Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

How much he's fallen. From being the 2nd best goalkeeper in the world to being compared with Hilario. 

Think I would give Begovic a run of games for the rest of this lame ass season. Tibo is still a baby in terms of goalkeeping age and he will bounce back.

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

I remember someone said on herearrow-10x10.png that Courtois doesn't seem to be like onearrow-10x10.png of those keepers who makes savearrow-10x10.png after save after save and drags the team out of trouble. Sure he does produce some outstanding savesarrow-10x10.png from time to time but I can't remember him having one game where the opponents didn't have a chance of beating him. Always seem to concede at least one goal and of late, he's been conceding lots of cheap goals!

Games against Liverpool in the league cup semi-final last year? His performances were a big reason for how we went through...

There are lot of problems in our squad, but I think the biggest ones are playing front of our goalkeeper.

On 06/03/2016 at 0:05 PM, MCM4PR3Z said:

Mignolet is the best goalkeeper in the EPL, look at his clean sheet record.

You're clearly missing the point, and/or blinded by the fact I'm criticising your countryman. He simply isn't good enough at the moment. 

4 hours ago, BlueLion said:

You're clearly missing the point, and/or blinded by the fact I'm criticising your countryman. He simply isn't good enough at the moment. 

Mignolet is also my countryman #numberonegoalkeeperworldwide

If Cechs Chelsea career was reversed it would have took him years to endeer himself to the fans, when Petr was confirmed to start vs United the knifes were out, so many up in arms about Cudicini being dropped.

Cech needed a super season to win over a fan base still loyal to Carlo, unfortunately Courtois will need a similar super season to gain similar acceptance.

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

If Cechs Chelsea career was reversed it would have took him years to endeer himself to the fans, when Petr was confirmed to start vs United the knifes were out, so many up in arms about Cudicini being dropped.

Cech needed a super season to win over a fan base still loyal to Carlo, unfortunately Courtois will need a similar super season to gain similar acceptance.

I disagree.

He had a superb season last year.

My concerns, which are shared by many on this board, evidently, suggest he is performing well below his usual standards. He must believe he is undroppable as he has started in every game against Scunthorpe in the FA Cup since Hiddink arrived, despite some very insipid performances. If we had a braver manager than Hiddink, and/or someone who wouldn't accept second-rate performances, Courtois would be one of many rotting on the bench at present.

GKs are different beasts.

you cannot rotate them bc they lose confidnce not to mention timing aka match fitness.

he's also one of the most dependent players on the pitch. When the defensive system is sound, the opponent's shot will be weaker and more predictable - fewer potencial paths to get to the goal.

the way we've been playing no wonder courtois is struggling just like begovic was struggling before but nobody remembers.

Massive overeaction with one of the very few world class players we got.

We sold Cech for him, most of the fans told me at that time, Courtois is the future.

But history repeats itself, when he is not at his best, but always trying, some turn on him, sad, very sad,

especially the long term injury and the fact that the whole team is in shambles should cut him some slack.

Lukaku got the better of our defence, twice, what do you expect him to do?

Goal is huge, i played in it for some time, world class finishes from Lukaku, hard and accurate, nothing to do against it

Courtois has to play, i don't see a better way how he can regain full confidence.

Young Keeper, sometimes a bit undecided what to do, big problem.. i don't think so.

Courtois is one of the top keepers in the world at 23 years old (I think?), stop with this hes regressed talk, its such bullshit. He cannot save everything every game every week and the whole squad this year has been incredibly poor for half of the season. 

Just now, King11Didier said:

Yeah. and people were saying he is the second best keeper after Neuer. My arse...

He probably is. He is probably just as good as Neuer actually, I think Neuer's slightly over glorified because hes somehow been reinvented into some sort of sweeper keeper/footballing god looking at what people say about him. The same with De Gea, he has one really outstanding season for United and hes automatically the best keeper in the world? Bullshit.

Courtois had 3 outstanding years at Atletico which was made even more impressive considering he had just come straight out the Belgian league with Genk where he was also very key to their title win at 18 years old. Also last year for us he was important, a lot of people were slightly concerned because of Cech being on the bench but Courtois was rightfully in the team and didn't disappoint with his performances (especially for dealing with crosses which I feel he is better at dealing at than Cech). Every team in Europe would take Courtois in a heart beat but yet here we are saying hes regressed and should play Begovic more etc and not as good as everyone once said... crazy times. I bet if we went to sell him a Real Madrid or Barcelona would be the first clubs to be interested. 

9 hours ago, Tomo said:

Two things about that comparison:

1- Cudiccini's career and what he did for the club is not even on the same planet as Cech's (and I adore Carlo, but that's just a fact).

2- Till now, Thibaut at the level that Petr was at in 2004.

I get why the comparison is 'tempting' but it really doesn't logically stand. 

He couldn't save all shots, moreover when our defensive is so poor. No matter what we should try to do everything to grow his confident, rip with defensive and pray that he doesnt get any injures. Moaning cant help at all.

He is still top and we should build 'new' team from him as a skeleton with Azpi, Baba, Christensen, Traore and even with Hazard.