Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

The team saved him twice. I wonder what the reaction would have been if we conceded because of Cahill. Some players cough Belgian cough are immune to criticism.

And he saved the team more than twice in the last match as well. He's got a lot of stick for the two mistakes, and rightly so, but you want him to get the criticism for two freak mistakes that Cahill gets for consistently making the same mistakes over and over again. That's not going to happen because Thibaut has been solid and consistent throughout the season.

No he shouldn't, because he is our future but i wouldn't be surpised f he will because that's Mou's way

What does future have to do with the whole thing? Of course he should, this is Chelsea, this is also Petr Cech we have on the bench so its not like we'll be replacing him with Turnbull.

Courtois is a good goalie but recently made too many mistakes, therefore has to be dropped. Maybe that will motivate him.

What does future have to do with the whole thing? Of course he should, this is Chelsea, this is also Petr Cech we have on the bench so its not like we'll be replacing him with Turnbull.

Courtois is a good goalie but recently made too many mistakes, therefore has to be dropped. Maybe that will motivate him.

PLEASE QUANTIFY ..ALL his mistakes ???

Why would that motivate him? From next season he currently has no competition at all. It's not exactly a secret that Cechs gone come July.

He made two mistakes in like forever, and he more than redeemed himself for the first one. Get over it. He doesn't need that sort of "motivation".

The criticism of Courtois is abit harsh. Most goalkeepers would be on the edge of their own box with the ball 65 yards out. The ball didn't exactly loop over Courtois like the Beckham goal against Sullivan, Adam hit it so sweetly he didn't really have a chance.

Read an interview with Lollichon the other week where he was saying they have a camera angle which they watch the entire game back with the keepers. It displays the entire pitch so they can analyse the GK position wherever the ball is. If they'd of thought at any time of the season that Courtois was too far off of his line, Lollichon would of coached it out of him by now.

Here's the Lollichon interview David was talking about - http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2015/03/24/interview-chelseas-goalkeeping-coach-christophe-lollichon/

Key part about the goalkeepers...

O! : What are tactics for a keeper ?

“The way he manages his match. A keeper is like an air traffic controller. He has to coordinate movement. A keeper is someone who must be able to anticipate. When we have the ball, where should I position myself? Knowing where to place yourself when the team loses the ball, that’s managing how deep you stand. When you have a team that plays a high line, you need to be ready to control that and know where the opponent might counter-attack. That is the fruit of pre-match analysis. The modern-day keeper is not just a shot-stopper. He’s a player. The only difference is that he can use his hands.”

O! : What do you do to help a goalkeeper to progress?

“We repeat the same moves. Like playing your scales. You individualise the work. Petr is complete. With Thibault, there are things to watch for with some of his crossing work. There is a lot of video work. We analyse every match. I analyse every match of Petr, Thibault. They’re things that take a lot of time. Analysis of the match, then discussion, that takes four, four and a half hours. We select the clips. For the PSG match, Thibault is shown every clip where he is on the screen (as shown on television) during the first leg. We have a wide angle camera with almost both goals in it. I always look at the position of the keeper. Out of the question to see the keeper standing still ! Do you know how many kilometres a Chelsea keeper does?”

O! : 3, 4, 2 ?

“Between five and six, lots by walking. But sometimes you need to know when to accelerate at the right moment. That’s what we work on. A keeper must also be able to create a passing angle when a player is struggling to bring the ball out. He can open up the game. It’s about being able to anticipate. Of course, you need to be able to use your feet. But 80-85% of a keeper’s match is played with the feet. You have to be ready.”

O! : How would you compare Cech when he arrived and Courtois who is playing his first season this year?

“There’s not much in it. It’s top quality. They’ve supplemented their game tactically. Technically they are complete. Petr, for his first match at Deauville with Rennes, I wanted him to play higher up. During the match, he turned round to see where he was in relation to the goal. At half time I asked the referee if I could use some elastic. I wanted to put it on the pitch. I placed it coming straight out from the two posts, on the 6 yard line, the penalty spot and the eighteen yard line, to allow him to place himself higher up, by still knowing where the goal was. It took him 45 minutes. After that he understood it all.”

As it has been stated before me. The truth is Cech will be gone next season. The only way to make Courtois world class is to stick with him despite some errors. Valdes is judged to be high quality despite considerable flaws. The same with Neuer and alot of his stupid decisions.

You don't just become world class, you stay it by support of your fans/coach etc.

You can only become better when you make mistakes. So if you replace a player whenever they make a single mistake they loose confidence and you will go nowhere.

Here's a little secret...........Courtois is.........HUMAN. :blush: And humans do make the odd mistake. But at times I think he's superhuman. There is not a keeper who could have gotten to that shot, and his positioning was correct for the tactics we were playing. He was playing as a keeper/sweeper.That shot was a one in a million. And really, it was the only way Stoke were going to score as they didn't have a shot from our half :cry:

Yes, Cech is very good, but Courtois is great....................Anyway, we won, didn't we?

He conceded a goal from 70 yards, gifted a goal to Hull.. Two mistakes in two games I've never seen Cech make in his career.

Kid could turn out to be one of those keepers who saves the unsaveable, but you're never sure if he will produce something that could cost you points. Hopefully he comes good but there is a general consensus on this forum that certain players are never wrong while others are always at fault.

Dont care about next season atm, right now I feel Cech is a better option to start vs QPR

He conceded a goal from 70 yards, gifted a goal to Hull.. Two mistakes in two games I've never seen Cech make in his career.

Kid could turn out to be one of those keepers who saves the unsaveable, but you're never sure if he will produce something that could cost you points. Hopefully he comes good but there is a general consensus on this forum that certain players are never wrong while others are always at fault.

Dont care about next season atm, right now I feel Cech is a better option to start vs QPR

Yes, he conceded one from 70 yards..........But he's saved plenty from 7 yards.

What does future have to do with the whole thing? Of course he should, this is Chelsea, this is also Petr Cech we have on the bench so its not like we'll be replacing him with Turnbull. Courtois is a good goalie but recently made too many mistakes, therefore has to be dropped. Maybe that will motivate him.

Should that not apply to Ivanovic and Cahill also then?