Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

This said: why are there so few top tier strikers playing in the premier league? Aguero might be the only one that could be considered one of the very best on a global level.

Italy has Tevez, Higuain and now Bacca

France has Zlatan, Cavani

Germany has... Lewandowski I guess

Spain has well, every one else actually. It's not even close.

Actually, damn, there are not many world class strikers these days.

Is it just me or were there much more at the end of the 90s early 2000s?: Ronaldo, Del Piero, Batistuta, Inzaghi, Henry, Trezeguet, Anelka, Bergkamp, Kluivert, Makaay, Hasselbaink, Zola, Van Nistelrooy, Owen, Yorke, Shevchenko, Suker, Bierhoff, Klose, Totti, Raul, Shearer, Crespo, Jardel, Rivaldo,...

There's many more... All these guys played in approximately the same period. Makes this generation (let's forget about Messi and Ronaldo for a while) look like bums in comparison. Even a guy like Solskjaer - who was never much more than a super sub for Utd, would probably walk into any premier league team except for City this season.

Tevez is in Argentina.

Poor touches per game

1,5 for Lukaku ... touches MD1(47), MD2(45)

3,5 for Costa ... touches MD1(44), MD2(44)

Last season Lukaku still managed to bag 20 goals (including those that made him EL top scorer), despite the whole team playing woefully and providing almost no service. On the bright side he had very few poor touches per game and now looks eager to put his worst season behind him.

Mirallas probably won't start (eventhough he returned from injury) and it's a shame that Yarmolenko hasn't joined Everton (yet) ... would be great if they can take points from Man City but guessing it won't be another Lukaku day.

Screen_Shot_2015-08-15_at_3.39.30_PM.0.0

what hogwash,,, he has an "elephant's touch " apparently. or that he cant play with his back to the goal.

i mean some of the most lol-max opinions.

Lukaku's technical abilities (i.e. his first touch and link up play) has always been the weakest part of his game, it's not lol-max opinions at all. Funny that you only try to bring this up when he's in form and doing alright.

Lukaku's technical abilities (i.e. his first touch and link up play) has always been the weakest part of his game, it's not lol-max opinions at all. Funny that you only try to bring this up when he's in form and doing alright.

his technical abilities were always pretty good. infact they seem to be better than our main man's.

his technical abilities were always pretty good. infact they seem to be better than our main man's.

I never once saw you say this when he was here before or even last season when people were saying the exact same thing. You're just saying this off the back of one of his best games (by far) in an Everton shirt. Never have I seen you defend his technical abilities.

Lukaku does not link up or hold up play as well as Costa does, not even debatable IMO.

I never once saw you say this when he was here before or even last season when people were saying the exact same thing. You're just saying this off the back of one of his best games (by far) in an Everton shirt. Never have I seen you defend his technical abilities.

Lukaku does not link up or hold up play as well as Costa does, not even debatable IMO.

i did not cos thats the trend of the forum.

people like someone - he is the best ever. nothing can be wrong.

people dont like him - they find the smallest fault of it and keep piling on and over exageratiing it.

i dont reply to the KDB thread too where people say things like he is a coward or has no ambition and all that bullshit. time will take over of it. but it does not mean i agree with it.

similarly, lukaku's back to the goal play is not his strong point, but the way people talked about it, u would think he is some idiot stealing a living. also, as far as his link up goes, its probably better than costa's.

i did not cos thats the trend of the forum.

people like someone - he is the best ever. nothing can be wrong.

people dont like him - they find the smallest fault of it and keep piling on and over exageratiing it.

i dont reply to the KDB thread too where people say things like he is a coward or has no ambition and all that bullshit. time will take over of it. but it does not mean i agree with it.

similarly, lukaku's back to the goal play is not his strong point, but the way people talked about it, u would think he is some idiot stealing a living. also, as far as his link up goes, its probably better than costa's.

It wasn't just the trend in this forum though, it was general consensus even amongst Everton fans.

From back in the thread:

"Losing patience.... a top striker should have looked at their back 4 today and been licking his lips at the prospect. As our record signing he is bound to get over analysed, but I think we are entitled to ask for a lot more than what we are getting at the moment."

