Tomáš Kalas

James

Then you have to live with the fact you'll never see another John Terry in a Chelsea shirt ever again. Kalas will be with us next season and rightly so. Fingers crossed for the lad.

We can slowly integrate them, there's no need to rush. I don't think Bir has an issue with Kalas being in the squad and fighting for his place, more that it's too early to pin any hopes on him, same with Lukaku in that respect.

Then you have to live with the fact you'll never see another John Terry in a Chelsea shirt ever again. Kalas will be with us next season and rightly so. Fingers crossed for the lad.

Right, because if Terry would have spent one year on loan he wouldn't have been the same Terry.

That's true as well. But, I think Kalas is a great prospect and def has the potential to play for us, I just don't get what the rush is. I fear he'll have a season like Lukaku's first season where he'll train with the squad but barely get any playing time.

Let's see how he does in the US tour and if he can eradicate the mistakes and put in decent performances then we can truly trust him as the 4th choice CB and keep him around because then he'll get enough time, but if he's going to be called the 4th choice CB but actually be behind even Ivanovic then he'll probably never get any games. In that case, we should loan him out.

Surely we should be loaning Ivanovic out after all it was his mistakes that got us knocked out of the League Cup. We're Chelsea...we can't expect mistakes from out defenders. :rolleyes:

Defenders will make mistakes. Young players will make mistakes. John Terry made mistakes. The trick is to stick with them so they can learn from their mistakes and become better in the future. It's called 'supporting' your players.

Give me a break that we should blood in youngsters and live with the mistakes. This is Chelsea, the stakes are a little too high to be gambling 3 points for development of a kid. People want Luiz sold because he made a mistake, people would want the manager and the player out when Kalas makes a mistake. At smaller teams, if young CBs make mistakes resulting in goals, you may finish 10th instead of 8th but get a chance to develop him into a beast next season. That's fine. You do that at Chelsea, you drop from 1st to 2nd, that's the stupidest thing I've heard ever. Yeah, let's run Chelsea like Crewe is ran.

I don't mind rushing a striker or mids, because they have a lot of help and others around them can pick up the slack, but a weak CB that doesn't provide a team with confidence is going to have a detrimental mental affect on the entire team. Last year, we gave up 2-0 leads for that very reason. The confidence within the team was shot, every player was expecting we would concede and that the defence isn't good enough. Playing 20 year olds who make mistakes isn't going to help, neither him nor us.

Imo, CBs should never be rushed. Considering the stakes, you're putting so much pressure on them because they know one mistake will result in a goal. That's a little too much pressure for a 20 year old kid.

Not if the fans are prepared to realise that youngsters need time and are going to make mistakes no matter what. Even our senior players make mistakes (Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Luiz all do it!).

I still think it's ridiculous that we're even saying he should be loaned out again for a couple of mistakes in friendlies which are only about picking up fitness and where concentration isn't even likely to be at 100% as the matches are meaningless. If you'd seen the lad at Vitesse these last 2 seasons and especially in his first season, you'd realise that he is in fact ready to make the step up and challenge for a place in this squad. These youngsters have to be bedded in at some point and now is the perfect opportunity for a CB in our squad, and i'd much rather it be Kalas who has proven himself in the last two seasons, playing over 60 games and been a team that put there trust in him at CB, than Omeruo who you suggested whose barely played over 20 games at CB in a competitive league

We can slowly integrate them, there's no need to rush. I don't think Bir has an issue with Kalas being in the squad and fighting for his place, more that it's too early to pin any hopes on him, same with Lukaku in that respect.

I don't have problems with it, maybe I missed his point.

You also have to realise that no player coming back from loan would walk straight into our starting XI. That just won't happen. Sturridge is an exception, because of how poor we were at that moment. You have to give them chances and hope they do good. Mistakes will happen, thats for sure but as long as they dont make mistakes any more than their teammates, we're fine.

Kalas deserves that chance now, hes worked hard to earn it.

Not if the fans are prepared to realise that youngsters need time and are going to make mistakes no matter what. Even our senior players make mistakes (Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Luiz all do it!).

I still think it's ridiculous that we're even saying he should be loaned out again for a couple of mistakes in friendlies which are only about picking up fitness and where concentration isn't even likely to be at 100% as the matches are meaningless. If you'd seen the lad at Vitesse these last 2 seasons and especially in his first season, you'd realise that he is in fact ready to make the step up and challenge for a place in this squad. These youngsters have to be bedded in at some point and now is the perfect opportunity for a CB in our squad, and i'd much rather it be Kalas who has proven himself in the last two seasons, playing over 60 games and been a team that put there trust in him at CB, than Omeruo who you suggested whose barely played over 20 games at CB in a competitive league

It's not because of the friendlies though. Not sure if you didn't read my posts, but I've said it's too early for him even before preseason started.

Give me a break that we should blood in youngsters and live with the mistakes. This is Chelsea, the stakes are a little too high to be gambling 3 points for development of a kid. People want Luiz sold because he made a mistake, people would want the manager and the player out when Kalas makes a mistake. At smaller teams, if young CBs make mistakes resulting in goals, you may finish 10th instead of 8th but get a chance to develop him into a beast next season. That's fine. You do that at Chelsea, you drop from 1st to 2nd, that's the stupidest thing I've heard ever. Yeah, let's run Chelsea like Crewe is ran.

