Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

Yeah, being a goalkeeper is always such an ungrateful job... Tibo is probably the least guy to be blamed about our lost yesterday. There was almost nothing he could've done better with such a bad defending from the players in front of him. You also seem to forget his good save against Radja before Roma's 1st goal, where Alonso was 3 minutes away from the situation and let a lot of free space for the opposition, something that happened a lot of times. The only thing I don't like in Tibo is that he is never sure about coming out and taking high balls, eventhough he is almost always the tallest guy in the box, it's like his weakness. But apart from that, he is a really solid GK and I'm thankfull we have him.

4 hours ago, King11Didier said:

Yeah, being a goalkeeper is always such an ungrateful job... Tibo is probably the least guy to be blamed about our lost yesterday. There was almost nothing he could've done better with such a bad defending from the players in front of him. You also seem to forget his good save against Radja before Roma's 1st goal, where Alonso was 3 minutes away from the situation and let a lot of free space for the opposition, something that happened a lot of times. The only thing I don't like in Tibo is that he is never sure about coming out and taking high balls, eventhough he is almost always the tallest guy in the box, it's like his weakness. But apart from that, he is a really solid GK and I'm thankfull we have him.

He also made a vital save with his foot from a Kolarov cross from the byline that was heading straight to Dzeko for a tap in.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that third goal was pathetic.

It's also getting clearer and clearer that other GKs have surpassed Courtois at this point. You can count the games Courtois single-handedly won us in the past 3 years on one hand; that's just not good enough for a someone who's supposed to be top-3 in his position. You can blame our defense as long as you want but like strikers, sometimes you just need your GK to win a game on his own.

It shouldn't be ignored that he was an absolutely superior player for Atletico. Maybe one or 2 performances for us have been 'woah', but every single game for Atletico was a woah for him. We know his heart isn't here, and mine wouldn't be either if i'd helped an underdog become a top dog in a country with a far superior lifestyle. The only advantage we offer him is more money, and the amount we offer vs. Atletico's makes - zero - difference to a person's quality of life & happiness. So, actually contradicting that; we offer nothing that Atletico don't, really. They actually offer more in terms of charm on the pitch and lifestyle off of it.

I was really itching to sell him for 50-80m after his Atletico stint; we could've signed anyone with that money at that time. 
Even with fees going crazy now, I can't see that window for a mega fee being open again. Partly too because every club with cash has already been identifying their own long term keeper. 
I really dislike having players here who'd rather be elsewhere.

17 hours ago, Mana said:

Bumping this up again because surprise surprise...Courtois has made a blunder for the third goal! (Yes the defence Alonso, Luiz, Rudiger etc. was super shite, you don't need to pinpoint it to me here)

I wasn't kidding when I said back in the Everton Carbabo Cup game, that Willy has made more crucial saves than Courtois all season.

Give Willy a chance this Sunday.

He should have done a lot better for the third goal but from what i saw (had to watch the highlights as i had a commitment that stopped me watching live) he again prevented the score being even worse. Courtois doesn't make the type of saves Caballero did vs Everton mainly because he doesn't have too, his positioning is so good he makes even borderline impossible saves look easier than they are.

If he leaves, we will quickly realise just how good we had it.

I'll say it again. One of the best keepers in the world. When he does see, you'll realise.  His positioning is top notch. People getting overwhelmed by diving saves because the keepers are smaller or out of position unlike Courtois.

One of the best shot stoppers for sure. However, his distribution is almost nonexistent

On 02/11/2017 at 11:03 AM, LAM09 said:

One of the best shot stoppers for sure. However, his distribution is almost nonexistent

Agree. I personally don't think ball distribution is as important as some people make it out to be. But we all have differing opinions. He is a great presence in the box, and he is a great shot stopper. Enough for me, since he is one of, if not the best at both of those things. 

Agree. I personally don't think ball distribution is as important as some people make it out to be. But we all have differing opinions. He is a great presence in the box, and he is a great shot stopper. Enough for me, since he is one of, if not the best at both of those things. 
I'm of the train of thought that it's secondary to stopping the ball going into the net. He's just being scrutinised this season with the emphasis on playing more from the back this season, due to the lack of a target man for the first time in a while.

• 3 weeks later...