Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

On 10/04/2016 at 10:02 PM, Weckerz said:

Based on this season. His previous 4 seasons were stellar and those claims weren't far-fetched whatsoever. In current form he's nowhere near the likes of Neuer and Buffon but let's keep some perspective =)

I agree with this, one poor season doesn't make Thibaut a bad goalkeeper - look at Cech, in 08/09 he was frankly horrendous at times (ironically he was outstanding under Scolari but dropped off under Hiddink first time around), but then in 09/10 he had what was actually, IMO, his best season for us from a technical, not statistical, point of view* and won the Golden Gloves, too.

*As a goalkeeper from a technical view, he was almost perfect for much of that season. It was the best I've seen him distribute and command his box, his shot-stopping was always excellent, but it was that year he was by far and away the best in the world without comparison.

5 minutes ago, BlueLion said:

I agree with this, one poor season doesn't make Thibaut a bad goalkeeper - look at Cech, in 08/09 he was frankly horrendous at times (ironically he was outstanding under Scolari but dropped off under Hiddink first time around), but then in 09/10 he had what was actually, IMO, his best season for us from a technical, not statistical, point of view* and won the Golden Gloves, too.

*As a goalkeeper from a technical view, he was almost perfect for much of that season. It was the best I've seen him distribute and command his box, his shot-stopping was always excellent, but it was that year he was by far and away the best in the world without comparison.

cech was fairly rubbish in 13/14 too imo.

2 minutes ago, lucio said:

cech was fairly rubbish in 13/14 too imo.

He wasn't rubbish but he made a number of high profile errors, most notably vs City at home with the Aguero goal, vs PSG with the Pastore goal, for instance. He struggled with his near post positioning, which is exactly the same boat Tbo is currently in,

1 minute ago, BlueLion said:

He wasn't rubbish but he made a number of high profile errors, most notably vs City at home with the Aguero goal, vs PSG with the Pastore goal, for instance. He struggled with his near post positioning, which is exactly the same boat Tbo is currently in,

also big blunders vs newcastle, stoke and palace. performed much better as courtois understudy the following season

How Chelsea Have Descended Into Goalkeeping Chaos In Just 12 Months

Jose Mourinho, who made many questionable decisions to release players during his second spell at Chelsea, dug his heels in. Cech, he told the club, must not be allowed to leave. But Cech was always a big-game player both on and off the pitch, and having ingratiated himself with Roman Abramovich, he managed to argue what was in effect a testimonial transfer.

It was John Terry who said that Cech was worth 15 points a season to any club, and just look at the table now, where Arsenal sit precisely that distance away from Chelsea.

In the months that followed Courtois, by his own admission, did not cover himself in glory. When the book of this season is written, perhaps 10 years hence, there will be a number of factors that point to why it went so badly wrong. Courtois’ flapping and poor commanding of the box is just one of many issues, and it is tricky to truly see from this perspective whether it is a cause or effect of all the other chaos.

Having sunk all of that time and focus into his development, he is now being strongly linked with a move away: back to Spain; back to Champions League. And, from having the best two ‘keepers in the league just 12 months ago, Chelsea now risk having neither.

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/how-chelsea-have-descended-into-goalkeeping-chaos-in-just-12-months

Its quite funny the Courtois near post thing, I just watched back all the goals we conceded while Tibo was out and Asmir conceded three goals at his near post (2nd vs Porto, Steven Davis leveler for Saints and Zarate opener for WHU), I'm only flagging this now because I haven't seen two of them goals upto now due to being in football practice while the games were on at the time (for obvious reasons I didn't watch the highlights back then).

Interesting to say the least.

26 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

Today's game is potentially Courtois last game for Chelsea. Ever.

God I hope not, as much as Begovic is a good back up, selling Courtois and making Asmire number one would make selling KDB to play Oscar look like a masterstroke.

The American Broadcasters every 5 mins kept bringing up how "Courtois didn't pledge his future to Chelsea", and once he was sent off it became "Is this the last time we see Courtois in a Chelsea shirt?". 

I hope we keep him, he is too special a talent to lose. He's been awful these final 3 months conceding near post goals like an amateur. But the defense hasn't done him any favors, and the man's only 23. 

Ironically enough, he ended his season, the same way it began.