Blues won't seek Essien cover

DYC.

Blues won't seek Essien cover

Emenalo claims Chelsea can handle loss of midfielder to injury

Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo claims the club will not be looking to bring in cover for Michael Essien.

New Bluesspacer.gif manager Andre Villas-Boasspacer.gif saw his plans for the new season take a huge blow last week when Essienspacer.gif suffered knee ligament damage, ruling him out for six months.

There are serious doubts about Essien's long-term fitness given that it is the third such injury of his career, and the London club have been linked with a number of replacements for the midfield powerhouse - most notably Scott Parkerspacer.gif and Cheik Tiote.

It is understood that the clubs of those players, West Ham and Newcastle,spacer.gif have not received any official approach from Chelsea,spacer.gif but Tiote impressed last season with his combative displays and would be an obvious like-for-like replacement for Essien.

Part of Emenalo'sspacer.gif new brief is to look after scouting and he would play a role in finding a replacement for Essien if asked to do so by Villas-Boas.

The Nigerian insists that the Blues will not be affected by Essien's injury, though, and has hinted that the club will not need to bring in a replacement.

"The squad is littered with world-class players and the idea of replacing someone or not replacing someone sounds a little bit ludicrous," he told Sky Sports News.

"We have enough in the tank to get the job done. He (Essien) will be missed. Everyone knows he is an important part of Chelsea and a magnificent player in the side for the club and he still will be when he recovers but I don't think there is any panic or desperation to replace him.

"We will do just what a club of our ilk should do and find the right solution."

Experience

Villas-Boas' arrival at Stamford Bridge is considered to be a gamble by some, given that the 33-year-old has only one full season's experience in club management with Porto.

Emenalo, however, thinks that the experience of coaching and scouting under the late Sir Bobby Robsonspacer.gif and Jose Mourinhospacer.gif means he is the perfect man to lead Chelsea's title chase.

"He has shown in his relatively young managerial career that he can do the job," he said.

"I try to remind people that even though he is 33, Andre has 17 years of experience because he started so young.

"He has an incredibly large amount of knowledge about the game and we have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he is the right man for the job.

"He has already started putting his prints all over the place.

"There is a new atmosphere and dynamism within the club and a freshness that everyone is trying to feed off. We are all feeling very positive about the future.''

http://www.skysports...7035493,00.html

Media games right?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats this guys is saying ? I think VB is the one who will decide if we need a replacement or not.

Plus of course he doesnt want a new guy, because it means that the nigerian Mikel will has more chances in starting team next season.laugh.gif

Guest justin_3d

Well if Yossi, Mikel, Josh and Ramires play and don't get injured then i don't see why we should get a replacement.

Our midfield is big.

Don't know what make about this interview... Because obviously, he won't come out and tell the world "we're desperatly searching a man to replace Essien". I assume he said this just to calm down journos, and to prevent teams to inflate the price for their player. Either that or he means we won't look for another box-to-box midfielder.

Don't know what make about this interview... Because obviously, he won't come out and tell the world "we're desperatly searching a man to replace Essien". I assume he said this just to calm down journos, and to prevent teams to inflate the price for their player. Either that or he means we won't look for another box-to-box midfielder.

i reckon we have no need to replace essien. however what we need is a bit of creativity. although i honestly think our forward players need to improve on their movement too. you could place a xavi in our midfield las season and he will be shit. i believe this had alot to do with the misplaced passes last season. ramires could replace essien but for alot his speed and hussle, he seriously needs to improve on his ball control abit more composure and his passing and learning to tackle well wont kill him either. mikel needs to improve offensively, his touch and passing is good but he seems reluctant to take on players. lampard needs to find the sharpness in his passing.....he isnt as mobile so...will have to rely on passing now. i reckon benayoun should be the most forward of our midfielders sort of like ineista at barca.

You would expect him to say that. If he said we were desperate then any listening chairman would add an extra few million to their transfer demands.

Essien will be replaced because let's face it his career as a top level footballer is more or less over. Three serious knee injuries in 3 years is no joke. He looked half the player he use to be and will continue to deteriorate with every new set-back.

We are looking and we will get new cover, you can be sure of that.

You would expect him to say that. If he said we were desperate then any listening chairman would add an extra few million to their transfer demands.

Essien will be replaced because let's face it his career as a top level footballer is more or less over. Three serious knee injuries in 3 years is no joke. He looked half the player he use to be and will continue to deteriorate with every new set-back.

:goodpost: Damn you should post more often. saying it as it is with no sentimental bullshit.

I don't mind if we enter the market this season for a new defensive mid, but the priority should always be for a creative attacking mid and a winger...

As for Essien, I'll say what I posted earlier...It'll truly be a brave decision if he decides to continue playing at the top level..

I don't mind if we enter the market this season for a new defensive mid, but the priority should always be for a creative attacking mid and a winger...

As for Essien, I'll say what I posted earlier...It'll truly be a brave decision if he decides to continue playing at the top level..

:goodpost: :goodpost: add a right back to that list as well.

Guest justin_3d

I thought Ramires was the Essien replacement?

I really don't see a need to replace Essien.

We still need a creative mid and winger.

And also maybe a RB.

We have enough class players to replace Essien as it it. There is Ramires, Mikel and personally i think David could play there as well. He loves to get forward when needed and is always leaving the hole at the back when he does so i don't see why he cannot be given the chance to play there if we have a fit Alex and JT!!

Media games right?

Could be media games, could be that we're not looking for a player in Essien's mold. Can't imagine (OK actually I can) the club not looking for midfielders when we have 4 pure midfielders for 3 midfield positions.

Could be media games, could be that we're not looking for a player in Essien's mold. Can't imagine (OK actually I can) the club not looking for midfielders when we have 4 pure midfielders for 3 midfield positions.

That's what I'm (slightly) worried about.