Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

If goalkeepers were judged on the amount of "for the camera" saves they make, then Shay Given would be the best keeper in football history.

Im not saying Cech isn't world class, just trying to say making spectacular saves is only a fraction of what makes a good keeper and he shouldn't be judged better than Tibo on that alone

Correct.

Mignolet started his Liverpool career making those hollywood saves, but was soon exposed in all other areas of his goalkeeping. Much like De Gea, great reactions but was rubbish with everything else..

Courtois was also chosen as the 20th best player worldwide.

Wow, that's great.

I'm not gonna say anything about Courtois season, because I missed a lot of Chelsea matches this season, so I couldn't judge him properly, nor give him the fair assesment (praise or blame him) even if I want to. So far from what I witnessed from the Chelsea match I watch live, I couldn't see any particular mistake he made.

Crazy to think all the goals we conceded until now, none are his mistake, nor he couldn't save any of them. Our defense must be so bad, that even top GK like him couldn't do anything about it.

If goalkeepers were judged on the amount of "for the camera" saves they make, then Shay Given would be the best keeper in football history.

Im not saying Cech isn't world class, just trying to say making spectacular saves is only a fraction of what makes a good keeper and he shouldn't be judged better than Tibo on that alone

True that, but if it wasnt Cech vs Newcastle, I have feeling we would concede at least one goal in first half.

Courtois is better at handling crosses, but everywhere else, I would still pick Cech. Maybe because Im more used to him, he looks more dependable.

If things get thick, I can see Cech step up like many times, Tibo will more or less flow with how his team is playing.

True that, but if it wasnt Cech vs Newcastle, I have feeling we would concede at least one goal in first half.

Courtois is better at handling crosses, but everywhere else, I would still pick Cech. Maybe because Im more used to him, he looks more dependable.

If things get thick, I can see Cech step up like many times, Tibo will more or less flow with how his team is playing.

Cech has 11 years' experience of doing it well at Chelsea. Courtois has less experience, but by doing it elsewhere - of course it is not reasonable to see Cech as the more dependable goalkeeper.

Courtois is our future and will one day surpass Cech (if he hasn't already in some departments). But I just love the way José, the club and the fans are treating Pete with an incredible amount of respect, and whether he manages to get to the 500 game mark and/or break the PL clean sheets record, he will leave a legend, wherever he goes, because he deserves it. Even if he goes to Arsenal, I couldn't hate on the man. He clearly loves life in London/England, he has children and a family and they are all settled here. Arsenal is a real possibility for Petr, but if he went there he would go with my respect, and he would break the clean sheets record there eventually as well.

Cech has 11 years' experience of doing it well at Chelsea. Courtois has less experience, but by doing it elsewhere - of course it is not reasonable to see Cech as the more dependable goalkeeper.

Courtois is our future and will one day surpass Cech (if he hasn't already in some departments). But I just love the way José, the club and the fans are treating Pete with an incredible amount of respect, and whether he manages to get to the 500 game mark and/or break the PL clean sheets record, he will leave a legend, wherever he goes, because he deserves it. Even if he goes to Arsenal, I couldn't hate on the man. He clearly loves life in London/England, he has children and a family and they are all settled here. Arsenal is a real possibility for Petr, but if he went there he would go with my respect, and he would break the clean sheets record there eventually as well.

Are you saying that because in some way you don't feel threatened by Arsenal as far as the title race? Because I agree with everything you're saying but I keep wondering how I would feel if he ends up at City.

Are you saying that because in some way you don't feel threatened by Arsenal as far as the title race? Because I agree with everything you're saying but I keep wondering how I would feel if he ends up at City.

I wouldn't feel threatened by Arsenal if they signed Messi, they'd still finish fourth.

Agree, just don't lying

He could go to City, United or where ever. He'd go on good terms, Arsenal is realistic though cause they are London based.

Fans tend to suffer from short term memory loss or they just have selective memory. De Gea was in goal when United lost 6-1 to City in 2011/12 season and not to mention, he conceded 4 at MK Dons! But those lots are predictably wanking over him right now.

Is it just me or have people been reactive with their posts in the forum this past few days? You have some fellas going bonkers in the Bony thread because City signed him and now this.

Seems like some have been brainwashed into thinking all Courtois is good at is handling crosses and nothing else. To say he doesn't step up when we needed him and just go with the flow of how the team is playing is ludicrous.

Can easily pick out a few situations where he has saved us this season.

1. Denied Nugent in one-on-one against Leicester. Game was still 0-0 then and we weren't playing great.

2. Tipped Mirallas' (or was it Lukaku's?) effort against crossbar at Everton. Was 5-3 then (IIRC) and defensively, we were non-existent that day.

3. Prevented Campbell from scoring by closing down the space against Palace at 0-0.

4. Produced several saves to deny Van Persie and Di Maria at United at 1-0 and 0-0.

5. Helped to protect our lead at City by denying Aguero (before THAT fella scored)

6. Showed quick reflexes to block N'Zonzi's shot from going in at 1-0.

You said if it wasn't for Cech against Newcastle, we would have conceded at least one goal. I could easily turn around now and say if it wasn't for Courtois against this team, that team, we would have dropped more points than we have this season.

Nobody is saying Courtois can't step up.

A lot of people just feel emboldened when Cech is in goal for us. Not everyone, myself included, got to watch Thibaut's every game for Atletico, so we are still find out about his game. When Cech plays, you are secured by the knowledge of eleven years' of consistently good performances and naturally you can feel more secure. It was the same when Cech arrived, people doubted him and preferred Carlo.

But yes, people are reactive. Reactive to a - the fact Cech is playing more regularly; and b - the fact Lampard has done what he has done makes us a little more protective of our current batch of "legends".

Nobody is saying Courtois can't step up.

A lot of people just feel emboldened when Cech is in goal for us. Not everyone, myself included, got to watch Thibaut's every game for Atletico, so we are still find out about his game. When Cech plays, you are secured by the knowledge of eleven years' of consistently good performances and naturally you can feel more secure. It was the same when Cech arrived, people doubted him and preferred Carlo.

BlueLyon certainly said (or suggested) that in his previous post, saying he can see Cech step up when things get tough while Courtois goes with the flow of the team's performance. To say Courtois only plays well when the team does that is nonsensical.

I get it if people feel more secured when Cech is playing because of his years of experience but on the other hand, think people have also seen what Courtois can do and has done for us to feel safe when he's in goal.

But yes, people are reactive. Reactive to a - the fact Cech is playing more regularly; and b - the fact Lampard has done what he has done makes us a little more protective of our current batch of "legends".

You have kinda misunderstood the point about people being reactive. And Cech is only playing more regularly recently (albeit 2 matches) because of Courtois' thumb problem.

And Thibaut won another award, he was chosen as best Belgian playing abroad at the Belgian Golden boot electian yesterday, also nominated were Eden and KDB.

this award is not going by seasons but by years, if you take that into acount Eden should have won it imo

this award is not going by seasons but by years, if you take that into acount Eden should have won it imo

I think becoming champion with Athletico and playing CL final gave the advantage to Thibaut, i can live with that.

Don't know if they gave the top three, but Eden should be second.