test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

Romelu Lukaku

Started by BlueLion.,

12,473 posts in this topic

I can already see him getting booed at the Bridge. We'll get stick for that, and rightly so.

Yes he said he loved us, yes he said United is the greatest team, but the blame is greatly ours.

Still, didn't like the idea of him coming here. I think that UEFA super cup penalty left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Now, let's get Belotti in the bag and we´ll be fine.

TheIceMan and Johnnyeye like this

3 hours ago, DDA said:

I understand he has the first touch of a donkey but I really couldn't care less if he is banging in 30 goals a season for us. As much as I dislike Lukaku for who he is... he is proven in the PL and Morata isn't even proven in La Liga where you can score goals for fun. All this being said in vain now of course but to say Morata would have been a better fit than Lukaku doesn't make sense to me. Lukaku is the closest thing to a DDA Drogba or Costa that there is.

I could, if he's offering not much outside of goals he will be a hindrance regardless of how many goals he scores. And the PL proven notion is hardly bulletproof as we know to our cost more than anyone.

Fernando, Johnnyeye and Beigl like this

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I could, if he's offering not much outside of goals he will be a hindrance regardless of how many goals he scores. And the PL proven notion is hardly bulletproof as we know to our cost more than anyone.

But Torres was fucked before we purchased him. His knee was gone and we should have known that before we even thought about going there.

Johnnyeye likes this

12 minutes ago, DDA said:

But Torres was fucked before we purchased him. His knee was gone and we should have known that before we even thought about going there.

Not just Torres. Sutton, Ben Haim, ironically the latter was signed on the back of performance's for a 6th/7th level team. Lukaku may be proven as a good PL scorer but in terms of doing it in a high pressed environment he has it all to prove, he looked terrified playing for us.

Johnnyeye likes this

3 hours ago, mccg said:

Chelsea spending 100 million on Lukaku.... They'll have to spend another 100 on safety glasses to protect their fans from his first touch

Replying to @UnitedStandMUFC

Explains why Chelsea are expanding their stadium. Need a bigger pitch for Lukaku to chase his first touch

Lol United fans before they signed him thinking he was going to Cfc

deluded hypocrites that lot, cant wait for us to give those karnts a good spanking again

mccg and TheIceMan like this

just saw his interview for ESPN, he said he hasnt won any major honours yet and wants to do it with United, rightttt..... so the Champions League and FA Cup double in 2012 are what? :D

Beigl and Fulham Broadway like this

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

Not just Torres. Sutton, Ben Haim, ironically the latter was signed on the back of performance's for a 6th/7th level team. Lukaku may be proven as a good PL scorer but in terms of doing it in a high pressed environment he has it all to prove, he looked terrified playing for us.

Ben Haim 😂 Thanks for reminding me.

How this went down is possibly the best thing that could have happened for us.

I personally did not want lukaku, so I'm happy we didn't get him. But I think it's clear we were very interested (possibly our number one striker target). I think we dodged an expensive bullet, and we'll now get a better overall player in belotti or morata. Big plus to me.

Also if he was the clubs and Conte's top choice, we will not want to get "embarassed" again when trying to buy a player (although this one to me isn't embarrassing). It might push us to be a bit quicker in negotiations. I don't buy in to the whole "our board" is a complete farce. I'm very relaxed about our situation, and think we will end up with some quality players. But if not signing him spurs us on to sign people quicker, I'm all for it.

The worst part is if we are longer interested in negotiating matic to Man U. That would be a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomo, DYC., Fernando and 1 other like this

After that interview I'm not sure how much you can blame the board for this.  Lukaku has said from the beginning that he knew where he was going to sign all along and I don't see any reason not to believe him about that.  I'm not sure what was to be gained by acting like it was Chelsea other then extra attention and drama, or perhaps an attempt to run up the price a bit on United so they would pay what Everton would accept.  It sounds like Pogba has been working on him for awhile.  It seems like it wouldn't have mattered what we had bid or when, he was going to sign there.  

Fernando likes this

11 hours ago, Miguelito said:

The worst part is if we are longer interested in negotiating matic to Man U. That would be a bummer.

good, i dont want us to sell any more players to those karnts and to all our rivals for that matter.

RoyalBlues likes this

16 hours ago, mccg said:

Chelsea spending 100 million on Lukaku.... They'll have to spend another 100 on safety glasses to protect their fans from his first touch

Replying to @UnitedStandMUFC

Explains why Chelsea are expanding their stadium. Need a bigger pitch for Lukaku to chase his first touch

Lol United fans before they signed him thinking he was going to Cfc

Well we all do that. The way Man Utd fans now say Lukaku is better than Morata, Chelsea fans are saying Morata is better than Lukaku. No big deal.

Amblève. likes this

11 hours ago, kc_blue said:

After that interview I'm not sure how much you can blame the board for this.  Lukaku has said from the beginning that he knew where he was going to sign all along and I don't see any reason not to believe him about that.  I'm not sure what was to be gained by acting like it was Chelsea other then extra attention and drama, or perhaps an attempt to run up the price a bit on United so they would pay what Everton would accept.  It sounds like Pogba has been working on him for awhile.  It seems like it wouldn't have mattered what we had bid or when, he was going to sign there.  

Seriously!!! How is the board not to be blamed in this situation. They let go of Lukaku and De Bruyne who clear had potential without any clause in the deal ... How could we be so dumb. Clearly for this they need to be sacked. I m not a big Lukaku fan but we could have easily made something out of these deals which could have only helped us. 

Johnnyeye likes this

The board deserve both plaudits but also deserve criticism IMO. They have made some great buys but they also have made some horrendous decisions. The whole Lukaku says it all, to match a bid from a rival says we were in panic mode, we are now still panicking because we haven't tied down a striker. We are scrambling around like a kid who's dropped his £3 pocket money all over the floor.

We need to sort our shit out and quick.

Johnnyeye likes this

To clarify what I meant.  In an earlier post I stated that it was my recollection that the whole point in buying Lukaku back when he was 18 was to get him young and at an early age when he wouldn't cost a fortune and avoid that kind of situation.  I also said that letting him go without a buyback clause was stupidity of the highest order.  I'm merely saying in light of that interview that you can't blame the board for not resigning him this summer as I honestly don't think he ever had any idea of signing with us, Pogba was in his head and just used us as a smoke screen.  That might not be true and we may never know but it fits what he's said, back at the beginning of the summer and in that interview.  In that case I don't think it would matter what we offered or when, he wasn't interested in joining us. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I wasn't mentioning anything about other actions they've taken, selling De Bruyne, etc.  In my earlier post I also mentioned they need to have a clear philosophy and stick with it, not change it every couple seasons which I believe goes back to this point and where they have obviously failed.