Chelsea 2-1 West Brom

BlueLion.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jheez. is anyone watching Swansea - man city game. this is proof that you don't need World class players to play attractive football. Blackpool were the point of reference for last season and it will be Swansea for this season

jheez. is anyone watching Swansea - man city game. this is proof that you don't need World class players to play attractive football. Blackpool were the point of reference for last season and it will be Swansea for this season

Agree, they're playing some really nice football atm.

Agree, they're playing some really nice football atm.

Which begs the question. Why haven't we been playing good football over the years. if relatively small clubs like Swansea, Blackpool and Lorient could achieve this level of footie then there's no justification for our unattractive brand of footie. especially the way we played last season.

Brendan is great manager.

Which begs the question. Why haven't we been playing good football over the years. if relatively small clubs like Swansea, Blackpool and Lorient could achieve this level of footie then there's no justification for our unattractive brand of footie. especially the way we played last season.

Simple justification - Trophies. Like it or not, winning stuff, no matter how ugly, papers over everything else, playing style included. Those teams you mention have won what exactly? I'm not defending dire, boring football, merely putting forth general mentality of fans. Personally, right now I only want AvB to bring the swagger back into our play.

Everybody's utopian idea would be great football + trophies, but that happens rarely in the practical world. Unless you're on another planet to everyone else. In other words, unless you're Barcelona.

Simple justification - Trophies. Like it or not, winning stuff, no matter how ugly, papers over everything else, playing style included. Those teams you mention have won what exactly? I'm not defending dire, boring football, merely putting forth general mentality of fans. Personally, right now I only want AvB to bring the swagger back into our play.

Everybody's utopian idea would be great football + trophies, but that happens rarely in the practical world. Unless you're on another planet to everyone else. In other words, unless you're Barcelona.

That's stale news. I will tell you exactly why all those clubs haven't won any trophy and that's due to lackluster defending. Blackpool were one of the top scorers in premiership last season but that impressive record was nullified by their awful defending at the back, which was the reason they lost and drew many games last season ultimately landing them in relegation hot water. Give them Man City or Chelsea's defensive unit (back 5) and see if they don't win any trophy or go pretty far. Arsenal find themselves in the same predicament as well.

It's common knowledge that the foundation of a winning team is a rock solid defence

That's stale news. I will tell you exactly why all those clubs haven't won any trophy and that's due to lackluster defending. Blackpool were one of the top scorers in premiership last season but that impressive record was nullified by their awful defending at the back, which was the reason they lost and drew many games last season ultimately landing them in relegation hot water. Give them Man City or Chelsea's defensive unit (back 5) and see if they don't win any trophy or go pretty far. Arsenal find themselves in the same predicament as well.

Maybe so, but shouldn't they be living within their means then?

With respect to Chelsea, winning stuff on a regular basis has made us escape criticism about playing style from our own fans atleast. Outsiders have always had a go for the dour football we've dished out, barring 09-10 when we were scoring for fun towards the end of the season.

As to the question about why a team with these players can't/hasn't played such football, it's down to the manager.

Mourinho - content to stick with a one or two goal lead

Scolari - tried to make us a more attacking side initially, but our defence suffered.

Hiddink - liked his clean sheets, never really prolific under him.

Carlo - liked to go all out even when winning (09-10) but incredibly poor stuff last year, not entirely down to matters under his control.

With AvB, it remains to be seen. Precedent says he likes playing attractive football but can he pull it off with the current squad? Don't know.

With AvB, it remains to be seen. Precedent says he likes playing attractive football but can he pull it off with the current squad? Don't know.

He can't. Even Pep will not make this current team play attractive football.

My lord. Aguero already has 2 goals plus one assist on his 40 mins debut. Aguero+David silva is just depressing from a rival fan perspective

Just hope they sell Tevez and don't sign Nasri to boot.

Which means of course they'll sign Nasri and Tevez will become City's super-sub. A real super-sub.

"His style of play was compared to that of the legendary Czech midfielder Pavel Nedvěd."

Has no club at the moment, should be fairly easy to sign.. although I wouldn't be surprised if our board managed to screw this one up also :Goober:

"His style of play was compared to that of the legendary Czech midfielder Pavel Nedvěd."

Has no club at the moment, should be fairly easy to sign.. although I wouldn't be surprised if our board managed to screw this one up also :Goober:

Sorry for OT, but see also:

"Despite interest from English Premier League teams Newcastle and Chelsea, Dutch team PSV Eindhoven, Kalouda signed a five-year contract at CSKA with a transfer fee of 5.18 million Euros."

:eyebrows:

oh fuck me :D we seriously thought of having a team with Kalou, Malouda and Kalouda... wouldn't that have been epic. I can already see the commentators going "what a fantastic combination between Kalou, Malouda and Kalouda misses a sitter! Oh what a waste"