Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

Whats the difference between De gea and this lad? De gea was considered "world class" with Atletico too and fuk me is he an average goalkeeper in the premier league. the thing with La liga is these keepers don't have long balls/crosses to handle. the premier league is the most difficult league for goalkeepers. Cech has been here for a decade and he's in his early thirties. Van der sar moved to United from Fulham when he was in his 30's and ended up retiring at 40. Schmeichel for example, was already well down hill in his later years at united.

We don't need him.

Don't you just love how people keep bringing up Van der Sar like he's somehow the norm. Cech is a guy in his thirties who has to keep wearing the helmet in your nick because he suffered a tragic injury to the head. There's absolutely no guarantee he'll keep playing until even 35. I'd be delighted for him if he could, but I don't think it's very realistic to expect it.

Don't you just love how people keep bringing up Van der Sar like he's somehow the norm. Cech is a guy in his thirties who has to keep wearing the helmet in your nick because he suffered a tragic injury to the head. There's absolutely no guarantee he'll keep playing until even 35. I'd be delighted for him if he could, but I don't think it's very realistic to expect it.

It's not just Van Der Sar who lasted a long time. Pretty much all keepers do. Seaman played at Arsenal until he was 40. Buffon is 36 and still an elite keeper. Schmeichel was still in the Premier League at 40. Oliver Khan played with Bayern until he was 73.Etc...There are very good reasons to choose Courtois to move on with, but Cech about to fall apart is not one of them.

It's not just Van Der Sar who lasted a long time. Pretty much all keepers do. Seaman played at Arsenal until he was 40. Buffon is 36 and still an elite keeper. Schmeichel was still in the Premier League at 40. Oliver Khan played with Bayern until he was 73.Etc...There are very good reasons to choose Courtois to move on with, but Cech about to fall apart is not one of them.

Seaman kinda sucked as an older keeper. He only stayed in the NT because there was no one else.

Schmeichel was already on the decline when he won the CL in 99

Buffon is 4 years from 40.

Khan was still good but stopped at 37.

Got any more? ;-)

Seaman kinda sucked as an older keeper. He only stayed in the NT because there was no one else.

Schmeichel was already on the decline when he won the CL in 99

Buffon is 4 years from 40.

Khan was still good but stopped at 37.

Got any more? ;-)

But all of those were still good for 4 or 5 years minimum after Chech's age. That's the point. You can't build football teams for 7 years down the road anymore. Things change too drastically. Look at Mata leaving. To make a move because we will be better off in 6 years is crazy. (That's not to say we should bring back to Courtois, just that this shouldn't be the reason.)

Arrogant attitude towards the club :rolleyes:

He wants to know his future, so does the Spanish press. It's not like he's badmouthing the club.

The proper answer to the questions by the Spanish media is: "I am now just focusing on my season with Athletico and achieving the club's objectives and winning the league".

He says this an awful lot, that's he is supposedly not scared of the competition. I think he's Petrified by it. :tophat:

That's terrible :lol:

That selection of keepers does raise an interesting point.

Look how long it took United to replace Schmeichel. Look at how Arsenal struggled to get an established number one after Seaman. Khan played until he was older, but it cost Bayern €22 million to replace him. Buffon has lasted a while but he's still the most expensive keeper ever.

Replacing world class keepers isn't that easy, and rarely is it that cheap. We have a chance to go from one of the world's best 4 keepers to another. That opportunity might be unique in the history of football (could spend my day researching that.....nah).