Tomáš Kalas

James

Yeah to be honest it isn't worth risking playing him. It's not like he was one of the best players in the Dutch league last season. Don't blame him really.

The issue is, though, why promise him 15 starts if he isn't going to get any? Why not send him back on loan instead of letting him just rot in the reserves?

• 2 weeks later...

The Czech NT coach Pavel Vrba has apparently said this about Kalas..

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2014/1/21/5330462/czech-chelsea-fc-tomas-kalas-should-go-on-loan-pavel-vrba

"Tomas is dissatisfied with the fact that he has played very little at Chelsea. Now, maybe, it's more a matter of finding a club where he gets a better chance. Chelsea appreciate him and the future certainly counts, but now might not be bad time to turn somewhere else like he did in the past."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kalas yesterday played for U-21 Czechs and was interviewed afterwards. And he did not say anything pleasing, and (honestly) unexpecting. He wants to leave Chelsea and go on loan. See the rough translation of the important parts of the interview.

Has your relationship with Jose Mourinho gone through any progress or still nothing between you two?

Same old, same old, nothing new. As I already said, I want to finish this season somehow, aiming not to lose much, and then move somewhere where I am really going to play and where everything will be completely different. Just like in Holland.

Is there any chance that Chelsea representatives were keeping an eye on your today's performance?

Definitely not.

Would Mourinho at least analyse your performance?

He personally wouldn't, I guess. I don't want to judge him unfairly but I don't think so. He has never done it with me before and I don't think anything changed. At most, the assistant would ask me about my performance. I would reply that it was bad and that would be it.

This approach does not make you happy, I suppose...

Of course, you can see it now. I guess this is part of a playing career and players' development. A lot of players have been though this and a lot of them will.

Is the lack of playing time obvious to you on the pitch? Are you afraid of losing your place for the next year's European Championship?

That's surely of the main reasons I want to go on loan. I want to be playing. With this way, I could barely get into the (national) team.

I guess he's off in the summer then. He's certainly not content with the way he's been treated by Chelsea. I remember he was promised some games but then he got injured and everything changed.

I kinda feel sorry for the guy because he was injured when the team was in flux and players who weren't in Mourinho's initial plans like Cahill and Azpi got a chance to establish themselves, but in reality it was always going to be a stretch for him. He'll be 21 before the season is out and he needs to start making those moves to kickstart his career....Maybe it is right for him to go, hopefully on loan to an English side but if not out permanently. He won't be homegrown like Ake and he isn't English (it counts) like Chalobah.

If Ivanovic does leave, which is unlikely, then maybe he's got a shot as that right-back/centre-back hybrid. Sounds pissed though.

I kinda feel sorry for the guy because he was injured when the team was in flux and players who weren't in Mourinho's initial plans like Cahill and Azpi got a chance to establish themselves, but in reality it was always going to be a stretch for him. He'll be 21 before the season is out and he needs to start making those moves to kickstart his career....Maybe it is right for him to go, hopefully on loan to an English side but if not out permanently. He won't be homegrown like Ake and he isn't English (it counts) like Chalobah.

If Ivanovic does leave, which is unlikely, then maybe he's got a shot as that right-back/centre-back hybrid. Sounds pissed though.

Trust me, he really does sound pissed. The answers in the whole interview were curt and he was always mentioning the fact that he is not playing at all. His last sentence was that if it wasn't for this national teams friendlies, it would be a year without football. He also mentioned the loan possiblities - he still has no offers but he prefers German league, England is only his second choice because of the different cultures. Kalas wants to know at the end of this season already where he is going to play next year.

I called this before the season started. It was stupid to keep him here. Teenage defenders were never and will never break into a top tier EPL team. It was just stupid to think he would. Should have let him go on loan.

He's about the same age as Jon Flanaghan. And Phil Jones. And Chris Smalling. And John Stones. And Micah Richards and Nastasic.

He's just been unlucky that he couldn't get a chance earlier in the season and that Jose puts such an emphasis on defensive stability that even Luiz and Cole can't get a look in. Honestly I think this season was all about building a stable foundation and once that's done you can start to blood younger players.

You know what, I'm kinda tired of this guy always moaning and creating shit stories. And I don't rate him that much either. He's had his chances to impress in the pre-season and he was, by far, our weakest player against a bunch of malaysians and indonesians. You can see the talent, but the problem is in his head. It is the same story with De Bruyne all over again - this guys want everything football has to offer at such a young age like their career would be over at 25-26. Add to that their childish attitude, they are boys in a man's body.

He should have got the league cup, Steau home and Derby FA Cup games and if he impressed build his apps from there.

Im not that bothered tho, the club has made great progress this year and if that's at the expense off Kalas having the hump so be it.

You know what, I'm kinda tired of this guy always moaning and creating shit stories. And I don't rate him that much either. He's had his chances to impress in the pre-season and he was, by far, our weakest player against a bunch of malaysians and indonesians. You can see the talent, but the problem is in his head. It is the same story with De Bruyne all over again - this guys want everything football has to offer at such a young age like their career would be over at 25-26. Add to that their childish attitude, they are boys in a man's body.

Or they just want the best for their careers? Is Mata also a 'boy trapped in a man's body'? hardly doubt he(Kalas) wants to be starting week in week out over Terry. But certainly some meaningful appearances (especially after Jose blocked loans in January and said in summer that he would be a part of this squad) would not be undue. It is, in essence, a wasted year of development.