Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

The difference between Lukaku and Ronaldo is that Ronaldo is a guy who doesn't shy away from challenges. Mourinho respects people who work hard and no-one in world football works harder than Ronaldo, whereas Lukaku (when presented with a challenge) requested a transfer.

That's a severe character deficiency that some people overlook and think Jose will just ignore.

But even if he requested a transfer/loan away from the club he proved what he was capable of and justified why he should be part of our team for this season. I know Mourinho likes people who work hard but Mourinho could have been more stubborn himself and given Lukaku justification as to why he wants him around. Not just loan him out because one requested it and I would say last season was last season we should move on. Mourinho should maybe just see that Lukaku panicked a little as it was WC year but now we have seen what he can do for 2 seasons running, Mourinho should really just leave what was in the past in the past and keep him around. That is what I will appreciate rather than selling a player for non-football reasons.

I don't go along with your Dr-Phil analysis on him. IMO, Rom just showed his hungre and ambition by pushing for a loan and rightfully so.

In order to get better/develop, he needs a maximum of playing chances and it was clear he would get more of those at Everton than at Chelsea. I don't see what's wrong with that, on the contrary? (Comparing with the majority of young 'stars' who feel less need to work/play after having signed a lucrative contract)

And he couldn't have shown his hunger and ambition by fighting for a place here, when his competition was Torres, Ba and Eto'o?

He had the best opportunity he will ever have to nail a starting spot down, but he went somewhere where there was very little competition for a starting spot.

You can deride that as Dr-Phil (sic) analysis if you must.

But even if he requested a transfer/loan away from the club he proved what he was capable of and justified why he should be part of our team for this season. I know Mourinho likes people who work hard but Mourinho could have been more stubborn himself and given Lukaku justification as to why he wants him around. Not just loan him out because one requested it and I would say last season was last season we should move on. Mourinho should maybe just see that Lukaku panicked a little as it was WC year but now we have seen what he can do for 2 seasons running, Mourinho should really just leave what was in the past in the past and keep him around. That is what I will appreciate rather than selling a player for non-football reasons.

He's proven he can score goals in a mid-table team. He's proven nothing about playing at the highest level. He's proven nothing about dealing with competing against 'world class' players for a spot (if that's what we're calling Torres, Ba and Eto'o now).

But I do see your point. We should ignore his attitude and just be suckered in by him scoring some goals.

I'm absolutely bored of discussing him with people who wilfully ignore the most important aspect of a footballer in Jose's mind - character.

And he couldn't have shown his hunger and ambition by fighting for a place here, when his competition was Torres, Ba and Eto'o?

He had the best opportunity he will ever have to nail a starting spot down, but he went somewhere where there was very little competition for a starting spot.

You can deride that as Dr-Phil (sic) analysis if you must.

I'm absolutely bored of discussing him with people who wilfully ignore the most important aspect of a footballer in Jose's mind - character.

Yes he chose to go and play which I only see as a good / normal thing as he wasn't nr 1 or 2 in the pecking order. Maybe -easier said now than before the season- he would have got a lot of playing time at CFc as well but surely, you can't argue that indeed at Everton he would get much more?

So his move only made/makes sense as playing time is what he needs, and a lot of it, if he is to be Chelsea's nr1 at some point... For me the move only shows both Rom, mourinho and CFC all agree on that.

Ps/ obviously I'm not as close with Mourinho as you are so I'm glad to hear Mourinho rates character a lot! I think moving abroad at 18, committing everything for a 100% to his game and career and not falling for the usual young-starlet pitfalls (clubs/birds/booze/etc) shows character and determination to 'get there 1 day'.

I only assume a top coach like Mourinho is experienced enough with young players (and their learning curves both on and off the pitch) and clever enough to make the correct judgement (his development and his growing track record and stats) whether or not he sees Rom in his plans.

Ps/ IMO he won't be part of his CFC plans for sheer football matters, not for any tabloid/twitter talk which I would definitely understand as I think Rom isn't ready enough and needs more games (/experience and development) to be realistically ready for a nr 1/2 role at Chelsea (/ any other elite club)

Only way I'd be truly upset/annoyed that he's sold is if it's to ANY team in England. Even if it's to a side like Everton. Any side that can possibly take points off of us should obviously be out of the question.

I can only imagine the shit he's going to talk about us if/when he's sold. Knowing our luck, he'll go to a foreign club and light it up and in a year or two one of our rivals like City or United will be after him and he'd agree to join them just to take a big dump on us for "not giving him a chance" aka not handing him the keys to a Ferrari when he's been practicing in a Prius for the past couple of seasons.

Yes he chose to go and play which I only see as a good / normal thing as he wasn't nr 1 or 2 in the pecking order. Maybe -easier said now than before the season- he would have got a lot of playing time at CFc as well but surely, you can't argue that indeed at Everton he would get much more?

So because he wasn't first choice, he should give up and go somewhere easier? Lampard could've done that when Roman took over because all the signs were that we were going to invest in world-class players, but he didn't. He worked even harder and became a legend.

Lukaku got chances in three of the four games he was here for. He would've got more. He instead asked for a move.

One of the posters on here seems to be a tape recorder. "He asked for a transfer request" "he ran away from a challenge". Yet when asked a sinple question of why is he still here? Why our manager who supposedly hates lukaku's guts so much that he wants to sell him despite us not having a striker that is half as good as lukaku, has notsold him? All we get is the normall repetitive and even a little senile tape recording again. Just goes on to show how much people really know about what actually happena at the ckub.

don't care if he goes; I never rated him highly unless one were to play him as RW. Steven Naismith looked smarter at CF than Lukaku at times last season --although Naismith doesn't have the size to hold up the ball in front of the CBs. Maybe Big Rom will finally learn how to play as a good CF one day, but I really don't care.

Ship him to Wolfsburg and get Ricardo Rodriguez if possible... or, whatever the plan is; doesn't matter. I'm only worried that Liverpool end up with Ricardo Rodriguez.