Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

3 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Thibo isn't even our best GK this season, so I would prefer us to cut out ties with him ahead of Cahill tbh.

His name shouldn't be mentioned alongside Drogba in any form as well.

And ten years ago it was said Drogba shouldn't have been named in the same breath as JFH let alone Zola etc. Caballero has been alright if we are judging him by the standards of a number 2 but if we are judging by the standards of a number 1 he is miles away, i don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion he's been better than Courtois, it's like the goalkeeping version of when Costa had a few bad games and people started thinking Remy was better.

And ten years ago it was said Drogba shouldn't have been named in the same breath as JFH let alone Zola etc. Caballero has been alright if we are judging him by the standards of a number 2 but if we are judging by the standards of a number 1 he is miles away, i don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion he's been better than Courtois, it's like the goalkeeping version of when Costa had a few bad games and people started thinking Remy was better.
Drogba hadn't achieved legend status by then. Are you trying to insinuate Thibo will be in that category at some point?

I'm talking about this season alone and what both have shown. Think very few release that Willy was arguably the best GK in Spain was a number of years prior to his move to City. In addition, we don't have Hilario as our backup, & there's more to a player than what they do on the pitch. Just look at Costa for one

4 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Drogba hadn't achieved legend status by then. Are you trying to insinuate Thibo will be in that category at some point?

I'm talking about this season alone and what both have shown. Think very few release that Willy was arguably the best GK in Spain was a number of years prior to his move to City. In addition, we don't have Hilario as our backup, & there's more to a player than what they do on the pitch. Just look at Costa for one

Well if we talk about the most recent game, Caballero gifted Mahrez an open goal (which he fortunately missed) and dropped a shot straight to the feet of Jamie Vardy. He causes panic from set pieces and is average in command on his area.

On 3/29/2018 at 4:58 PM, Tomo said:
Well if we talk about the most recent game, Caballero gifted Mahrez an open goal (which he fortunately missed) and dropped a shot straight to the feet of Jamie Vardy. He causes panic from set pieces and is average in command on his area.

He was also alert to prevent a run from Vardy and was very unfortunate to concede late on after a few good saves. Two of our three defenders starting defenders are over 6ft, so they shouldn't be reliant on Thibo catching high balls when they can clear them.

Aside from the opposition, how did Thibo do against Palace & Barcelona? He was arguably at fault for all four goals

7 hours ago, LAM09 said:

He was also alert to prevent a run from Vardy and was very unfortunate to concede late on after a few good saves. Two of our three defenders starting defenders are over 6ft, so they shouldn't be reliant on Thibo catching high balls when they can clear them.

Aside from the opposition, how did Thibo do against Palace & Barcelona?

He was arguably at fault for all four goals

But if were going to judge Willy by the standards of a number 1, then he could have made 20 saves but that would have been irrelevant as he fucked up for Vardy's goal and gave Mahrez a gift.

Courtois fucked up vs Barca i can't defend him there, but ultimately he has a track record Caballero simply hasn't got.

But if were going to judge Willy by the standards of a number 1, then he could have made 20 saves but that would have been irrelevant as he fucked up for Vardy's goal and gave Mahrez a gift.
Courtois fucked up vs Barca i can't defend him there, but ultimately he has a track record Caballero simply hasn't got.

You're forgetting to mention Palace, Watford as of late. I'm losing track of his supposed record at this point, as he's far from the keeper that came back from Spain.

There's no point in discussing who's better or worse at aspects of the game at this point but the bottom line is, we need a new GK in the summer.

8 hours ago, LAM09 said:

You're forgetting to mention Palace, Watford as of late. I'm losing track of his supposed record at this point, as he's far from the keeper that came back from Spain.

There's no point in discussing who's better or worse at aspects of the game at this point but the bottom line is, we need a new GK in the summer.

That a little bit over the top imo, because even though he has been abysmal in 2018 he can still be a good and sometimes even a great keeper. There are many positions where we should spend some money for upgrades, but the GK position isn´t one of them. 

That a little bit over the top imo, because even though he has been abysmal in 2018 he can still be a good and sometimes even a great keeper. There are many positions where we should spend some money for upgrades, but the GK position isn´t one of them. 
He's expenable at this point and no time like the present to get a good fee for him. Had ample time to sign on the dotted line but holding out for something.

21 minutes ago, Mana said:

Let's not forget about Roma as well. How can we forget his horrific game there?

Courtois has made a lot of basic mistakes this season, to the point that now we shouldn't be surprised. We laugh at Cech, but Courtois isn't much better. I can think of at least 3 GKs in the PL better than or equal to Courtois. 

And he has the GALL to open his mouth about Madrid. I can no longer defend Courtois anymore until he majorly improves his game AND attitude towards the club.

Are you just cherry picking games he wasn't great in? You could even do that with pre head injury Cech and you could most certainly do that with ANY current keeper. 

7 minutes ago, Mana said:

There are some games that you can put your hand up and say “there is no way he could have saved that” or “it’s a 50/50”

But Courtois has been shocking this season for a GK that’s supposed to be WC.

No he hasn't.

Not at his best ill give, but he's far from "shocking" .

Him and Hazard both backed off Real Madrid with displays against Barcelona, I think. I mean, they are still great players, but they just cost too much for playing like that in two big-stage games. Can't see why would Real go for Hazard and not Dybala, and for Courtois instead of Oblak, considering their performances and how much they would cost.

11 minutes ago, El P. said:

Him and Hazard both backed off Real Madrid with displays against Barcelona, I think. I mean, they are still great players, but they just cost too much for playing like that in two big-stage games. Can't see why would Real go for Hazard and not Dybala, and for Courtois instead of Oblak, considering their performances and how much they would cost.

Ronaldo's big game record at United was average (a lot worse than Eden's domestically although did better in Europe) yet it didn't stop Real signing him.

7 hours ago, Tomo said:

Are you just cherry picking games he wasn't great in? You could even do that with pre head injury Cech and you could most certainly do that with ANY current keeper. 

True that.

Cech b/w 2008-2009 was in horrible form. Thankfully we never gave up on him, and we reaped the benefits because of that.

Lousy defense in front usually results in lousy goalkeeping. Just look at Cech at Arsenal. 

Courtois is having a terrible season, and people can pick plenty of games and fish plenty of newspaper quotes to bash him. I will admit that the Barcelona game was terrible for a keeper of any standard.

But his record with us in seasons prior, has been decent overall.

IMO, goalkeeper is one of the last positions on the starting eleven I would want to dive into the next transfer market for. Plenty of other squad roles that need filling before that.

On 3/30/2018 at 5:19 PM, Tomo said:

Ronaldo's big game record at United was average (a lot worse than Eden's domestically although did better in Europe) yet it didn't stop Real signing him.

That's because he was a goal machine and a lot more popular globally than Hazard. Real don't need big game players, they have only 2 big games per season + a few in CL, they need flat track bullies and the likes of Ronaldo is perfect for that.