Tomáš Kalas

James

He's about the same age as Jon Flanaghan. And Phil Jones. And Chris Smalling. And John Stones. And Micah Richards and Nastasic.

He's just been unlucky that he couldn't get a chance earlier in the season and that Jose puts such an emphasis on defensive stability that even Luiz and Cole can't get a look in. Honestly I think this season was all about building a stable foundation and once that's done you can start to blood younger players.

All the players you listed are elite prospects (other than Smalling) in their respective positions.

Flanaghan, Jones & Nastasic were all considered to be 'wonderkids' throughout their youth...and Stones has a mature head for someone that is only 19 years old.

Kalas is a decent player....but he is NOT an elite prospect. The best he can hope for at Chelsea is a squad place like Bertrand

All the players you listed are elite prospects (other than Smalling) in their respective positions.

Flanaghan, Jones & Nastasic were all considered to be 'wonderkids' throughout their youth...and Stones has a mature head for someone that is only 19 years old.

Kalas is a decent player....but he is NOT an elite prospect. The best he can hope for at Chelsea is a squad place like Bertrand

who were the "elite prospects " Gael ,, Josh ,, Nat ,,,,,,,,,,,,were they the only 3 ??? I think we have wasted so many young prospects ,,,just as our critics have said

This is pretty vague and a poor way of gauging how good a player is. Kalas has made more appearances than Kalas or Stones by far and not quite sure when Jon Flanagan was referred to as a wonder kid. Kalas was starting for Vitesse at age 19, and was called up to the Czech national team at age 19 too. He's always been rated highly and see no reason why he's any less talented than other young defenders getting meaningful appearances at clubs on the same level as us.

This is pretty vague and a poor way of gauging how good a player is. Kalas has made more appearances than Kalas or Stones by far and not quite sure when Jon Flanagan was referred to as a wonder kid. Kalas was starting for Vitesse at age 19, and was called up to the Czech national team at age 19 too. He's always been rated highly and see no reason why he's any less talented than other young defenders getting meaningful appearances at clubs on the same level as us.

It's not surprising that Kalas got a call up to the Czech Republic national team....most of their defenders aren't that good

As for starting at Vitesse at the age of 19...that's not really a big deal...considering that a number of clubs in Holland have 19-20 years old starting in defence....and also the fact that Vitesse's defence isn't that great.

I'd like to see Kalas prove himself in a more competitive league than Holland

It's not surprising that Kalas got a call up to the Czech Republic national team....most of their defenders aren't that good

As for starting at Vitesse at the age of 19...that's not really a big deal...considering that a number of clubs in Holland have 19-20 years old starting in defence....and also the fact that Vitesse's defence isn't that great.

I'd like to see Kalas prove himself in a more competitive league than Holland

Loan to a Championship side will do him a world of good especially since Zouma is looking like he could fight for a first team place.

Jon Flanagan was considered a 'wonderkid'???????

He's barely been capped at international age-group level so I find it highly unlikely that a single person (besides you) as called him that. :lol:

In fact I'd say that Kalas was probably regarded more highly than Stones, Smalling and Flanagan. In fact Smalling was very much a late developer and never considered a prospect, elite or otherwise. My point was simply to illustrate that young, talented defenders can get minutes at big clubs and I think Kalas has just been unfortunate with his injuries and Jose's reluctance to make any changes to the defence.

Jon Flanagan was considered a 'wonderkid'???????

He's barely been capped at international age-group level so I find it highly unlikely that a single person (besides you) as called him that. :lol:

In fact I'd say that Kalas was probably regarded more highly than Stones, Smalling and Flanagan. In fact Smalling was very much a late developer and never considered a prospect, elite or otherwise. My point was simply to illustrate that young, talented defenders can get minutes at big clubs and I think Kalas has just been unfortunate with his injuries and Jose's reluctance to make any changes to the defence.

To be fair, you're right about that. Unfortunately, I think I pay a bit too much attention to the my LFC mates, who honestly believe that Flanaghan was a wonderkid.

As for your point about Kalas, yes, he has been unfortunate...but I get the feeling that this was his season to make an impression in the cups.....because come next season, Zouma should be with the first team and I'm expecting another defensive signing with the possible departure of David Luiz.

I'm not saying Kalas can't make it...but I think he will have to be content with a Bertrand-like role if he does not go out on loan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...