Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

Can't blame him at all. He did everything he could. I'm sure he didn't expect the defending to be that poor.

I'm being very harsh with that criticism. Its me with my GK/GK coach's hat on. You commit to either coming for the ball or staying. If he stays, he saves it. A misjudgement on TBO's part as he should have realised it was an impossible ball to try and catch. He will learn. The save beforehand was tremendous though, if de Gea pulled that off there would be a media wankfest.

Are we really going to say that last goal was a fault of Tibo. I bet 90% of all goalkeepers would have conceeded that goal even if they were positioned well. Just because of his length we expect thousand times more.
That first save just before was insane! He handled all crosses during the match.

He was to blame for the second goal for me. Silva heads that ball from between the 18 yard box and the penalty spot, it's an out swinging corner and is moving away from the keeper, he the commits and then has back-peddle. If he stays put he saves it, simple as and if he's coming he has to stay committed to that decision.

Great save before hand, brilliant in fact, but it still remains he was at fault for the goal.

Are we really going to say that last goal was a fault of Tibo. I bet 90% of all goalkeepers would have conceeded that goal even if they were positioned well. Just because of his length we expect thousand times more.

That first save just before was insane! He handled all crosses during the match.

I dont sure if it is his fault or not ... I m blaming freaking everyone (different matter altogether) ...

But for me Courtois doesnt come in the 90% of those who didnt but he comes in the 10% of those elite where we expect him to save everything ...

He wasn't at fault at all. Jesus, what are you writing. You have "an emotional reaction" like Mourinho would say. Watched Thiago Silva goal so, so, so many times already and I tell you this : yes he initially went for a ball BUT until the ball reached Thiago Silva's head, Thibaut is already at the same position when he started. So he was positioned perfectly. Just because he wanted the ball initially doesn't mean that he was caught out of position. It isn't always black and white. The shot was perfect, Thibaut to save that should have been few steps closer to goal on his right side but that would expose half a goal on his left hand side. And he wouldn't have guessed where Thiago Silva will shoot.

I'm being very harsh with that criticism. Its me with my GK/GK coach's hat on. You commit to either coming for the ball or staying. If he stays, he saves it. A misjudgement on TBO's part as he should have realised it was an impossible ball to try and catch. He will learn. The save beforehand was tremendous though, if de Gea pulled that off there would be a media wankfest.

I'm still in doubt about this one. Yes, he rushes out a little bit and has to track back, but at the moment Silva heads the ball, he is almost in perfect position? No goalkeeper is standing exactly on the goalline at that moment?

Edit : his position :

34g36nb.jpg

He wasn't at fault at all. Jesus, what are you writing. You have "an emotional reaction" like Mourinho would say. Watched Thiago Silva goal so, so, so many times already and I tell you this : yes he initially went for a ball BUT until the ball reached Thiago Silva's head, Thibaut is already at the same position when he started. So he was positioned perfectly. Just because he wanted the ball initially doesn't mean that he was caught out of position. It isn't always black and white. The shot was perfect, Thibaut to save that should have been few steps closer to goal on his right side but that would expose half a goal on his left hand side. And he wouldn't have guessed where Thiago Silva will shoot.

Agree 100%. That was a perfect header.

I think Alex is pretty much right here. You either commit to staying on the line or you go out for the ball with your all. Courtois did neither and was caught in no-man's land. That goals is on him as much as it is on Terry/Cahill.

It speaks volumes that even our best player (Courtois) fucked up when it mattered most last night. This squad has no players to will the team to a win.

Interesting discussion wether or not he's to blame for the 2nd goal...

Sure he put a step forward ... that made him have to go backwards again and influenced his balance.

On the other hand... perfect lobbed header, just underneath the crossbar. I cannot see many GK's save this one.

Something to keep in mind. The fact he did put that step forward...

Been doing this all game long... clearing every single dangerous cross that came into our box!

The fact that he does this is just very relieving. You don't want to think of the danger that could've come from all the other crosses if Tibo would stay on his line all the time!!