I don't mind rushing a striker or mids, because they have a lot of help and others around them can pick up the slack, but a weak CB that doesn't provide a team with confidence is going to have a detrimental mental affect on the entire team. Last year, we gave up 2-0 leads for that very reason. The confidence within the team was shot, every player was expecting we would concede and that the defence isn't good enough. Playing 20 year olds who make mistakes isn't going to help, neither him nor us.

Imo, CBs should never be rushed. Considering the stakes, you're putting so much pressure on them because they know one mistake will result in a goal. That's a little too much pressure for a 20 year old kid.

Good post and I agree with you. GKs and defenders develop a lot slower than players further up front as experience is key in their positions.

Still don't understand the decision to keep him here. Maybe Mourinho sees something special in him and will play him quite a lot..

Playing at RB for Vitesse last season has definitely had an effect on his game at CB. It's very difficult to make that transition. A loan to a PL or Bundesliga club, where he would play in the centre again, would do him a lot of good imo.

So small? He's around 6 ft 2, and is quite filled out for his frame. No idea what you're on about. Kalas is a great athlete, has size and pace to match.

He is 6ft 1/2 which is rather short for an defender + he is extremely lightwight. Most strikers are bigger.

I support Chelsea. I also support the players. I'm thinking what's best for him and Chelsea in the long run. Thinking about the development of the player is also called supporting your players. Giving them the best opportunities to succeed is also called supporting your players. It's pathetic really that you are questioning my support for our players when everything I'm arguing has been solely focused on Kalas and his development and what's best for him.

You're naive if you think Kalas can deal with the pressure and mistakes like Ivanovic can. It's one thing not being good enough, it's another when you know you're good enough but the moment has gotten the best of you and you aren't able to perform to your best. That's what ruins development of a young player, they start second guessing everything resulting in a complete demolition of any confidence they may have. I also don't care if he makes mistakes, I'm not going to ask for him to be sold if he does, because like I said, he has a great future ahead of him. But I'm thinking about him as well, and whether it's the best scenario for him to be 4th choice at Chelsea.

For those who don't know, Kalas himself admitted to not being ready for Chelsea this year. It was Jose who has asked him to stay at Chelsea this year. That right there should be a red flag. Because Mou can provide him with as much confidence possible, every mistake he makes will be amplified in his head because at the back of his mind he himself doesn't believe he's ready. Like I said, it's too much pressure for a kid.

I just don't see how valuable it will be for him to be our 4th choice CB.

This all depends on his self-confidence. Just because he is younger doesn't automatically mean he won't have as much self confidence to bounce back from errors. Obviously none of us know how much self-belief he has, but for all we know he might be the type of player that has the mentality to learn from mistakes and get over them

"It was the first day of training when Mr Mourinho came to me and asked me if I would accept the challenge to be a first team player and give it everything and, of course, I accepted. I had no doubts. Straight away I said yes. I played for two years in Holland, I played 63 games and another maybe would be worse than better."

If he really had strong doubts about being in the squad he could have asked for another loan so he could develop more, but from this quote it sounds like he himself thinks he's ready to step up.

The development of his game will come, he is a raw talent and is more suitable for RB imo, but he has great potential and under Jose's coaching might gain alot of useful criticism to which he will develop from.

This all depends on his self-confidence. Just because he is younger doesn't automatically mean he won't have as much self confidence to bounce back from errors. Obviously none of us know how much self-belief he has, but for all we know he might be the type of player that has the mentality to learn from mistakes and get over them

"It was the first day of training when Mr Mourinho came to me and asked me if I would accept the challenge to be a first team player and give it everything and, of course, I accepted. I had no doubts. Straight away I said yes. I played for two years in Holland, I played 63 games and another maybe would be worse than better."

If he really had strong doubts about being in the squad he could have asked for another loan so he could develop more, but from this quote it sounds like he himself thinks he's ready to step up.

Of course he wont say no to a chance to work with Mourinho. However, before Mou came he himself said he wants another season loan before he comes back to Chelsea.

And yes, he'll def learn from his mistakes, everyone does. But to what extent? Considering he's 4th choice and will probably only get every 6th or 7th game, he'll hardly have the consistent playing time to actually apply what he learns from one game to the next. It's just not an ideal scenario for his development imo.

Of course he wont say no to a chance to work with Mourinho. However, before Mou came he himself said he wants another season loan before he comes back to Chelsea.

And yes, he'll def learn from his mistakes, everyone does. But to what extent? Considering he's 4th choice and will probably only get every 6th or 7th game, he'll hardly have the consistent playing time to actually apply what he learns from one game to the next. It's just not an ideal scenario for his development imo.

But if he really didn't think he was ready he could have asked for another loan. I also think one reason why he initially said he needs another season is because the club may have told him they were preparing to send him out (think WBA wanted him), but Jose decided against it once he arrived.

Well we should wait and see if he's actually 4th choice because things can change quickly if he impresses like they did for Varane at Madrid, and with Terry increasingly picking up injuries and Cahill being Cahill more opportunities may arise for him

It seems that he is out for a month or so.I wanted to see him in the US pre season because we could see his real potential against better opponents.

Any news if someone else is replacing him in the squad for the US? Would love to see Omeruo given a chance.

5th choice. if i were to rate our cbs it would be luiz, JT, iva, cahill, kalas.