Oriol Romeu

termninja

That is indeed very good news, but I think we are all forgetting the will of the player here. If barca came knocking and Oriol wants to go back I don't think the club will force him to stay, we are not Arsenal.

That is indeed very good news, but I think we are all forgetting the will of the player here. If barca came knocking and Oriol wants to go back I don't think the club will force him to stay, we are not Arsenal.

True, but that's a risk in any sense.

At least we're less assured now that it's not a buy-back clause, but just first-refusal.

Great news, he has been nothing short of fantastic. I disagree with AVB about the transfers (though I doubt he will be honest about who he needs or who he will go for)

1) Essien is not the type of player we require in central midfield, and there is absolutely no guarantee he will be as good as before, let alone a prime Essien.

2) With Alex leaving we are dangerously short on squad depth at centreback. Should bosingwa go too, and he should, we would be one injury away from total collapse at the back. Maybe not Cahill, but should Alex and/or Bosingwa leave, we will need a new defender.

3) Regarding Cole, he has been one of the worst performers under AVB. I know Perreira is too expensive, but if AVB feels that we need him, we should get him. The best alternative would be to give Bertrand some games against weaker opponents and then see if he can up his game.

Great news, he has been nothing short of fantastic. I disagree with AVB about the transfers (though I doubt he will be honest about who he needs or who he will go for)

1) Essien is not the type of player we require in central midfield, and there is absolutely no guarantee he will be as good as before, let alone a prime Essien.

2) With Alex leaving we are dangerously short on squad depth at centreback. Should bosingwa go too, and he should, we would be one injury away from total collapse at the back. Maybe not Cahill, but should Alex and/or Bosingwa leave, we will need a new defender.

3) Regarding Cole, he has been one of the worst performers under AVB. I know Perreira is too expensive, but if AVB feels that we need him, we should get him. The best alternative would be to give Bertrand some games against weaker opponents and then see if he can up his game.

You make some good points here hd, but everytime ive seen that Perreira he looks average at best. I really can't see what all the fuss is about with that fella!

Very glad we can put the whole "Barcelona will steal him back" joke to rest. Maybe we'll finally begin evaluating his actual current ability without being affected by external factors such as this one.

As a matter of fact, I finally noticed after the Newcastle and Valencia games how/why he can be of more use than Mikel when it comes to defending.

The amount of tackles he makes and 50-50s he wins due to his speed and his persistence win us the ball more often and more importantly much quicker than Mikel's interceptions.

"Alvaro [Pereira] I don't think so based on prices and because we are pretty satisfied with what we have got. Ryan Bertrand has shown fantastically good levels of understanding in the team and talent and Ashley Cole is continuing to perform fantastically well." AVB in the same interview where he clarified Romeu's buy-out clause....

"Alvaro [Pereira] I don't think so based on prices and because we are pretty satisfied with what we have got. Ryan Bertrand has shown fantastically good levels of understanding in the team and talent and Ashley Cole is continuing to perform fantastically well." AVB in the same interview where he clarified Romeu's buy-out clause....

I know, but AVB wouldn't just come out and say that he wants X player because player Y is not performing. Cole has been really, really poor and if his form continues for a long period of time, we might need to seek a replacement. Or promote Bertrand to first choice.