Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

2 hours ago, Amblève. said:

I have a dream that one day this Talkchelsea nation will stop mentioning De Gea everytime they talk about Courtois. It's becoming just as bad as Liverpool fans always mentioning us when talking about their history.

Why? It's only natural to compare him to one of the three other outstanding goalkeepers in the division (Lloris and Cech being the other two). 

26 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

People forget how good Cech was and honestly I doubt Tibo will reach his very best level, but who knows.

I agree - but, unlike Cech, who always had outstanding competition, I believe Thibaut will become the undisputed greatest GK in the world, simply because all of the major competitors for that crown are on the way out of the game - Neuer, Cech, Buffon are all in their 30s. 

1 minute ago, BlueLion said:

Why? It's only natural to compare him to one of the three other outstanding goalkeepers in the division (Lloris and Cech being the other two). 

Because it feels like an inferiority complex at this point. When the only "comparison" that is being made is talking shit about the other team's GK and putting his performances/class down because he plays a different style we're past the point of actually discussing/comparing the two.

At the moment Courtois is one my favorite players, but I still believe Mourinho did a huge mistake when he choose him over Cech as the nº1 GK. Courtois is no better than Cech. Cech is a Chelsea legend, and was still 32 years old. I mean he still had at least more 5 years at top level. GK keepm playing untill late 30s. Buffon is still a quality GK, van De Sar was playing UCL Final with 41. Schmeichel was winning UCL with united with 36 years.

Courtois can produce some impossible saves, but he is a liability at crosses and set pieces, and its clear he is that kind of player that put some subpar performance when he is under pressure.

Best goalkeeper worldwide in commanding his area. Has a sick a talent for high balls, etc. But during his long time off he couldn't catch the ball anymore at the field. So the feeling had to come back first, but I think he was thrown in the team too soon. Now he lacks confidence in that aspect. If he regains his confidence he will be Captain Area again. It doesn't help when people shout things when he drops a ball, just support him if you know he has the qualities for it.

He is still making some great saves and the goals that go in are normal unsavable balls. So overall he performs very good, no reason to bash at him when he lacks a bit of confidence. His footballing skills were never the greatest, but now they are also worse because of the same reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Against Watford and United PHE-NO-ME-NAL. But this thread is covered in a sick amount of silence. The Cech fans don't like it when his succeeder shows he's clearly the better goalkeeper. Can we support Chelsea now instead?

Just as usual everybody is screaming hallelujah for DDG and Courtois is mentioned in a footnote. While DDG only had to do normal saves and Courtois was the one who made the world class saves. But most fans here agree with that because they rather support Cech than Chelsea.

Made a couple of unreal saves, particularly the one he tipped over the bar from Martial(?) in the first half. Unlucky for him he was overshadowed by De Gea who always has his one World Class performance of the season against us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't understand all of you are criticising him today. He played a very good match. Couldn't do much about the second goal. Was in a good position but was bad luck. Without his saves the score would have been much worse.

He had a decent game, all the saves he made are saves you expect him to make. Disappointed with the second goal however, got his angles all wrong. As a GK you shouldn't really get beaten at the near post like that if you do the basics right and take the right angle to come out.