Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

Nothing to do with the game today, I wasn't watching properly.

But I despise this guy. Despise despise despise. Bar a few interviews lately where he's given typical footballer answers, he's spewed arrogance and lack of appreciation for where he is. I've never seen a player exude such entitlement, and if he truly pressed for us to let go of one of our best coaches before even proving himself, he's even more a monumental dickwad. He doesn't give a shit about the club, there's plenty of places he'd rather be. He'll never be Chels, I just know it.

56 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Logic of this place.

The young Belgium that stayed: every time he makes a mistake moan about how we shouldn't have sold Cech and sometimes even more laughably how we should drop him for Begovic.

The two young Belgium we sold: moan every time they score about how we don't stick by young players then whinge some more when one of them is linked with a return.

He cost us two points, whichever way you look at it. I don't really worry that much because he's one of our best players, but he had no real need to make that challenge. The player was really going nowhere and we had defenders coming back. He has a target on his back though from some people because he talks a lot in the press. 

Schwarzer said after the game in an interview-analysis type deal that Cech was a model pro, and a top keeper. Regarding Courtois, all he had to say was 'he didn't train as hard as Cech.'

The entitled nonce needs sold as soon as possible. I said over and over and over again that we could've got 40-50m for this loser and bought anyone we wanted once combining that with the budget we had. He's so fucking shit and it's his own fault for choosing to no longer progress after leaving Atletico, where his head is.

1 hour ago, Leif said:

Schwarzer said after the game in an interview-analysis type deal that Cech was a model pro, and a top keeper. Regarding Courtois, all he had to say was 'he didn't train as hard as Cech.'

The entitled nonce needs sold as soon as possible. I said over and over and over again that we could've got 40-50m for this loser and bought anyone we wanted once combining that with the budget we had. He's so fucking shit and it's his own fault for choosing to no longer progress after leaving Atletico, where his head is.

Maybe it's because he's young and entitled. I'm sure he will mature and will benefit from Conte, like he did at Atletico. 

He needs to let his football do the talking - but the same could be said of many of our players. 

11 hours ago, DYC. said:

He's still world-class. Just going through a rough patch. Happens to everyone,

But he is weak in situations where he has to come off his line yeah (except for saving 1-on-1 shots). Cech was the same though.

One of the best young keepers? Sure. But world class? Nah.

And this supposed rough patch has been going on for quite some time now. At some point we have to accept that some players aren't just out of form but are actually performing at their real level.

I saw their first goal as a bad decision by Azpilicueta to go across to their winger, rather than holding his position more centrally. By dashing across, he left the middle completely open. It was a fantastic ball from the winger, that was always curling away from Courtois. He had to try and win the ball, because of the position our non-existent defence put him in

I always thought Courtois becoming a starting GK instead of Cech was a mistake. Cech was only 32 back then (thats far from old for a GK, since world class GKs can play at high levels even at 40), and I was not convinced Courtois was THAT better than Cech. Cech was a club legend, and I think he was the kind of player that you put on the bench only if there is someone way better available and I dont think its the case when we compare Cech and Courtois. 

For the past 2 seasons Courtois has been making some decisions and performances that wont let you put him in the "world class" club. In the same game he can make an impossible save, and in the next minute concede a silly goal.

5 hours ago, DYC. said:

Yeah, world-class. He was brilliant in his time at Atletico and his first season for Chelsea.

It has but it happens. Cech went years not looking like himself and then got back on top. De Gea was ridiculed not too long ago (I love how he now so easily gets forgiven for a mistake). Even Buffon. I remember when people said he was past it. And it's not just goalkeepers. Drogba was frustrating for a few years for example. There's not a player around that hasn't gone through it.

Courtois is very young and has been on a constant and rapid rise since he was a teenager. I'm not surprised he's going through this. I'm confident he'll bounce back.

His time at Atletico coincided with them having an unbelievable defensive set-up. Courtois was better protected than any other goalkeeper in Europe. He was solid in the first year at Chelsea - I wouldn't say brilliant but to each their own.

But what world class keeper do you know that hardly ever makes a telling contribution? A penalty save here? A crucial stop there when we're under the cosh? He hardly ever does these things. That's what separates the good from the truly world class. He's no better than Begovic.

As for Cech, he had his head caved and in my opinion, was better than Courtois is now during those 'bad years'.

16 minutes ago, Styles said:

His time at Atletico coincided with them having an unbelievable defensive set-up. Courtois was better protected than any other goalkeeper in Europe. He was solid in the first year at Chelsea - I wouldn't say brilliant but to each their own.

But what world class keeper do you know that hardly ever makes a telling contribution? A penalty save here? A crucial stop there when we're under the cosh? He hardly ever does these things. That's what separates the good from the truly world class. He's no better than Begovic.

As for Cech, he had his head caved and in my opinion, was better than Courtois is now during those 'bad years'.

I dislike that argument so much. Cech had an amazing defence/defensive system in front of him as well (Roman's Chelsea part I). Yet praising him as the best GK in the world at the time was a popular opinion, especially among Chelsea fans of course. Buffon has played with amazing defences in front of him as well, including legendary defenders like Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro etc. He was still dubbed as one of the greatest GKs, if not the greatest, of all time. And rightfully so. Genuinely great goalkeeping is great goalkeeping, period.

He was delivering great contributions when he was in top form. I remember when he was an absolute force at coming off his line quickly to close down space and safe 1-on-1's. Also pulling amazing highlight saves from time to time. His positioning is normally so great he doesn't need those Hollywood saves though. Imperial in the air as well (a GK failing in that aspect from time to time is not uncommon). He was even stopping penalties. Seriously Styles, what's with the short memory? He wasn't flawless, had some infuriating moments, but who doesn't?

Mehh, I disagree. Even now, Cech is far from his prime. He looks quite mortal nowadays and he was worse in his off days. He's still great though, don't get me wrong.