Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

So many people on here who judge solely MOTD highlights and hype rather than actually analyzing the player.

These are the same posters who'll turn on the player when he doesn't live up to expectations.

Lukaku is the best player ever obviously. No weaknesses and has nothing to learn.

no one is saying that crap. the only thing people are saying is that he is a much better option than torres. also lukaku is a chelsea player. what is the point of loaning out a player who can score a hat-trick against man united or score 17 league goals in less than half the minutes required by our current striker. plus we have all already seen what magic mou created with another BIG-HULKING striker the first time around, so we just wanna see an encore.

So many people on here who judge solely MOTD highlights and hype rather than actually analyzing the player.

These are the same posters who'll turn on the player when he doesn't live up to expectations.

Lukaku is the best player ever obviously. No weaknesses and has nothing to learn.

F off back to Goal-legacy plastic Gil

lol ok, do you want to tell me why you think he's a bad dribbler? I can understand if we're discussing a player's overall quality but dribbling is probably the easiest thing to judge with a player so the argument over opinions almost never enters the discussion when talking about dribbling

that's like saying Lukaku isn't fast, that's not a different opinion, that's just wrong

i don't mean to put you down, but i just couldn't understand why one would say he is a bad dribbler, hence why i said you may not have seen much of him because he's impressed with his dribbling time and time again

Dribbling is one of the most subjective aspects of football, it is by far the toughest to judge!

Your comparison with speed is just plain ridiculous. In speed you have a time frame and a distance ran to put in statistics and there is no debate about it, it is all about numbers and there is no discussion. In what world does it compare to a dribbling quality debate?

For starters, categorizing dribbling is hard enough. What is dribbling? Is it only the ability to get past defenders (meaning that a simple outrun is a dribble)? Or is it something else? Does it necessarily require tricks? Every possible definition you can come up with, I can give you 10 counter arguments...

The only scenario in which it becomes easy to judge is when the dribbling skill is unanimously good or bad (Hazard and Mikel, for instance). All other levels of skills in between are debatable and different people see things in different ways, so just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean you have watched him play the other hasn't watched anything!

That alone is sufficient for you to see that there is no "FACT" when it comes to someone's opinion about a player's dribbling ability. So your opinion is not a fact nor is better than mine!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will start by saying this is a debate about his dribbles and not about anything else. This will seem rhetorical, but I have already experienced many quotes tackling things I wasn't even talking about. I bet I would receive rage quotes about his great finishing/header, physical ability, pace, etc.
Also, I do think he is a great talent, just not as amazing as people make him!
Anyways....
I think Lukaku is good at getting past players when he uses his pace and physical attributes. He is awesome in infiltrations and through balls, but I dont think he is very good at tight spaces.
For instance, he is tightly marked in the corner, I don't believe he has the talent and ball control (I don't mean they are bad, they are just not good enough) to get past them without losing possession or having to pass to someone. Now, that isn't a problem for a striker in general (because they are rarely in those situations), but if we are talking about him trying to be in that very top category of world class strikers, it becomes very important. Can you see Lukaku doing what Radamel Flacao did to Real Madrid defenders at Copa del Rey? I honestly can't!
Torres (when he was still good) was a better dribbler than him, so is Aguero, Pato, Falcao, etc. That is what makes (or made) them different, what sets them apart from others!
As I have already said, Lukaku has a better dribbling ability than most strikers. But we ain't comparing him to most strikers, we are comparing him with the best and he isnt as good as them...

Dribbling is one of the most subjective aspects of football, it is by far the toughest to judge!

Your comparison with speed is just plain ridiculous. In speed you have a time frame and a distance ran to put in statistics and there is no debate about it, it is all about numbers and there is no discussion. In what world does it compare to a dribbling quality debate?

For starters, categorizing dribbling is hard enough. What is dribbling? Is it only the ability to get past defenders (meaning that a simple outrun is a dribble)? Or is it something else? Does it necessarily require tricks? Every possible definition you can come up with, I can give you 10 counter arguments...

The only scenario in which it becomes easy to judge is when the dribbling skill is unanimously good or bad (Hazard and Mikel, for instance). All other levels of skills in between are debatable and different people see things in different ways, so just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean you have watched him play the other hasn't watched anything!

That alone is sufficient for you to see that there is no "FACT" when it comes to someone's opinion about a player's dribbling ability. So your opinion is not a fact nor is better than mine!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will start by saying this is a debate about his dribbles and not about anything else. This will seem rhetorical, but I have already experienced many quotes tackling things I wasn't even talking about. I bet I would receive rage quotes about his great finishing/header, physical ability, pace, etc.
Anyways....
I think Lukaku is good at getting past players when he uses his pace and physical attributes. He is awesome in infiltrations and through balls, but I dont think he is very good at tight spaces.
For instance, he is tightly marked in the corner, I don't believe he has the talent and ball control (I don't mean they are bad, they are just not good enough) to get past them without losing possession or having to pass to someone. Now, that isn't a problem for a striker in general (because they are rarely in those situations), but if we are talking about him trying to be in that very top category of world class strikers, it becomes very important. Can you see Lukaku doing what Radamel Flacao did to Real Madrid defenders at Copa del Rey? I honestly can't!
Torres (when he was still good) was a better dribbler than him, so is Aguero, Pato, Falcao, etc. That is what makes (or made) them different, what sets them apart from others!
As I have already said, Lukaku has a better dribbling ability than most strikers. But we ain't comparing him to most strikers, we are comparing him with the best and he isnt as good as them...

