Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

With 19 years old, he should be much much better than he is.

If we want him to be our senior striker 4 or 5 years from now, he must reach the same level of Drogba/RVP/Aguero/Cavani/Falcao. He just does not have the talent, it is not something he can improve, he wasnt born with it.

People get so angry when I say those things about Lukaku becvause they want us to have made a great deal and that he turns into a new Drogba or Ronaldo (real one). Well, I want it to, but that just aint gonna happen!

Wait. You want a 23-years-old to be as good as Drogba etc. in their primes?! Sry, if I misunderstood but what you are saying is ridiculous. You just can't expect someone that young to be as good as those strikers on top of their game.

With 19 years old, he should be much much better than he is.

If we want him to be our senior striker 4 or 5 years from now, he must reach the same level of Drogba/RVP/Aguero/Cavani/Falcao. He just does not have the talent, it is not something he can improve, he wasnt born with it.

People get so angry when I say those things about Lukaku becvause they want us to have made a great deal and that he turns into a new Drogba or Ronaldo (real one). Well, I want it to, but that just aint gonna happen!

:fainthv9::fainthv9::fainthv9::fainthv9:

Me don't understand this brazilian english :D

Wait. You want a 23-years-old to be as good as Drogba etc. in their primes?! Sry, if I misunderstood but what you are saying is ridiculous. You just can't expect someone that young to be as good as those strikers on top of their game.

No, I am saying that if we want him to lead our team in the future, he needs to be as talent as those guys when they had 19 years old...

I recognise it did sound like what you understood, MY BAD!

Me don't understand this brazilian english :D

You dont understand that talent is something you are born with and that no matter how many experience, learning time and playing time, you cant teach someone to be gifted?

Natural talent is something that can be seen with 1-2 looks at the guy...

What I am saying is that he will improve until one point, he will be as good as a nice second option, but will never achieve such high level a senior striker at a top club has to have.

No, I am saying that if we want him to lead our team in the future, he needs to be as talent as those guys when they had 19 years old...

I recognise it did sound like what you understood, MY BAD!

Well, then let's have a look at the stats of those players.

Drogba (age 19): 2 apps in the second France divison, no single goal

Van Persie (age 19): 29 apps for Feyenoord, 15 goals

Agüero (age 19): 49 apps for Atletico, 27 goals

Cavani (age 19): 7 apps for Palermo, 2 goals

Falcao (age 19): 1 app for River Plate, 2 goals

And now Lukaku's stats...

18 apps for West Brom, 6 goals

Lukaku's playing in the best and most competitive league in the world now and he's putting up good numbers. Aside from Agüero (and Van Persie probably) neither of those strikers mentioned did anything that would have justified calling one of them future world beater. They were talented, but that's it. All of them became superstars at later stages of their careers because they put in hard work and dedication. Talent is just secondary if you have the right attitude, and hell, Lukaku's got both of them! Give the lad some time to develop his feel for himself and you'll see he has game.

Lukaku's playing in the best and most competitive league in the world now and he's putting up good numbers. Aside from Agüero (and Van Persie probably) neither of those strikers mentioned did anything that would have justified calling one of them future world beater. They were talented, but that's it. All of them became superstars at later stages of their careers because they put in hard work and dedication. Talent is just secondary if you have the right attitude, and hell, Lukaku's got both of them! Give the lad some time to develop his feel for himself and you'll see he has game.

It doesnt work that way..

It is about recognising the talent (and dont tell me talent is secondary, this is insane), not comparing stats. Aguero and RVP were already making huge impacts and werent atracting so many doubts, Falcao was already being treated like diamond in River Plate (I can show interviews of that time) and Drogba got into Marseille soon after that.

The class and ability of any player is very easy to see. You see the guy playing for 5min and you already know if he is good or not. There are some things that are impossible to teach (shot, drible, passing vision, first touch, ball control, etc), the footballer must be born with it.

Lukaku is a decent prospect, but he wasnt born with a brilliant raw talent. There is nothing you can do about it...

I disagree with you and must agree with Rmpr.

I think he will never be an elite forward.

To be an elite forward, he must be better in the link-up play, more variation on his runs to not only score on ball-through when he beats an high line defense or a header on a cross to the second post.

It is about recognising the talent (and dont tell me talent is secondary, this is insane), not comparing stats. Aguero and RVP were already making huge impacts and werent atracting so many doubts, Falcao was already being treated like diamond in River Plate (I can show interviews of that time) and Drogba got into Marseille soon after that.

The class and ability of any player is very easy to see. You see the guy playing for 5min and you already know if he is good or not. There are some things that are impossible to teach (shot, drible, passing vision, first touch, ball control, etc), the footballer must be born with it.

Lukaku is a decent prospect, but he wasnt born with a brilliant raw talent. There is nothing you can do about it...

You were the one to mention that he has to be as talented as those guys at the age of 19. Lukaku was already making an impact when he was 17, so why not compare them?!

How come Lukaku as a teenager was a starter in a professional league? And don't tell me "because of his build". There's much more you need to possess to make yourself a name and be targeted by all the European top-sides at such an early point of your career. He may never become a super gifted palyer in terms of technique but has attributes that are equally important and still he's fucking 19 years old! He's growing as a person and player and considering that strikers reach their prime in their late 30s he's got plenty time to develop.

Talent is and has always been secondary. Look at Kakuta. Such a brilliant talent but he has done fuck all so far. Players like Puyol and Terry who will fight for their chances are more likely to become great players than those Kakuta types because they don't rely on what they already have but on what the feel.

with potential.