"He is what he is. Someone who struggles to control the ball, lazy at times and barely looks like a footballer. Then in a month or two he'll score 6 in 7 and we'll be saying how amazing he is. I suspect he'll be this way all his career, he might be young but I dont think you iron out those flaws, you can either control a ball or you cant."

"I dont know whether to bring out some "I told you so" quotes or cry at the fact we have spent 28M (near enough our whole budget) on a striker who cant trap or control the ball, and has average at best technique? Help please.

Some will still try and make excuses though as they just don't want to face the facts sadly."

"Lukaku...

Terrible first touch, offside or miles away from the play today and in many other games recently too. I mean, why isn't he in the box all the time, he's our centre forward for gods sake. Wide left or wide right isn't the place he should be playing, he's technically not good enough in those areas."

"You cant coach a player on how to control a ball.. This are abilities you are born with so u either got it or you dont.. He hasnt got it sadly and saying his only 21 is just refusing to face facts that we have spunked our 28m up the wall.. He can still be a decent player for us but he wont be the world beater many on here keep going on about. Wonder if Martinez still thinks he was a bargain, who is he kidding costa is a bargain."

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/lukaku.67134/page-568

It really isn't just on here that people have this opinion that Lukaku is technically limited and that he struggles to control a ball and link up well. One game doesn't change that.

It wasn't just the trend in this forum though, it was general consensus even amongst Everton fans.

From back in the thread:

It really isn't just on here that people have this opinion that Lukaku is technically limited and that he struggles to control a ball and link up well. One game doesn't change that.

i have watched many everton days, and i can easily say that his "technical ability" is not half as poor as those comments on there.

infact, we can even see the stats to say that his "so called elephant's first touch" is better than our no.1 striker's.

i have watched many everton days, and i can easily say that his "technical ability" is not half as poor as those comments on there.

infact, we can even see the stats to say that his "so called elephant's first touch" is better than our no.1 striker's.

Those same stats have the likes of Alexis Sanchez and Sterling (IIRC) losing the ball just as much as Costa does, doesn't mean Lukaku is better than either technically does it.

Those same stats have the likes of Alexis Sanchez and Sterling (IIRC) losing the ball just as much as Costa does, doesn't mean Lukaku is better than either technically does it.

sterling and sanchez are the main men for arsenal and pool (last season). they had the license to take on players on the wings so as to open defences. costa and lukaku comparision is pretty much the case of comparing 2 strikers who can score goals but have some problems with their back to the goal despite their enormous size.,

sterling and sanchez are the main men for arsenal and pool (last season). they had the license to take on players on the wings so as to open defences. costa and lukaku comparision is pretty much the case of comparing 2 strikers who can score goals but have some problems with their back to the goal despite their enormous size.,

Why stop at that then? Why are we stopping at where players are losing the ball? I don't really do stats personally but if we look at chances created per player, I'm very certain that Costa trumps Lukaku in that by quite some distance. Maybe Costa loses the ball more because he tries to be a lot more adventurous than Lukaku? Have you ever thought of that?

Why stop at that then? Why are we stopping at where players are losing the ball? I don't really do stats personally but if we look at chances created per player, I'm very certain that Costa trumps Lukaku in that by quite some distance. Maybe Costa loses the ball more because he tries to be a lot more adventurous than Lukaku? Have you ever thought of that?

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/78498/History/Romelu-Lukaku

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/24248/History/Diego-Costa

kep passes per games dont seem to be that much different do they for 2014-15?

costa has 20 goals and 4 assists, lukaku has 18 goals and 7 assists.

but the dispossessed stats are ridiculously hihg for costa, are not they? as are bad control per games. infact these stats seem pretty explanatory.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/78498/History/Romelu-Lukaku

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/24248/History/Diego-Costa

kep passes per games dont seem to be that much different do they for 2014-15?

costa has 20 goals and 4 assists, lukaku has 18 goals and 7 assists.

but the dispossessed stats are ridiculously hihg for costa, are not they? as are bad control per games. infact these stats seem pretty explanatory.

Hope you're watching the game now. Lukaku has already lost the ball over 5 times and has broken down a lot of Everton's moves going forward.