Juan Mata

Severinb

But when we do that, another problem appears. He's not as effective out wide as he is in the No.10 role and when that happens, our threat from his side probably drops 25-50%.

question is, does that 25-50% is something we miss? Not really. We've scored 10 goals in 4 matches in 2014 and we've conceded 1 goal. I wouldn't change a thing about the team because at the end of the day the result is there and I feel we're progressing. Why risk improving our attack by also risking missing our pressing?

It isn't only the defensive contribution he misses, he simply doesn't fit the system. Either he adapts to it or he'll warm the bench for as long as he stays here. Oscar has less to do with that Mata being benched, rather than Mata's inability to fit.

I said it last week, I'll repeat again, I guess people are confusing two different things.

1) we had an ineffective system in the past two years that didn't require from him to help the midfield or to press, he had a lot of freedom and with Rafa nearly total and it cost us dearly as we didn't have any balance at all. A better pivot LAST SEASON would have made up for some of the liability Mata offers, and we would have possibly done better, as we would have had his offensive contribution and a better protection to our defense.

2) We currently have an effective system where Mata doesn't fit for a number of reasons: isn't fast enough, isn't direct enough, doesn't press enough, doesn't defend well enough, offers plenty of space on his back. To top all that he's in bad form. So a better pivot NOW does NOTHING for Mata or very little because the system focus on something else (something he lacks). It's the high press and the more urgent game, the receiving the ball in the run and making things happen OFF the ball that is required by the system. A better pivot does nothing to help him fit in the system, but it strengthens our system nonetheless.

At the end of the day there are only two ways for Mata right now: adapt to the system or lose space in the team (he could also leave, but it doesn't depend entirely on him). It makes no sense for Mourinho to risk changing the system just because we have a better pivot that would make up for Mata's limitations for a few reasons, the main of them because it's the critical part of the season, changing a system now is suicidal. We haven't even completely sharpened the one we do have in place, changing it now makes no sense. Also, I'm not sure Mata is world class enough to have a system built around him... He can contribute a lot, and even with a better pivot protecting the defense and reducing spaces, this is the Premier League. This is literally another league and I think a better pivot makes up partially for the exposition he offers in a system where he has a lot of freedom, but I'm not sure such system is more effective than the one we have in place especially because this is English footie.

He will never have freedom here, and doesn't matter if he's a winger or a CAM. I'm not even sure with less freedom he'd do much better as a CAM, after all he did spend plenty of time in the middle (statistically more than in the wing, or about the same) and I've seen little coming from him anyway... The positioning worsens something that is already working against him. He simply doesn't fit and I don't think he's worth the risk of having a slower system that relies less on pressing just so we can capitalize his qualities.

anyone who has watched manure this year and doesnt think Mata would massively improve them IS FUCKING KRAZY

If jose is worried that he would "improve manure significantly" to the level where they would become a threat which implies that he sees him as a top quality player then perhaps he should start playing him more often or sell him abroad.

Why not let him rot on the bench then since he doesn't fit jose's style. if the rumour is true then no club in the world would be stupid enough to invest £37m on a player they don't intend to use as a no 1 option/regular starter. I'm not interested in debating where and how he would fit into a system yada yada same ole argument that has been recycled a billion times. Anyone club willing to spend that amount of money on a player obviously values the player highly to commit to such investment and will find a way to fit him into the starting eleven. It's simple really.

THEN sell him to a European team ....they dont play in the PL ....its not rocket science ,,,MANURE say they WILL NEVER sell to us ,,, so do you still say sell to them ,,

oh and throw in Lukaku as you dont rate him either

THEN sell him to a European team

Does any European team actually want him? The two big teams in Spain don't (sorry Atletico), I don't know if the Italian teams could afford him and does Pep need him at Bayern?

That leaves PSG and the team one point above Newcastle and 12 points below us.

Imagine the boost Mata will give to them too. Mata feeding RVP and Rooney would be incredible.

And where would Mata play?

On the wings?

You mean the same situation Coutinho is in where he has gone awol since the return of both Suarez and Daniel.

oh yeah lets sell another player and strenghten our rivals. like we did with sturridge. great idea. if our board really sells him to them, while they fucked us over rooney, i have lost any faith in the board and Mourinho. you have to be deluded to strengthen a rival that way. he could shine in their 4-4-2 system as a second striker.