Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

2 hours ago, Amblève. said:

Which is basically what he has been doing lately; the nutshell-kind-of-thing. A few good saves here and there only to fuck it up in the end and the worrying thing is he has been conceding goals the same way on almost ALL occasions for which he has been criticised during the past few weeks. There's simply no excuse for that.

It's always the same at the end of the day.
A striker can miss a couple of sitters and is still allowed to get away with murder when he scores one goal. The life of a goalie is different, one fragility is enough to put him under the microscope.

Now taking a look at the recent situation, Payet ran through Chelsea's midfield and was able to play a perfectly timed pass, Carroll was onside and completely alone, no defence whatsoever,
so he had all the time in the world to wrong-foot the keeper.
Make no mistake, Carroll is a proven Premier-League hitman, multiple clubs paid the big bucks for him, he knows how to score goals and in front of the goalie and being alone,
there's not much you can do to prevent him from scoring.

I know that in recent times there were occasions where Courtois should have done better, it's sometimes a similar thing happen all over again, but why so serious?! You say there is no excuse for that, okay, but what's your solution, would you bench him?
I for one don't want to take away his opportunities to learn and improve his game.
Sometimes a person especially a young one needs more time, i think we all been through such a situation in life and appreciated the patience others had with us.

That's the mentality i want to see from Guus and therefore i'm a bit disappointed that he doesn't award more chances to young guys.
We need more young guys out there who will make most certainly mistakes but that's the way they learn the fastest.
We need to be ready for next season and because there's already nothing left to play for us,
we can run some benchmarks and maybe while doing it crush Tottenham's title hopes,
that's not too bad, i think.
The flow must return, the fun, the attacking, we want more and more.
That's one of the reasons why we let go off Jose, so change the playbook, just do it, Guus, no one will to be too harsh on our prospects.

His positioning is really horrible when coming out to stop one-on-one....it is like he does not know where his goal posts are...his near post area is completely open when he came out yesterday..similarly he conceded that cavani goal..Don't know what christophe lollichon is doing...His distribution is really very poor compared to keepers like trapp,ter stegen,bravo,neuer and de gea...Thibaut still has lots of time to improve...but ATM would not mind begovic to start over him

4 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

This is how you react when a 23 year old goalkeeper makes mistakes while in other threads you want Guus to play youth.

The difference here is while Courtois may be only 23 years old, he is a lot more experienced than most of the young players out there and as Amels alluded to, he has been making the same mistakes over and over and over again. Doesn't seem to be learning from it!

7 hours ago, Amblève. said:

Young players usually ACTUALLY LEARN from their mistakes. Courtois has been doing the same shit for weeks now. The world's a lot greyer than what you imply.

He is experienced but still very young for a goalkeeper. Fans who want to see the young players play should not just expect to see mistakes but the same mistakes repeated imo, yet the best goalkeeper of his generation is on a bad form after an injury and and he is called as donkey, not a top goalkeeper, overrated etc.

8 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

This is how you react when a 23 year old goalkeeper makes mistakes while in other threads you want Guus to play youth.

I doubt people will want Guus to play the likes of RLC and Traoré if they'd be giving the ball to the opposition for no reason or consistently shooting it out wide and never be in a good position.
Most of us want Guus to play the younger guns simply because we believe they are better than the usual lazy idiotic starting XI.

Courtois is no better than Begovic.

Hell, i'd wager Blackman could defend the near post better than him at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

I doubt people will want Guus to play the likes of RLC and Traoré if they'd be giving the ball to the opposition for no reason or consistently shooting it out wide and never be in a good position.

Thibo's performance is far away from goalkeeping version of this and I am talking about the overreaction to a young player when his performance drops.

But you are right I guess, most of the fans who want Guus to play youngsters want that mainly because they think we might get better results/play better with them not because they want our young players to gain experience.

1 hour ago, 11Drogba said:

Thibo's performance is far away from goalkeeping version of this and I am talking about the overreaction to a young player when his performance drops.

