thats not good enough. 2/10

CM - Seems like we only pushed for Pogba, while i believe we're one of few clubs who asked about Koke and got turned down by him. Dont know what happend behind the scenes, who decided what, but the bottom line is that you got to have alternatives.

A CM was a must. Ramires and Mikel are not good enough, and Matic-Cesc partnership is far from the real deal. We needed a box-to-box CM who can play next to Matic-Cesc in the big games or every game, we needed depth, we didnt got it. 0/10

(The scores based only on my point of view of 'what we need', i dont know what the club really intended to do this summer)

To conclude we have to hope that our CBs and CMs/CAMs will contribute more than expected. But i have to say that the bigger hope is that Mourinho will start working with this squad, try new things and do some changes. Because our current form has nothing to do with new players coming or not. Its because of very poor handling by Mourinho since January IMO. I was ok with playing ugly from January to May just to win the league, dont mind that too much because i only wanted us to win the title, but i expected Mourinho to lift the squad immediately in the start of a new season, maybe do couple of things differently.

* Of course there are also Begovic (seems like a great 2nd GK to have), Falcao (no big difference from Drogba probably) and Baba (I'll wait on him, wanted Luis to stay but Baba looks like a talent so lets see),

He's not our scout anymore is he mate it's Mick McGiven who needs a kick in his arse.

So we haven't got scouts in different countries? I don't actually know how scouting works in other countries because i just assumed we had various scouts and Emenalo (or whomever) has the final say.

So we haven't got scouts in different countries? I don't actually know how scouting works in other countries because i just assumed we had various scouts and Emenalo (or whomever) has the final say.

I think we might have but he's the main man at the top.

I think Michael Emenalo needs to be sacked tbh. He is losing the club quite a lot of money with these ridiculous signings that are then failing here, only to be sent out on loan. I wonder how many rash, ill thought out signings one has to make to be at risk of the sack. We all get on Jose's back as soon as a signing fails, but Emenalo needs evaluating by the board as he's going about his job in a haphazard way.

If anything, it's Marina. Signings have gone downhill since she's been given a major role. Emenalo has made some very good signings for the club.