Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

he's going out on loan to refine his general play in a possession based side where he'll get 90 minutes every week.

The simple fact is that many people think he could've done that here. He might not have gotten 90 minutes every week, but he's not getting that at Everton and no striker gets that anywhere.

As for them being possession-based, that's only true against weaker sides. They're flat-track bullies in that regard and when they come up against half-decent opposition they tend not to be quite so fervent in their philosophy, which makes me wonder what good this loan will actually do him.

At Chelsea he would've spent everyday training with some of the best players in the world whilst learning from one of the best coaches in the world, whilst getting playing time that would've benefitted him and also us.

But I suppose there's much to be learnt from the former manager of Wigan and Ross Barkley....plus fuck all that cheering for a player who might make the odd mistake.

The simple fact is that many people think he could've done that here. He might not have gotten 90 minutes every week, but he's not getting that at Everton and no striker gets that anywhere.

As for them being possession-based, that's only true against weaker sides. They're flat-track bullies in that regard and when they come up against half-decent opposition they tend not to be quite so fervent in their philosophy, which makes me wonder what good this loan will actually do him.

At Chelsea he would've spent everyday training with some of the best players in the world whilst learning from one of the best coaches in the world, whilst getting playing time that would've benefitted him and also us.

But I suppose there's much to be learnt from the former manager of Wigan and Ross Barkley....plus fuck all that cheering for a player who might make the odd mistake.

You're not getting my point - I'm not saying that if I was CFC manager I would've put him out on loan too. Listen, if I was CFC's manager Lukaku would be my number one striker too, but Mourinho doesn't think of it that way, thus obviously it's better that he went out on loan.

I can understand where Jose comes from, and that's why I'm supporting the loan system for him because it's far better for Lukaku to get as many minutes as he can than him being here sitting on the bench as an impact sub.

Being a first choice striker at a top 6/7 club far outweighs just training with world class players and getting minutes here and there in my opinion.

You're not getting my point - I'm not saying that if I was CFC manager I would've put him out on loan too. Listen, if I was CFC's manager Lukaku would be my number one striker too, but Mourinho doesn't think of it that way, thus obviously it's better that he went out on loan.

I can understand where Jose comes from, and that's why I'm supporting the loan system for him because it's far better for Lukaku to get as many minutes as he can than him being here sitting on the bench as an impact sub.

Being a first choice striker at a top 6/7 club far outweighs just training with world class players and getting minutes here and there in my opinion.

I'm getting your point, but I simply disagree with what would've been better for both our club and Lukaku's development.

'Pathetic' is probably an over exaggeration but his general play in that game was fairly average, and sometimes very poor. Him scoring 2 goals doesn't mask that - as I've said before, Romelu isn't going out on loan to prove he can be a reliable goalscorer, everyone knows that already, as you'd probably know very well he's shown that since a very young age - he's going out on loan to refine his general play in a possession based side where he'll get 90 minutes every week.

Yes, I know that, I've also said repeatedly on this forum that Lukaku's style doesn't fit Chelsea. So I'm with you on this. Only it is to harsh to call someone's performance pathetic if he manages to score 2 goals in a BPL match. That's a quality on it's own, and even if it takes a lot more to be a Chelsea player, you can't just go and call him pathetic.

this is a funny topic..

255 pages, 254 pages saying the same thing where pro and contra's agree

- he has an ability to score: FACT

- he can improve his link up play: FACT

- it's understandable WHY Mou wants somebody on short term with better link up play: FACT.

where is this discussion about? both pro's and contra's say the same thing, and this go on and on and on...
maybe it's better we judge his evolution... I think that in the meantime everyone knows his qualities and defects.

I'm getting your point, but I simply disagree with what would've been better for both our club and Lukaku's development.

Sure, if Jose was going to play Lukaku all or most of the time then I'd agree with you but I don't think that's the case, the way things were looking before Romelu left, hence why long term it's better if the kid just gets as much game time as he can at a very decent club.

your reasoning is not correct imo:

a striker is mainly judged on the number of goals he scores. so 2 in one match will mean that his performance cannot be pathetic. bad field play may drop his performance from excellent to good or even average, but it cannot set it back to pathetic. agree?

a goalkeeper is judged on the number of saves he makes, not on the number of goals he conceided without his doing. so Mignolet stopping 5 goal bound occasions makes his performances excellent. goals conceided that he could have stopped could cause the performance to drop to average, never pathetic. goals conceided without his doing will not drop the performance judgement ...

That's double standards.

Our strikers need to do much more than just score, that's pretty obvious with what we're trying to create here.

'Pathetic' is probably an over exaggeration but his general play in that game was fairly average, and sometimes very poor. Him scoring 2 goals doesn't mask that - as I've said before, Romelu isn't going out on loan to prove he can be a reliable goalscorer, everyone knows that already, as you'd probably know very well he's shown that since a very young age - he's going out on loan to refine his general play in a possession based side where he'll get 90 minutes every week.

I'm positive that he is gonna evolve to a goal- machine in the future with his strength to get around defenders and his movement in the final third. He also holds up the ball well bringing in midfielders into the game pretty much suited for the Mourinho style of play.

But one attribute he needs to develop is his link up play which, sadly, cannot be developed at Everton due to their style of play.

How do you judge a striker ?

Not just be the goals scored. Obviously goals scored are the first thing but the quality of the goals(finishing), positional play, link-up play, passing and assists should all be taken into consideration.

For all i know, a midfielder could play the game of his life and create chances for the striker for him to simply tuck 'em in. That might check the positioning box but that doesn't make him the better player than the midfielder.

A striker needs to check all the boxes for him to have a good game.

Not just be the goals scored. Obviously goals scored are the first thing but the quality of the goals(finishing), positional play, link-up play, passing and assists should all be taken into consideration.

For all i know, a midfielder could play the game of his life and create chances for the striker for him to simply tuck 'em in. That might check the positioning box but that doesn't make him the better player than the midfielder.

A striker needs to check all the boxes for him to have a good game.

Well, the quality of goals scored.... :getin:

Then, I can´t resist & ask...since Chelsea won the CL, was that a quality performance in comparison to the above mentioned... ?