Juan Mata

Severinb

But that's the thing. United aren't our rivals this season. And we've already played them twice. They won't challenge for title, but they can take points off city Arsenal and liverpool.

It's a bit short sighted isn't it CHOULO, there's always a next season.

Let them spend their money somewhere else then. I don't really care how much his price will drop after the WC we simply don't sell our star player (also one of the fans favourites) to Manchester fucking United.

It's not about money it's about pride and dignity, they didn't sell us Rooney last summer then why the hell we sell Mata to them?

It would be painful, extremely agonizingly painful to watch Mata in United kit to play against us.

But it is about money. 40m is A LOT and it would allow us to go into the market for a top player (probably a striker) or a 2-3 good players. Juan might have been the star last season but he is 5th choice AM this season and likely to be 6th next as long as Jose is around. To get the third highest transfer record in the history of the EPL for him is incredible business however you spin it.

It's a bit short sighted isn't it CHOULO, there's always a next season.

A LOT can and will change before next season. United will spend and rebuild if they intend to whether we sell them Mata or not. If it isn't Mata it'll be Reus or Draxler or Robben or Di Maria..etc.

But it is about money. 40m is A LOT and it would allow us to go into the market for a top player (probably a striker) or a 2-3 good players. Juan might have been the star last season but he is 5th choice AM this season and likely to be 6th next as long as Jose is around. To get the third highest transfer record in the history of the EPL for him is incredible business however you spin it.

I couldn't agree more 40m for Mata who is a bench warmer at the moment is a great piece of business, no one is arguing with that, but just not from our EPL rivals, especially ManU!

Again, we are not short of money and I would rather take 20m from a foreign club than 40m from disgusting ManU.

A LOT can and will change before next season. United will spend and rebuild if they intend to whether we sell them Mata or not. If it isn't Mata it'll be Reus or Draxler or Robben or Di Maria..etc.

reus is a BVB player, draxler is a schalke player, robben is a bayern player and di maria is an RM player.

we cant do anything about those guys. what we can and should do is not willingly and stupidly help the most successful team in the premier league history (one which has won 20 PL titles and about 12/13 in the last 20 years). like i said, that is plain stupid.

I couldn't agree more 40m for Mata who is a bench warmer at the moment is a great piece of business, no one is arguing with that, but just not from our EPL rivals, especially ManU!

Again, we are not short of money and I would rather take 20m from a foreign club than 40m from disgusting ManU.

We need the 40m if we want to spend 40m in the market in the summer. We need to significantly reduce our dept than what it was this season to comply with FFP. That is a fact. I'd probably sell to PSG if they were offering 40m now too. But they aren't, so we have to consider the huge offer from united because it would be business stupidity not to.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever the club decides on this because I can see the reasoning for both accepting and rejecting the bid.

There won't be too many AM is better than Mata and available for United to buy, even there has, at least I don't need to live with the scenario of Mata wearing United's kit banging goals and delivering assists week in week out.

Looks like we just have to agree to disagree then mate.

We need the 40m if we want to spend 40m in the market in the summer. We need to significantly reduce our dept than what it was this season to comply with FFP. That is a fact. I'd probably sell to PSG if they were offering 40m now too. But they aren't, so we have to consider the huge offer from united because it would be business stupidity not to.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever the club decides on this because I can see the reasoning for both accepting and rejecting the bid.

That's the point people are missing....'Business' football is exactly that now. 40M is astronomical amounts and in January too. Of course not many want Mata to go but unfortunately PSG as far as we know aren't knocking and neither are Monaco.

reus is a BVB player, draxler is a schalke player, robben is a bayern player and di maria is an RM player.

we cant do anything about those guys. what we can and should do is not willingly and stupidly help the most successful team in the premier league history (one which has won 20 PL titles and about 12/13 in the last 20 years). like i said, that is plain stupid.

Exactly. We can't do anything to stop them from strengthening because it is out of our hands. But since they are inevitable going to strengthen, why don't we take the 40m without significantly weakening our team?

