Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

25 minutes ago, manpe said:

Wow that is just shocking :o

Its not really shocking at all honestly.

Courtois is capable of the fantastic save here and there, but on a weekly basis he's just as shakey as the rest of our defense. Only difference is he is excused because the people in front of him are shite. His big name is on his time in a fantastic system under Simeone, and under the potential he has. He isnt one of the best in the league, much less the world.

45 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

PREMIER LEAGUE GOALKEEPERS
PLAYER TEAM SAVE PERCENTAGE
Claudio Bravo Manchester City 77.8
Hugo Lloris Tottenham Hotspur 77.8
Tom Heaton Burnley 76.5
Ben Foster West Bromwich Albion 75
Eldin Jakupovic Hull City 74.1
Kasper Schmeichel Leicester City 72.7
Jordan Pickford Sunderland 72.4
Petr Cech Arsenal 70.8
Maarten Stekelenburg Everton 69.2
Artur Boruc Bournemouth 67.9
Steve Mandanda Crystal Palace 66.7
Lukasz Fabianksi Swansea City 66.7
David de Gea Manchester United 65
Heurelho Gomes Watford 59.3
Adrian West Ham United 59
Simon Mignolet Liverpool 55.6
Shay Given Stoke City 54.8
Fraser Forster Southampton 53.9
Victor Valdes Middlesbrough 50
Thibaut Courtois Chelsea 47.1

Exactly what I said a few pages back. I have to think so hard to remember any match we won because Courtois pulled off saves to help us win. When cech was here, I wouldn't need to go back more than 7 games to find one where he's made 3-4 saves. 

Courtois problem is he is so slow to come off his line to make saves. And he doesn't tell his defenders when there's someone free in the box. Cech was far more vocal and the best keepers are really.  

36 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

Its not really shocking at all honestly.

Courtois is capable of the fantastic save here and there, but on a weekly basis he's just as shakey as the rest of our defense. Only difference is he is excused because the people in front of him are shite. His big name is on his time in a fantastic system under Simeone, and under the potential he has. He isnt one of the best in the league, much less the world.

6 games is hardly a great sample size, people forget Cech had similar stats under AVB until December.

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

6 games is hardly a great sample size, people forget Cech had similar stats under AVB until December.

Agreed. Not doubting his quality tbh but... He does need to step up and start being a GK that can win us games now and then. 

37 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

And people were slating him on here during that time too.

And I'm not saying he then or Courtois now doesn't deserve it. Just six games of those admitedly poor stats is enough to say he isn't one of the best in the league, I mean have we learned nothing from Diego's resurgence?

Much better from this game. 9 goals conceded from 17 shots this season is a shocking stat for someone at his level, but today was much better. The two saves he made in the first half prevented what could have been a very different game

On 30. 9. 2016 at 4:54 PM, Tomo said:

And I'm not saying he then or Courtois now doesn't deserve it. Just six games of those admitedly poor stats is enough to say he isn't one of the best in the league, I mean have we learned nothing from Diego's resurgence?

Well Tibo was poor for season and half now, so its not realy same thing to Cech and Diego.

He was good today though.

5 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Which two seasons might that be?

(Not that I dont remember his decline, just wondering if we mean the same time)

Half way through 07/08 up until half way through 09/10. In fact Christmas 2009 it got to the point i was genuinely wondering if we should look at selling him and going all out for Lloris.

Second half of the double season he was back to his best almost overnight, it was great to see.

36 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Half way through 07/08 up until half way through 09/10. In fact Christmas 2009 it got to the point i was genuinely wondering if we should look at selling him and going all out for Lloris.

Second half of the double season he was back to his best almost overnight, it was great to see.

I agree he was below his performances in certain periods. 

He had brainfarts and he realy went off with Scolari in 2009, but generaly I think he was not that poor as Tibo. In 2008 (2007/08) season he was arguably top 3 GK and same in 2010 (2009/10). 

IMO, Cech had periods of poor months, inconsistency, but also periods where he was realy good. His performances in CL in 2007/08 were great and like you said he got back to best in 2010.

But Tibo had been poor in straight line since last summer. He was injured too, but I dont rember realy good run of at least few games from him since last summer. 

Since we talked about loss of form for longer time and then coming back to best, yes you are right, Cech was kinda off during those two years (well, IMO he put several brilliant games then still, thats why I wouldnt say he was off for whole 2 year time). 

But Tibos poor form is on entire different level to Cech. 

8 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

I agree he was below his performances in certain periods. 

He had brainfarts and he realy went off with Scolari in 2009, but generaly I think he was not that poor as Tibo. In 2008 (2007/08) season he was arguably top 3 GK and same in 2010 (2009/10). 

IMO, Cech had periods of poor months, inconsistency, but also periods where he was realy good. His performances in CL in 2007/08 were great and like you said he got back to best in 2010.

But Tibo had been poor in straight line since last summer. He was injured too, but I dont rember realy good run of at least few games from him since last summer. 

Since we talked about loss of form for longer time and then coming back to best, yes you are right, Cech was kinda off during those two years (well, IMO he put several brilliant games then still, thats why I wouldnt say he was off for whole 2 year time). 

But Tibos poor form is on entire different level to Cech. 

In terms of amount  the time period involved, or the extent of loss in form?

If its the latter, I don't think Tibo has had a horror show close to what Cech had in the Champions league quarter final against Liverpool in 09. Or the 3-5 Arsenal win at the Bridge when AVB was here.

9 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

In terms of amount  the time period involved, or the extent of loss in form?

If its the latter, I don't think Tibo has had a horror show close to what Cech had in the Champions league quarter final against Liverpool in 09. Or the 3-5 Arsenal win at the Bridge when AVB was here.

Just in the amount of consecutive poor games...

Cech had some realy awful games, but some fantastic aswell in those two years. Tibo is just poor for a very long time. He might not have such terrible games like Cech vs arsenal, but no good ones either. Just poor to average for a while now. Even in certain games when he made some realy good saves, he did a big mistake and concede in the end.

Difficult to compare gk pat completely different stages at their careers... tibo is a lot younger than cech at the position where they peak in their thirties.

our squad has several deficiencies and goalkeeping is not one of them.