But you are right I guess, most of the fans who want Guus to play youngsters want that mainly because they think we might get better results/play better with them not because they want our young players to gain experience.

Constantly conceding near post goals is one of the worst things a goalie can do. Hence that description is perfect.

15 hours ago, Kieran. said:

Calling out my pal Tom (he's actually a pal of mine so I'm not being sarcastic), do you still think Courtois isn't worrying!!!!!????

edit: btw I mean @Tomo not @Stingray :D 

My stance remains the same, it takes me a long time to give up on a aayer especially one with proven world class pedigree, said the same with Diego pre Christmas.

Although having said that I wouldn't be averse to dropping him for a few games in normal circumstances but doing that now will probably only serve to send him to the exit door.

5 hours ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

Most of us want Guus to play the younger guns simply because we believe they are better than the usual lazy idiotic starting XI.

Courtois is no better than Begovic.

Hell, i'd wager Blackman could defend the near post better than him at the moment.

On current form no, but an on form Courtois is light years ahead of Begovic. Saying Asmir is level/better than Tibo is about as accurate as saying Remy is better than Costa.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

On current form no, but an on form Courtois is light years ahead of Begovic. Saying Asmir is level/better than Tibo is about as accurate as saying Remy is better than Costa.

An inform Hazard is better than Willian, an inform Oscar is better than RLC. I dont care how good he would be if he was in form, that doesnt help us. He needs to be dropped, its as simple as that.

19 hours ago, BlueLion said:

People saying his positioning when one-on-one is poor are gravely mistaken. Thibaut's issue is a psychological issue, of knowing WHAT to do, and WHEN.

His position is excellent for the Carroll goal, but rather than being PROACTIVE and SWEEPING, ie. to come out and stay big in the archetypal "A-position"OR being REACTIVE and RESPONDING, ie. to stay on his line in the standard set position and try and make the save as per usual, he is getting caught in two minds. He is coming, then stopping, then coming, and that hesitation is ALL a striker needs to score a goal.

When you saw Cech in a 1v1 (I maintain Cech is the single best goalkeeper I have ever seen in 1v1s), he would always come out early, and throw himself at the ball. 90% of the time it worked, though sometimes he would get nutmegged when he went for the lunge (example is Quaresma against us at the Bridge in the UCL in 06/07, this happened several times to my recollection). However, the point I'm making is that Cech always had this mentality of coming out and sweeping, and if he would get beaten, it had to be a good, early finish, such as the example above. Courtois can't decide what he wants to do, and this is something he needs to work on with Lollichon. Thibaut looks like he is more comfortable doing what de Gea does, and staying on his line, closing down the angle and making the finish as difficult as usual. This is the more conservative approach and is usually more pragmatic of the two approaches. But he will learn with experience, the main issue is timing - if you go too early, a simple shift by the attacker means you expose the goal, if you go too late then the striker has time and space to decide what to do. 

I rewatched the game and especially the Carroll goal... you see him advance the first 4, 5 yards - brilliant. Then - shit. He just stops. Caught in two minds. If he carries on, Carroll probably hits the ball straight at him, or doesn't even get to the ball first. Courtois' confidence just seems a little low. Not the first time he changed his mind in that game, either. 

Not worried about him in all honesty. What I am worried about is the certain people like Oscar, Matic, Cahill and Hazard's of the team that are more decline than the UK economy.

So what is going on with his fella? Surely our defense is not near close to being rock solid and stable as it used to be, but that is why we have a "suppose to be" WC goalkeeper on goal line in the first place! I used to laugh at moments when Mignolet saved nearly impossible, and 10 minutes later conceed from an "easy-to-save" situation. But damn, Courtois is not far from the same problem! Truly unbelivable what is happening. I was always very calm when Cech was still in the blue shirt, now i know we are going to conceed every single game! Most possibly from a stupid not even the most sufisticsted playaction of the opposed team!

And sry for my english, got a bit rusty through years :-)