Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

I will admit Im glad we sold him and that he was overpriced.

But some people seem to forget how young this guy is. He is being compared to players such as Costa, which is just stuipid.

I definatley think he will become better, for the simple reason that he has a lot of talent and his young age. The age 21 for a striker is like 4-8 years away from the normal "prime".

Bojan was the best teenager in the world in 2008, now he plays for Stoke.

For all we know, his personal prime could be now.

Bojan was rated higher than Messi as well and the catalans all wanted Bojan to be their Messi, before Messi... lol

Drogba was a very contriversal buy and was bought at the age of what, 24-26 by Chelsea?

Whats your point.

I hate when people "counter" someones thoughts and opinions with a case of a players history. So what?

Im just stating facts:

1) Lukaku DOES have alot of talent.

2) He is very young.

3) He can become alot better, he can also NOT become as good as many thought.

Drogba was a very contriversal buy and was bought at the age of what, 24-26 by Chelsea?

Whats your point.

I hate when people "counter" someones thoughts and opinions with a case of a players history. So what?

Im just stating facts:

2) He is very young.

His technique will never improve and thats exactly what is stopping him from being a better player.

Whats your point.

Im just stating facts:

2) He is very young.

Drogba kinds off strongs the point, by the time Lukaku is 26 there is every chance players we haven't yet heard off at his age would have overtook him.

The thing is these days at the top level you need to be an all round player, even Juan Mata is struggling due to demands of the top level. Lukaku will always score goals where he goes, but you need to be more than just that at the top top level. Mario Gomez got 70 goals in 97 in the two seasons leading up to him being dropped for Mandzukic.

His technique will be an issue, it's easy to say he csn improve, yes he can, but how many players playing at the top level of football now had such issues at 21? If he improves to the level required technically he will deserve all the credit in the world but I just can't see it.

A good PL standard footballer in my opinion will be ceiling.

Mind telling me tomorrows winning lottery numbers while your at it?

You dont need a crystal ball to tell what Lukaku will never be good at. His touch will never be world class. I can bet my life savings on it. He is getting outperformed by Eto'o.....enough said.

"Losing patience.... a top striker should have looked at their back 4 today and been licking his lips at the prospect. As our record signing he is bound to get over analysed, but I think we are entitled to ask for a lot more than what we are getting at the moment."

"He is what he is. Someone who struggles to control the ball, lazy at times and barely looks like a footballer. Then in a month or two he'll score 6 in 7 and we'll be saying how amazing he is. I suspect he'll be this way all his career, he might be young but I dont think you iron out those flaws, you can either control a ball or you cant."

"I dont know whether to bring out some "I told you so" quotes or cry at the fact we have spent 28M (near enough our whole budget) on a striker who cant trap or control the ball, and has average at best technique? Help please.

Some will still try and make excuses though as they just don't want to face the facts sadly."

"Lukaku...

Terrible first touch, offside or miles away from the play today and in many other games recently too. I mean, why isn't he in the box all the time, he's our centre forward for gods sake. Wide left or wide right isn't the place he should be playing, he's technically not good enough in those areas."

"You can’t coach a player on how to control a ball.. This are abilities you are born with so u either got it or you don’t.. He hasn’t got it sadly and saying his only 21 is just refusing to face facts that we have spunked our 28m up the wall.. He can still be a decent player for us but he won’t be the world beater many on here keep going on about. Wonder if Martinez still thinks he was a bargain, who is he kidding costa is a bargain."

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/lukaku.67134/page-568

"Losing patience.... a top striker should have looked at their back 4 today and been licking his lips at the prospect. As our record signing he is bound to get over analysed, but I think we are entitled to ask for a lot more than what we are getting at the moment."

"He is what he is. Someone who struggles to control the ball, lazy at times and barely looks like a footballer. Then in a month or two he'll score 6 in 7 and we'll be saying how amazing he is. I suspect he'll be this way all his career, he might be young but I dont think you iron out those flaws, you can either control a ball or you cant."

"I dont know whether to bring out some "I told you so" quotes or cry at the fact we have spent 28M (near enough our whole budget) on a striker who cant trap or control the ball, and has average at best technique? Help please.

Some will still try and make excuses though as they just don't want to face the facts sadly."

"Lukaku...

Terrible first touch, offside or miles away from the play today and in many other games recently too. I mean, why isn't he in the box all the time, he's our centre forward for gods sake. Wide left or wide right isn't the place he should be playing, he's technically not good enough in those areas."

"You can’t coach a player on how to control a ball.. This are abilities you are born with so u either got it or you don’t.. He hasn’t got it sadly and saying his only 21 is just refusing to face facts that we have spunked our 28m up the wall.. He can still be a decent player for us but he won’t be the world beater many on here keep going on about. Wonder if Martinez still thinks he was a bargain, who is he kidding costa is a bargain."

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/lukaku.67134/page-568

I have a feeling Lukaku will be sold in the next 2-3 seasons if martinez wants to keep his job.

Martinez has made a lot of questionable transfers in the likes of besic, lukaku and mccarthy.

It's so frustrating when he can't even make a simple pass sideways to keep the play going.

He's definitely the type of player that, when he's scoring people look over his faults, but they're so fucking glaring when he isn't playing well.

I don´t know what to say about Lukaku more than that I understand why Mourinho sold him today. I know that he is young and everything but today against BiH he resembled me very much of Torres. He just can´t handle the ball when needed to...

Should try to partner him with another striker. He never had the skillset to be a lone striker for a top top team and he never will with that first touch. Him and Benteke up top should be tried and tried until it starts working, because it will work and when it works, it'll be devastating. Benteke holds the ball up, waits for Eden or KDB while Lukaku just makes runs all over the place into space. Just tell Lukaku to always run away from the ball and Benteke to always go towards the ball and let the genius behind the strikers decide where the ball should go - short (bentekkers) to advance play or long (predator) into space.

I'm no fan of Lukaku, but no denying dude is a beast and if used the right way he'd be a handful for the best of the best CBs. The sole aim should be to get him facing a defender 1 on 1. He will destroy that CB, no matter who it is most of the time.