Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

3 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

I was one of the first people to criticize Thibaut when he started making regular mistakes, and I sure as hell don't like his 'honesty' talking to the media.

BUT this whole debate will look so petty and knee-jerk when Thiabut returns to his usual world-class form next season. He's objectively one of the best young keepers in the world. There is absolutely no reason he won't get over this bad spell and come out stronger from all of this. 

Well one of two things will happen.

1. He will return to form here, and everyone making a hobby of criticising him will sheepishly avoid this thread, already seen it with Cesc and Costa.

2. He will do it at a new club, which will lead to meltdowns on his thread by the same ones that slated him, especially when the penny drops that (while decent) Begovic isn't fit to lace his boots, just like the reality dawned re Remy vs Costa as up to a few months ago some thought the Frenchman wasn't too far behind Diego, if not on par.

I think Begovic shouldn't be our permanent number 1, but he definetely deserves some games.

It's not like Courtois didn't make any mistakes and Begovic wasn't too bad when he actually played, was he?

6 minutes ago, Beigl said:

I think Begovic shouldn't be our permanent number 1, but he definetely deserves some games.

It's not like Courtois didn't make any mistakes and Begovic wasn't too bad when he actually played, was he?

Because of Tibo injury he got more than he would have got otherwise.

He didn't do too bad, how good he did depends on how you judge his run in the team, if i judge the spell as a number two filling in then he was as good as you can possibly hope from a back up.

However if I look at it as what it takes to be a number one here, then I wasn't atall convinced, to me he doesn't have that bit extra the world class or even borderline world class keepers have, even Tibo making a few mistakes has been making world class impossible saves Begovic wouldn't have got near, prime example Martial at Stamford Bridge.

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

He didn't do too bad, how good he did depends on how you judge his run in the team, if i judge the spell as a number two filling in then he was as good as you can possibly hope from a back up.

However if I look at it as what it takes to be a number one here, then I wasn't atall convinced, to me he doesn't have that bit extra the world class or even borderline world class keepers have, even Tibo making a few mistakes has been making world class impossible saves Begovic wouldn't have got near, prime example Martial at Stamford Bridge.

Right off the top of my head I remember Asmir pulling off world-class save after save in the game at City (for example, that Agüero shot in the beginning of the game where he had to go down low in a split second after Agüero had turned one of our abysmal CBs). If it wasn't for him we would have lost 7:0 or 8:0 that day. This is in no way an attempt to claim that Begovic is world-class in general but he has those games in him, too. His consistency to give you at least 7/10 performances in 90% of cases puts him near that elite tier of GKs for sure IMO.

Every top club should have a clear #1 GK and a very decent #2 replacement.

Out of all positions, the GK is the most sensitive to confidence drops. This is why a #1 GK should ALWAYS have the full support of the club & fans! There is no need in questioning him every time 'he could've done more or better'.

We have one of the best GK in the world at the moment... we might as well give him our full support. He can easily be our #1 for 10years, become a Chelsea legend & become the best GK in the world!

IMO the current situation is perfect. Tibo #1 and Asmir as a very very decent back up when needed! 

Hiddink: "I don't know what Courtois said - I haven't read it. He is under contract and I know he and his family like to be in London."

Hiddink: "It's difficult to react to what has been translated or mistranslated. I like to give a comment when I have talked to the player."

Hiddink: "I like also the opinion of the player because sometimes things can be a little miscommunicated and you get a lot of spin."

Sorry for late reply, very much to do currently.

Yeah, like you stated, it's obvious that Courtois is more talented that Begovic and hopefully he will stay with us for many years like Cech did. But I just don't like it when players can't be touched even when underperforming. Look at some our players (for example the guy in my avatar) after September 2010, when they played very bad for months and rested on their laurels but Ancelotti didn't rotate them which ended in a catastrophic season.

So I think we should give Begovic some games, so that Courtois starts to realise that he has to deliver in order to start.

5 hours ago, Beigl said:

Sorry for late reply, very much to do currently.

Yeah, like you stated, it's obvious that Courtois is more talented that Begovic and hopefully he will stay with us for many years like Cech did. But I just don't like it when players can't be touched even when underperforming. Look at some our players (for example the guy in my avatar) after September 2010, when they played very bad for months and rested on their laurels but Ancelotti didn't rotate them which ended in a catastrophic season.

So I think we should give Begovic some games, so that Courtois starts to realise that he has to deliver in order to start.

To be honest, any other time I would agree a few games out would do him good, and even tho I'm not as big on Begovic as most he is very good cover.

However, righlty or wrongly, dropping Tibo now would only likely to send him to the exit door, and given a lot of fans moan about short sighted, losing a world class keeper because we dropped him when we have nothing to play for would take short sightedness to whole new dimensions.

34 minutes ago, Tomo said:

To be honest, any other time I would agree a few games out would do him good, and even tho I'm not as big on Begovic as most he is very good cover.

However, righlty or wrongly, dropping Tibo now would only likely to send him to the exit door, and given a lot of fans moan about short sighted, losing a world class keeper because we dropped him when we have nothing to play for would take short sightedness to whole new dimensions.

In Conte we've got a man who's spent the last 6 years with the GOAT in Buffon. If he signs off on the sale of Courtois, well then good luck to the Belgian in his future endeavours. It's not like there's a shortness of talented, young, goalkeepers out there? 

I'd rather he stayed and built a dynasty worthy of replacing Cech, but if he chooses to bail then oh well. Chelsea was here before Thibaut was born, it'll be there after he leaves.

Theres no doubting the lads got skills and like many of our guys hes in a very bad place right now (for whatever reason). and I like players with character as long as what they do on the pitch is as big as their egos.

But ive been worried about Tibo's comitment to us since before he came back from loan. Yeah OK as long as the player does a good job while hes with us we should be happy with that but whether hes just a mardy git I dunno but hes always got a face like  a slapped arse! Its not just him its Eden too. I dont know any Belgians so maybe someone ese can help.Is it the country or just those 2 that dont seem to be able to show any passion? Ive only once seen eden kiss the club badge. Nitpicking maybe but I like seeing players show their love for us.

I might be a moaning git but can you imagine IF Nainngolan went to one of those two and asked their opinions of him coming to join us? Yeah right!

i jope I'm wrong but I honestly cant see either of them still with us next season unless Conte can talk them into guving him a chance. Lets just hope his English lessons are working. Hes going to need them sharpish.

33 minutes ago, RoyalBlues said:

If the new boss said on the face of Courtois on their first meeting, 'YOU STAY!!'  then moved to Hazard, 'YOU TOO, STAY!!'  before they could even say a word. It will be solved.

Whats he gonna say to Costa?

Wonder when his 1st meeing with the lads is going to be? I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that one.

I just hope Italy get knocked out early so his mind can get firmly on the job. Going to be a busy summer - lets hope so anyways.

1 hour ago, RoyalBlues said:

If the new boss said on the face of Courtois on their first meeting, 'YOU STAY!!'  then moved to Hazard, 'YOU TOO, STAY!!'  before they could even say a word. It will be solved.

He will meet them first at the euro's, a bit strange to compete against your next coach..

On 04/04/2016 at 9:04 PM, RoyalBlues said:

Who knows maybe they have met today, as rumour said Conte is in London.

Nice thinking. It's true, according to the DM at least. Antonio Conte springs surprise visit on Chelsea and will hold crunch talks with John Terry, Eden Hazard, Diego Costa and Nemanja Matic