Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Well. That's the first time I see him since last season : his technic hasn't been improved by any means. He will have to work on it, because if he doesn't improve his technic, especially his first touch, he will end up being a pretty expensive Kenwyne Jones.

Well. That's the first time I see him since last season : his technic hasn't been improved by any means. He will have to work on it, because if he doesn't improve his technic, especially his first touch, he will end up being a pretty expensive Kenwyne Jones.

I feel for the guy because we all expect to much from a player like lukaku he's only 19! He needs season long loan somewhere in the EPL to adapt and to regain the form he had when he joined.

He will be fine, he's 19 remember, and his technique can improve. I'm glad its his technique what he's weak on besides finishing or movement.

Because movement isn't something you just learn, it's usually natural ability, but obviously can be improven, but some are born better than others and that's usually how it works. Finishing is also one of the hardest things for a player to learn, which is why I'm very surprised in Ramires's finishing over the last season, he gotten a lot better compared to how it was before.

But i think Lukaku will be fine, working with the team isn't the hardest thing to learn, and his first touch, as long as he can keep the ball with it and pass back to the team first time he will be fine.

But i think Lukaku will be fine, working with the team isn't the hardest thing to learn, and his first touch, as long as he can keep the ball with it and pass back to the team first time he will be fine.

I'm worried. These things player learn at the age of 12-16. After that it's very difficult to change something. Not saying it cannot be done, just needs a lot of hard work.

I'm worried. These things player learn at the age of 12-16. After that it's very difficult to change something. Not saying it cannot be done, just needs a lot of hard work.

No, this is top league football we are talking about, his touch isn't that bad, otherwise he would've been struggling at his old club and in the reserves. It's top league football and he will learn.

No, this is top league football we are talking about, his touch isn't that bad, otherwise he would've been struggling at his old club and in the reserves. It's top league football and he will learn.

I disagree.

Look at all the goal he scored. 90% of them were like the one he scored against Seattle. The opponent out of position after losing the ball, lots of space between the line of defence and goal and he outruns his opponent.

He's awful in linking up with other players, doesn't make runs to open space for others and stretch the defense, and his turn ability is bad.

When he was 16, you could be excited about him but his game hasn't evolved since then.

Him and Kakuta have not the same style of play but they seem to lack a lot of football intelligence as their game is as raw as it was when they started.

I fail to see why people are concerned about him. His only two noticeable flaws are lack of experience and heavy touch. He will eventually learn how to get underneath the ball and when to hold the defender off and when to make a run. And his first touch may be awful now, but players often see a significant improvement in certain aspects of their game through focused training. I remember Sturridge couldn't use his right foot at all a couple seasons ago, but he's now pretty comfortable with it. Rooney also expressed in 2010 that he had improved greatly on his aerial ability through continuous, focused training.

I also disagree that 'all hope is lost' with Lukaku. A loan might be the best option, but he needs 30 games or more at an EPL club to make huge valuable steps. Don't know which club is going to give him that.

And then I think, if the situation might be the same at another EPL club, he can also stay at Chelsea (if they don't buy striker) to compete for second striker position with Sturridge. He is in fact very limited in certain areas, but I also feel that Lukaku would score more goals than Sturridge if given equal time up front. Just a feeling.

He's still exceptional for his age, but the technical aspect of his play is indeed a problem. Another weak point that hasn't really been given attention is that he's no good with the head.

When at anderlecht he had however become too good for the Belgian league, and although you can say, that's no standard, it still says something when you are only 17. At full confidence, he was a scoring machine but also able to keep a ball when outnumbered or take on a player at the edge of the box.

Chelsea now needs to find the right team for him to go on loan and get playing time. He really wants to improve, has a positive attitude, will fit in in every squad and will anyhow maximise his potential. Wait and see.

I also disagree that 'all hope is lost' with Lukaku. A loan might be the best option, but he needs 30 games or more at an EPL club to make huge valuable steps. Don't know which club is going to give him that.

And then I think, if the situation might be the same at another EPL club, he can also stay at Chelsea (if they don't buy striker) to compete for second striker position with Sturridge. He is in fact very limited in certain areas, but I also feel that Lukaku would score more goals than Sturridge if given equal time up front. Just a feeling.

Sorry but Sturridge would outscore Lukaku with ease. If Chelsea don't buy another striker before the deadline, it would not surprise me if Sturridge scored more than Torres. He needs a real run as the club's lone forward.

Sorry but Sturridge would outscore Lukaku with ease. If Chelsea don't buy another striker before the deadline, it would not surprise me if Sturridge scored more than Torres. He needs a real run as the club's lone forward.

I agree... Sturridge as things stand will have a big role this season as torres won't play 60 games this season and Sturridge will have a big part to play as an impact sub, and starting some games when resting torres.... Really hope he doesn't outscore Torres as that would be very bad for the club, as we wouldn't have scored many goals, though we should buy a backup striker as we surely can't just have 2, as that is ludicrous, especially in a potentially long season... Lukaku, has a lot to work on and perhaps hasn't improved as much as we would want him to over the last 2/3 years, though he desperately needs game time, and last year he was not helped at all by never really playing, a full season should be great for him and next year or in a couple of years time we may see his improvement.

From the "Top five young players" thread :

It would be time to put an end to the myth "Lukaku is the next Drogba". No, he is not. This affirmation comes out of ignorance and delusion toward the physical resemblance shared, at some extend, by both players. The only things the belgian and the Frenchman share are : the colour of their skin ; more or less their body building. And that's about that.

Whom is this Frenchmen you speak of? Well, I would rather Lukaku over a Target Man like Gignac. Large, fat, muscular, fat, scores with his left, limited technical techniques, fat, one dimensional; are all perfect superlatives to describe Lukaku Gignac, though the two (Andre-Pierre and Romulu) do share disgustingly similar parallels in my mind. Though what Gignac has to do with this particular conversation I do not know and the only reasonable explanation I can sum up is that the possibility that my fragile perception of reality has snapped is quite real.

Whom is this Frenchmen you speak of? Well, I would rather Lukaku over a Target Man like Gignac. Large, fat, muscular, fat, scores with his left, limited technical techniques, fat, one dimensional; are all perfect superlatives to describe Lukaku Gignac, though the two (Andre-Pierre and Romulu) do share disgustingly similar parallels in my mind. Though what Gignac has to do with this particular conversation I do not know and the only reasonable explanation I can sum up is that the possibility that my fragile perception of reality has snapped is quite real.

The Frecnhman whom I am speaking is Didier and nobody else. I love to use a large range of adjectives. So instead of using perpetually "the african", "the ivorian", etc.. I thought it would make a change.

P.S. I believe you forgot to mention that Gignac was fat.

The Frecnhman whom I am speaking is Didier and nobody else. I love to use a large range of adjectives. So instead of using perpetually "the african", "the ivorian", etc.. I thought it would make a change.

P.S. I believe you forgot to mention that Gignac was fat.

I recomend using the adjective "the almighty, beautiful and most serene". Don't be fooled by the spaces throughout the word, it is precisly one word and may only be used to describe the almighty, beautiful and most serene Didier Drogba.

Gignac is fat. And I have no hope for Lukaku.