Juan Mata

Severinb

Great read. How ironic it was brought up now :rolleyes:

Del Bosque's baffling decision to leave out Juan Mata.

http://soccernet.esp.../id/162?cc=5901

Del Bosque has too many choices in mata position, I think personally it's between mata and silva and del'bosque just prefer silva

There is a reason why Señor Mata is AKA El Maestro

mata_shines.jpg

just curious if people are still mad at me for comparing Mata to Zola? Dude is very Zola-esque

zola-esque, I will give you that. But it's not fair to compare him to Zola because he was more gifted offensively.

Great read. How ironic it was brought up now :rolleyes:

Del Bosque's baffling decision to leave out Juan Mata.

http://soccernet.esp.../id/162?cc=5901

That's a pretty poor article IMO, which is somewhat disappointing considering it was written by Graham Hunter. The title of the article is talking about Del Bosque's strange decision to not pick Mata but yet in the article itself, Hunter only talked about Mata a little bit. Otherwise, he just went on and talk about Spain NT squad and upcoming matches in general. Hardly told us anything new about Mata wasn't picked. The focus should have been more on him in the article.

Mata's style of play is too direct for Spain's tiki-taka, false-nine bullshit imo. However, if he starts Torres then it would have made sense to start Mata too.

Its also why i'm not worried about losing him to Barcelona or Real Madrid. Mata is not a star name in Spain and as a result he wouldn't be first choice at Real and as said above his style is unsuited to Barca.

Mata is a real high quality player and wasa massive signing last year - he's fully aware how much Chelsea fans love and appreciate him. Can see him playing here into his thirties.

Off the top of my head -

• Gave Yaya Toure a torrid time at home to Man City last season
  • Was superb at home to Arsenal last season with goal and assist (despite the result)
  • Scored a stunner and made another at home to United last season
  • Tormented a strong Newcastle team away last season
  • Was excellent in both the FA Cup semi final and final
  • Goal and assist away at Arsenal this season

He was quiet in the Champions League run, although that had more to do with the way we setup, yet still put a special delivery in for Drogba in the final. I believe he performs in big games, he's just THAT dominant against the lesser teams!

Mehh Mata wasn't great in big games imo. He was good in a few but never shone (as in the overall performance) imo and that's what I was referring to. Think Drogba vs Valencia or Iniesta vs Real in the Super Copa (first leg).

Mehh Mata wasn't great in big games imo. He was good in a few but never shone (as in the overall performance) imo and that's what I was referring to. Think Drogba vs Valencia or Iniesta vs Real in the Super Copa (first leg).

When we beat Valencia 3-0 last season Mata was jointly with Drogba our best player on the night. Made 2 assists, with the last 1 a brilliant through ball for the Drog. He was man of the match for sure IMO with Drogba, absolutely bossed that game

When we beat Valencia 3-0 last season Mata was jointly with Drogba our best player on the night. Made 2 assists, with the last 1 a brilliant through ball for the Drog. He was man of the match for sure IMO with Drogba, absolutely bossed that game

I have to say, I don't remember him being great that match but I'll take your word for it. He'll need to perform like that more often then. There's a reason why it's mostly Chelsea fans who rate Mata very highly.

What has to be considered last season is:

1. First season in English football.
  2. Playing in a very under-performing side.
  3. It was clear to anyone that restricting Mata made a huge hole in our general play. The big teams looked to neutralize him, yet he still contributed goals and assists in the big games, and teams concentrating on him opened up space for others last season.

Taking all of the above into account, I firmly expect him to perform to an even higher standard this season. Having a trio of Oscar, Hazard and Mata (not to mention the likes of Marin, Moses and Sturridge also) gives us so many dangerous options it is impossible for a team to concentrate or try to man mark anybody because the others will make the most of the space left behind. It is also going to be hugely rare that none of the above can create a performance of game winning quality. No longer carrying the burden, Mata will flourish this season.

What has to be considered last season is:

1. First season in English football.
  2. Playing in a very under-performing side.
  3. It was clear to anyone that restricting Mata made a huge hole in our general play. The big teams looked to neutralize him, yet he still contributed goals and assists in the big games, and teams concentrating on him opened up space for others last season.

Taking all of the above into account, I firmly expect him to perform to an even higher standard this season. Having a trio of Oscar, Hazard and Mata (not to mention the likes of Marin, Moses and Sturridge also) gives us so many dangerous options it is impossible for a team to concentrate or try to man mark anybody because the others will make the most of the space left behind. It is also going to be hugely rare that none of the above can create a performance of game winning quality. No longer carrying the burden, Mata will flourish this season.

You're absolutely right. Which is why I said it's the next step for him as a player. He's already exceeded my expectations of him when he signed.Never expected him to be such a key player.

I have to say, I don't remember him being great that match but I'll take your word for it. He'll need to perform like that more often then. There's a reason why it's mostly Chelsea fans who rate Mata very highly.

You sound like another supporter like that. I think many other fans of other teams realize how good of a player Mata is. That is poor statement to make if you only think it is Chelsea fans. Every club supporter knows Mata is talented and him missing out on the Spain squad is nothing to be ashamed of because his form recently has been nothing short of brilliant

You sound like another supporter like that. I think many other fans of other teams realize how good of a player Mata is. That is poor statement to make if you only think it is Chelsea fans. Every club supporter knows Mata is talented and him missing out on the Spain squad is nothing to be ashamed of because his form recently has been nothing short of brilliant

In a way to be honest I agree with DYC. I've always felt within England that Mata is seen as a 'poor man's Silva'. The huge media lovefest for Cazorla has also put Mata in the shade somewhat.

However, Mata's statistics compare very well with Silva during his time in the Premiership and although Cazorla has started well, he still has to show those levels of consistency throughout the entire season and is a couple of years older than Mata.

I also feel that with the summer signings Chelsea made (particularly Hazard and Oscar) that Mata has slipped under the radar somewhat within the English media.

I'm not complaining. As Chelsea fans, we all know how good Mata was last season, how well he's started this season, and potentially how good he can become over his Chelsea career. He is still the key attacking player in our side IMO. If others can't appreciate this fully then who cares if Mata is helping us to our share of trophies.