Just very unfortunate. I think we have to take this for granted... He clears 90% of dangerous crosses & sometimes he will make the wrong bet (by stepping in). If he get's this out of his game... I think he can easily become the best GK ever!

Dominating in the air, perfect reflex saves on his line and good shot stopping!!

The only thing I concern is why he almost always pushes the ball into the game again... instead of pushing it to the side/end line...!!

I don't even know wtf you guys are saying tbh, he wasn't in a bad position, as the pîcture above clearly shows... He realized he wouldn't get there and got back into the standard position.

Perfect header from Silva, no keeper would save this. Ridiculous.

I'm still in doubt about this one. Yes, he rushes out a little bit and has to track back, but at the moment Silva heads the ball, he is almost in perfect position? No goalkeeper is standing exactly on the goalline at that moment?

Edit : his position :

34g36nb.jpg

Too aggressive for me. The FA teach you you should be approx 1.5 yards off your line. Just a stride too big for me

Don't think that extra stride would have made a difference. I see your point though.

Probably not. I'm not trying to pick fault or lay the blame on him. I'm just saying he was (for once) a bit indecisive and that might have played a factor in him not being able to get back.

As the above poster's image shows, he's in a decent position, but his balance is well off and when you're out of your set position it is very difficult to make a backwards "arcing" save. That one stride could have made a difference, IMO. I'd go into the physiological reasoning for my point but it would be too long and complex for me to fit into a readable post! But essentially his backwards momentum limits the force he can generate in his arcing save.

EDIT - and I don't want people to pop up with the usual comment of "oooh, Alex the Petr Cech superfan slagging off Courtois, typical". A; I'm not slagging him off and B; I'm critical about all of our goalkeepers. Being a keeper coach means I am very harsh on things like this :lol:

Edited by Alex

Don't think that extra stride would have made a difference.

Are you being serious? When a keeper takes an extra stride that is a whole lot of back peddling to do to even get into a saveable position. That header from Silva was dipping, not only that but bare in mind balance plays a massive factor as well as positioning. It only takes for him to be slightly mis-positioned or get caught in between to concede a goal.....The margins are miniscule.

Are you being serious? When a keeper takes an extra stride that is a whole lot of back peddling to do to even get into a saveable position. That header from Silva was dipping, not only that but bare in mind balance plays a massive factor as well as positioning. It only takes for him to be slightly mis-positioned or get caught in between to concede a goal.....The margins are miniscule.

Agreed. I'm not taking anything away from Silva but a goalkeeper a stride closer to his line might have tipped it over.

Its all fine margins though. A goalkeeper a stride closer to his line doesn't come and claim all those crosses - my point is TBO's relative indecision in deciding to go, then stay, made the difference. He realised he wasn't going to get there which represents both good judgement in realising his error, but also bad judgement in mis-assessing the trajectory of the delivery.

Fine margins and I'm being very harsh, I know.

Probably not. I'm not trying to pick fault or lay the blame on him. I'm just saying he was (for once) a bit indecisive and that might have played a factor in him not being able to get back.

As the above poster's image shows, he's in a decent position, but his balance is well off and when you're out of your set position it is very difficult to make a backwards "arcing" save. That one stride could have made a difference, IMO. I'd go into the physiological reasoning for my point but it would be too long and complex for me to fit into a readable post! But essentially his backwards momentum limits the force he can generate in his arcing save.

EDIT - and I don't want people to pop up with the usual comment of "oooh, Alex the Petr Cech superfan slagging off Courtois, typical". A; I'm not slagging him off and B; I'm critical about all of our goalkeepers. Being a keeper coach means I am very harsh on things like this [emoji38]

oooh, Alex the Petr Cech superfan slagging off Courtois, typical[emoji23] [emoji23] kidding.

I see, but he had been claiming crosses all night, the one time his decision making is just slightly off. Oh well.

He realized almost immediately he wasn't going to get it, and recovered. You're speculating. We could do that all day.