With 40m for Mata, they will be strengthening us with the signings we will like make with that money, much more than we will be strengthening them.

Manchester United provisionally agree £40m Mata deal with Chelsea

Manchester United and Chelsea have come to a provisional agreement over the sale of Juan Mata, according to The Guardian. The 25-year old attacking midfielder is yet to be subject of a formal bid by the Premier League champions, but the two clubs are at an ‘advanced stage’ in the transfer.

Although an official offer hasn’t been made yet, sources close to both camps believe the deal could be agreed before the end of the week, after Mata himself told Jose Mourinho he would like to move away from Stamford Bridge. Although £40m seems like a lot to pay, it could have a similar effect to Mesut Ozil joining Arsenal. It’d give the whole camp a lift and we’d hopefully push on and earn a spot in that top four.

What a coup Juan Mata would be if we could pull it off. It’d also go a long way to easing Manchester United fans’ concerns about the lack of players coming in through the Old Trafford doors.

Hopefully we’ll hear Moyes’ thoughts on the situation when he gets in front of a camera before the Sunderland game tonight.

That might be true but we could actually be helping them to do so by selling Mata. It would improve their chances to finish 4th and if they do, they'll have that CL to attract big players to come. However if we don't sell Mata to them, then their chances to finish 4th is as low as it is right and hardly any big players would want to join a club outside the CL, even if it's United. And besides, the fact that playing for Moyes is hardly an attraction will make things worse should that scenario happen.

There won't be too many AM is better than Mata and available for United to buy, even there has, at least I don't need to live with the scenario of Mata wearing United's kit banging goals and delivering assists week in week out.

Looks like we just have to agree to disagree then mate.

I actually see your point, and I don't disagree with it. But your reasons are sentimental. Our board doesn't think like that. And probably that is the best way to run a football club nowadays.

That might be true but we could actually be helping them to do so by selling Mata. It would improve their chances to finish 4th and if they do, they'll have that CL to attract big players to come. However if we don't sell Mata to them, then their chances to finish 4th is as low as it is right and hardly any big players would want to join a club outside the CL, even if it's United. And besides, the fact that playing for Moyes is hardly an attraction will make things worse should that scenario happen.

If it's not them, it's Tottenham, or Liverpool. Someone will get the CL spot and be a rival for us next season.

Honestly, I would rather that be united because if Liverpool or Tottenham get CL and manage to attract top players, they scare me much more than united would because Spurs have an excellent squad with great potential and Liverpool have a great working system while United have neither.

I actually see your point, and I don't disagree with it. But your reasons are sentimental. Our board doesn't think like that. And probably that is the best way to run a football club nowadays.

I understand, business is business after all and I trust Mourinho's decision whatever the outcome will be. Just as a fan, i have a really hard time to accept Mata is a United player. Personally in this matter, no Rooney no talk.

Well, maybe all of these are just media bullcrap and we're wasting our efforts to discuss lol.

If it's not them, it's Tottenham, or Liverpool. Someone will get the CL spot and be a rival for us next season.

Honestly, I would rather that be united because if Liverpool or Tottenham get CL and manage to attract top players, they scare me much more than united would because Spurs have an excellent squad with great potential and Liverpool have a great working system while United have neither.

Yes but United have ambition as well, they want to rebuild their squad and get back to where they are. Why should we help them to become a successful force again? Selling them Mata will essentially be a stepping stone in them doing so.

We shouldn't be selling him within England at all. There are plenty of other European clubs who would be interested. Maybe they'd pay less... even if it's 10million less, what the heck is 10m for a club like us.

The potential backlash that could happen to us if Utd (or whoever we sell to in England) get stronger is much worse as we are directly competing with them.

This is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm not against selling Juan. He doesn't fit into Jose's plans and ideas and he deserves to be a starter. But I don't care if he wants to stay in England. For the good of Chelsea, he should not be sold to a direct rival. It's as simple as that in my eyes.