Lukaku 0.9/game

Tournament Apps Goals Assists Shots Key Passes Dribbles Fouled Offs Disp Trn Rating Premier League* 20(15) 17 4 2.8 1 0.9 0.3 1.2 1.3 1.4 6.94 Total 20 (15) 17 4 2.8 1 0.9 0.3 1.2 1.3 1.4 6.94

van persie 0.7/game

40 (4) 29 8 3.7 1.8 0.7 1.3 1.2 2 1.3 7.64
Tournament Apps Assists Key Passes Avg. Passes Pass Suc% Crosses LB TB Rating
dzeko 0.3/game
20 (18) 15 3 2.8 1 0.3 0.7 0.5 1.6 1.5 6.9

falcao 1/game

Total 37 (0) 31 1 3.7 1 1 1.9 0.9 2.7 2.9 7.27

lewandowski 1.6/game

40 (3) 34 7 3.4 1.2 1.6 2.1 0.8 2.7 2.7 7.68

Lukaku 0.9/game

Tournament Apps Goals Assists Shots Key Passes Dribbles Fouled Offs Disp Trn Rating Premier League* 20(15) 17 4 2.8 1 0.9 0.3 1.2 1.3 1.4 6.94 Total 20 (15) 17 4 2.8 1 0.9 0.3 1.2 1.3 1.4 6.94

van persie 0.7/game

40 (4) 29 8 3.7 1.8 0.7 1.3 1.2 2 1.3 7.64
Tournament Apps Assists Key Passes Avg. Passes Pass Suc% Crosses LB TB Rating
dzeko 0.3/game
20 (18) 15 3 2.8 1 0.3 0.7 0.5 1.6 1.5 6.9

falcao 1/game

Total 37 (0) 31 1 3.7 1 1 1.9 0.9 2.7 2.9 7.27

lewandowski 1.6/game

40 (3) 34 7 3.4 1.2 1.6 2.1 0.8 2.7 2.7 7.68

Is this supposed to mean anything?

Is this supposed to mean anything?

It means that on a yearly basis a center forward will dribble once ,twice but not much even the technically gifted.

-Hyperbole Warning-

If a center forward could not drible at all , it would still only means a 1 dribble differential with some of the very best striker in the league.

It is not something to lose sleep about and remember I can't dribble but Lukaku makes one drible per game so the differential won't ever be as large.

These were just datas , information , facts in my previous post...this post is subjective. :D

It means that on a yearly basis a center forward will dribble once ,twice but not much even the technically gifted.

-Hyperbole Warning-

If a center forward could not drible at all , it would still only means a 1 dribble differential with some of the very best striker in the league.

It is not something to lose sleep about and remember I can't dribble but Lukaku makes one drible per game so the differential won't ever be as large.

These were just datas , information , facts in my previous post...this post is subjective. :D

That is actually very true, but I never said Lukaku can't dribble at all, I just said he ain't as good as the very best!

Also, I did say on my post that generally a striker doesn't get in too many dribble situations and because of that is not a huge downfall point (such as his first touch, lets say). :D

Anyways....

I classify dribbling as the ability to get past a defender not just by running through them or outrunning them but by doing some kind of action (step over, whatever) that results in your defender getting off balance giving you the slight edge you need to use your first step to blow by them. Simple as that, nothing tricky about it.

I don't care if you can do a Rabona, rainbow flick while standing still that's not dribbling ability in my opinion, at least not in a practical footballing sense.

You say you don't think Lukaku has the close control to keep the ball, I disagree there too, I think he has exceptional close control. He looses possession due to his bad first touch but almost never due to bad dribbles or bad close control.

And, I think he's a better dribbler than every striker you listed there except prime Pato. Worst first touch of the lot though. I'd say he's the best dribbling striker in the PL after Suarez. His close control and dribbling is almost shockingly good for a guy his size.

I classify dribbling as the ability to get past a defender not just by running through them or outrunning them but by doing some kind of action (step over, whatever) that results in your defender getting off balance giving you the slight edge you need to use your first step to blow by them. Simple as that, nothing tricky about it.

I don't care if you can do a Rabona, rainbow flick while standing still that's not dribbling ability in my opinion, at least not in a practical footballing sense.

You say you don't think Lukaku has the close control to keep the ball, I disagree there too, I think he has exceptional close control. He looses possession due to his bad first touch but almost never due to bad dribbles or bad close control.

And, I think he's a better dribbler than every striker you listed there except prime Pato. Worst first touch of the lot though. I'd say he's the best dribbling striker in the PL after Suarez. His close control and dribbling is almost shockingly good for a guy his size.

Than that is your opinion, not a fact!

I dont think he is half as good in those attributes than you make him, that is my opinion, but just because of that, it doesnt make my point of view a fact! ;)

Than that is your opinion, not a fact!

I dont think he is half as good in those attributes than you make him, that is my opinion, but just because of that, it doesnt make my point of view a fact! ;)

I think if he's able to consistently show those qualities then one opinion does become a fact. But fair enough, if not yet then it due time it will become a fact, I don't doubt it.

I think if he's able to consistently show those qualities then one opinion does become a fact. But fair enough, if not yet then it due time it will become a fact, I don't doubt it.

And as much as I hate to be wrong (which doesnt happen very often, lol), I hope you are right!