While you often make sensible posts, I think you're way off on this one. For starters, there's no point comparing him to RVP, Aguero and the likes because he's a different kind of player. IF you really want to compare, there's only 1 decent choice, Drogba.

As pointed out in previous posts Drogba played in the French second division when he was 19, in 2002 he joined a modest Ligue 1 club for £80.000, a season later joined Marseille for £3.3 million where he impressed so much Chelsea got him, again a season later, for £24million.

My point is Drogba didn't show signs of pure class that hinted towards the world class player he'd become. Lukaku was 16 years old when he came into the Anderlecht first squad, and became the topscorer that same first season. That, imho, is a sign of a possibly future world class striker. Even if it's just the Belgian league. Sixteen years old.

His flaws are obvious, but seriously, most players his age are working on those flaws in the U19 teams. This guy is already scoring goals in the toughest competition in the world.

Strikers peak at 28-31. He has 10 (!) years to reach that level. Cut him some slack.

You were the one to mention that he has to be as talented as those guys at the age of 19 and that's the best way to to compare them, by their impacts.

How come Lukaku as a teenager was a starter in a professional league? And don't tell me "because of his build". There's much more you need to possess to make yourself a name and be targeted by all the European top-sides at such an early point of your career. He may never become a super gifted palyer in terms of technique but has attributes that are equally important and still he's fucking 19 years old! He's growing as a person and player and considering that strikers reach their prime in their late 30s he's got plenty time to develop.

Talent is and has always been secondary. Look at Kakuta. Such a brilliant talent but he has done fuck all so far. Players like Puyol and Terry who will fight for their chances are more likely to become great players than those Kakuta types because they don't rely on what they already have but on what they feel (if that's clear to understand lol).

I agree, you kind of made my point too...

I never said he is shit and we should realse him for free, I just think he doesnt have enough ability to lead our team. I have always said he will become a very good second option!

While you often make sensible posts, I think you're way off on this one. For starters, there's no point comparing him to RVP, Aguero and the likes because he's a different kind of player. IF you really want to compare, there's only 1 decent choice, Drogba.

As pointed out in previous posts Drogba played in the French second division when he was 19, in 2002 he joined a modest Ligue 1 club for £80.000, a season later joined Marseille for £3.3 million where he impressed so much Chelsea got him, again a season later, for £24million.

My point is Drogba didn't show signs of pure class that hinted towards the world class player he'd become. Lukaku was 16 years old when he came into the Anderlecht first squad, and became the topscorer that same first season. That, imho, is a sign of a possibly future world class striker. Even if it's just the Belgian league. Sixteen years old.

His flaws are obvious, but seriously, most players his age are working on those flaws in the U19 teams. This guy is already scoring goals in the toughest competition in the world.

Strikers peak at 28-31. He has 10 (!) years to reach that level. Cut him some slack.

Yes, but many of you are mistaking me.

I was comparing Lukaku with the very best and got to my conclusion that he does not have the necessery technique to be Osgood 2.0 or Drogba 2.0. I never said he is scrub or wont score many goals for Chelsea...

I agree, you kind of made my point too...

I never said he is shit and we should realse him for free, I just think he doesnt have enough ability to lead our team. I have always said he will become a very good second option!

Mate, I see your doubts and tbh I do share some of them because Lukaku is not your every-day talent. He's the complete opposite, and yet still a very special prospect because he possess skills you can't teach (or at least you can't teach them easily). He's oozing with potential and it's just a matter of heading him into the right direction but that's something Chelsea's gonna have to care about. Can they provide the right service for him to work on his weaknesses?! I'm not sure if a loan to WBA was the best of ideas but I hope they have a clear plan. It would be a shame if they don't.

Yes, but many of you are mistaking me.

I was comparing Lukaku with the very best and got to my conclusion that he does not have the necessery technique to be Osgood 2.0 or Drogba 2.0. I never said he is scrub or wont score many goals for Chelsea...

I know but how can you say he won't be Drogba 2.0 when Lukaku is a far more advanced player than Drogba was at 19 years old?

Just doesn't make sense to me :)

Mate, I see your doubts and tbh I do share some of them because Lukaku is not your every-day talent. He's the complete opposite, and yet still a very special prospect because he possess skills you can't teach (or at least you can't teach them easily). He's oozing with potential and it's just a matter of heading him into the right direction but that's something Chelsea's gonna have to care about. Can they provide the right service for him to work on his weaknesses?! I'm not sure if a loan to WBA was the best of ideas but I hope they have a clear plan. It would be a shame if they don't.

Yes!

However, I will stick with my opinion of him only being a second option of a top club or the first of a medium one...

In my opinion, he may become a great goalscorer even if he fails to improve his first touch and link-up play. Strikers score most of their goals with one touch finishes inside the box - awareness, power and technique of shooting are needed and he possesses them. And yeah he's 19 years old. Have you ever watched a game of some youth or reserve league? All those lads playing in top football academies have an obvious talent, but they lack all sort of tactical understanding or whatsoever. Lukaku is very mature for his age and that is normal considering he's playing professionally since the age of 16.
I would compare him to Torres from his Atletico days. He was an exciting talent at the age of 20 but anyone could see that his first touch wasn't great at all. Honestly it has never been, but that didn't stopped him from becoming the most feared forward in the Premier League since his arrival from Spain. It's all about finding the right team. If Lukaku joins a team that plays to his strengths he may become a top top striker.