With Essien out, you think Mikel will flourish?

Guest justin_3d

WTF? Why is it that Mikel can only be world class or awful? He's pretty good, and that's that.

kept quite at this topic for a while but...

the problem is pretty simple... its that ppl don't understand the role of mikel and even if they do, they try to make him look bad...

No other midfielder of ours can match his defensive abilitys...

Ess haven't the half of Mikels shielding, Intercepting and passing abilitys

without Mikel, our fullbacks wouldn't bomb forward

without Mikel there would be no defensive midfielder at all (just watch us play 4-4-2 with ramy against Manure)

maybe technically our most gifted midfielder...

Mikel has skills that the others dont have

but the other way round the others have skills mikel don't has... but thats why footbal isn't a one man Show, its a Team-Sport, so everyone in the team can fetch up the difficultys the other has...

so many pathetic footballfans out there who just try to talk in a bad way about somebody they don't like so they ask for failures, which in that position are none...

mikel had more forwardpasses till his injury than FABREGAS, MODRIC, NASRI, ANDERSON, SONG etc... e. g. more then ALL offensive minded midfielders in the LEAGUE and more then any other defensive midfielders, despite this fact they still clame he always passes sideways...

he had most successfull passes as a DM and still his passing is wastefull, according to optastats the most successfull then anybody...

he made the most interceptions for our team...

shilded the ball sublimely against 2 or 3 sometimes 4 players...

oh Ok I see, he dosen't score a hat-trick every game he plays in, so he is a WASTE OF SPACE... get rid of him... I mean what is a defensive midfielder supposed to do? right score goals...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justin_3d

the problem is pretty simple... its that ppl don't understand the role of mikel and even if they do, they try to make him look bad...

without Mikel there would be no defensive midfielder at all (just watch us play 4-4-2 with ramy against Manure)

but the other way round the others have skills mikel don't has... but thats why footbal isn't a one man Show, its a Team-Sport, so everyone in the team can fetch up the difficultys the other has...

so many pathetic footballfans out there who just try to talk in a bad way about somebody they don't like so they ask for failures, which in that position are none...

mikel had more forwardpasses till his injury than FABREGAS, MODRIC, NASRI, ANDERSON, SONG etc... e. g. more then ALL offensive minded midfielders in the LEAGUE and more then any other defensive midfielders, despite this fact they still clame he always passes sideways...

he had most successfull passes as a DM and still his passing is wastefull, according to optastats the most successfull then anybody...

oh Ok I see, he dosen't score a hat-trick every game he plays in, so he is a WASTE OF SPACE... get rid of him... I mean what is a defensive midfielder supposed to do? right score goals...

:goodpost:

Well, whether he threats the opposite team or not isn't a matter in itself. Actually, we have to look what goes around him to determine whether he does provide enough threat or not. Indeed, if you take a look at how the squad's, and more precisely the players', movements of last season, you could see that Ashley Cole (and Bosingwa when playing) played very high on the pitch ; Lampard and Essien were bombing forward but were quite slow to come back to defend ; Malouda wasn't really willing to provide a work rate. So, that means a lot of players were already providing a threat to the opposit team, thus our defensive line was to defend on his own.

So, perhaps Mikel wasn't providing enough threat but, he was a back up for all those people who were going forward. In another words, the threat he didn't provided was made by other players (in particulary Cole).

Then the reason - in my opinion - he wasn't going forward and wasn't involved in the attack was because he had to defend. I also believe it was an order from Ancelotti.

That's his job to do that (giving licence to others to attack) & I've already said that I'm not singling out Mikel alone as we had near a whole squad barring a few that under performed. You may be right in that ancelotti gave him those instructions but we will never know, however it doesn't stop him distributing the ball quicker or making a defence splitting ball more regularly - he can do it, I'm saying he doesn't do it enough. Makelele, Essien before his spate of injuries & Ballack were better than him in that role, its just my opinion that's all, I just think Mikel has to improve on what he has done for us thus far.

I couldn't have articulated this any better. great post. Mikel just can't win with some fans. . . I just can't help but shake my head in disgust whenever people criticisie a DM for not scoring goals and creating multiple assists. next they would criticize Petr Cech for not taking free kicks and corners.

That's his job to do that (giving licence to others to attack) & I've already said that I'm not singling out Mikel alone as we had near a whole squad barring a few that under performed. You may be right in that ancelotti gave him those instructions but we will never know, however it doesn't stop him distributing the ball quicker or making a defence splitting ball more regularly - he can do it, I'm saying he doesn't do it enough. Makelele, Essien before his spate of injuries & Ballack were better than him in that role, its just my opinion that's all, I just think Mikel has to improve on what he has done for us thus far.

This.

The problem is that many fans try to see positive things everywhere. Mikel has a lot of limitations, but his lovers keep saying: You dont understand his role.

Mikel does not have a special role that gives the team a balance. He has limitations, thats why he is pragmatic, defensive and only try to mark and disarm. He wont try anything special because he cant do it.

Mikel is not awful as footballer, but he awful for a club that aims to rule the world. We need a guy like Makelele or old-Essien. Mikel is the kind of player You always expect a terrible mistake in a crucial moment of the game. I will never forget those stupid mistakes against City in 2009/10 season, we almost lost the PL because of those silly mistakes.

He also gives the ball so easily under pressure, and its really difficult to see him giving a good long pass, and that is crucial in modern game: a DM that make good long passes.

When the team is atacking he is poor. Not because he did not score, Makelele also scored only one goal, but because he is not kick enough and he often made the wrong decisions.

For me Mikel and Kalou are in the same boat. Players that will never "flourish", and its unbeliveable that they are still here after all those years.

He is not the kind of character a winning CL side has.

mikel had more forwardpasses till his injury than FABREGAS, MODRIC, NASRI, ANDERSON, SONG etc... e. g. more then ALL offensive minded midfielders in the LEAGUE and more then any other defensive midfielders, despite this fact thoey still clame he always passes sideways...

he had most successfull passes as a DM and still his passing is wastefull, ac

cording to optastats the most successfull then anybody...

Yes I wondered when you would come on with you're stats, I havnt forgotten you or the other 2 that havnt yet participated! If stats were so important then why was he getting dropped in favour of an out of form Essien? I'm fully aware of his position & what it entails - more than you realise.

I'm a bit weired about ppl talking about mikel like he was shit but at the same breath demand a transfer of a 45 million euro tool which isn't even proved to european football... strange...

@godzola...

just do you're research... and read the links ppl post to you... thats you're problem you dont read the links and watch what ppl show to you... its what I've written in my post already...

Some on here think Henrique's arrogant, has that M.o.M title gone to you're head?!

You questioned my footballing knowledge so I being 'ONE' of those people that happened to challenge that because my perception differs from yours & you then you tell me that I shouldn't 'flatter myself'??? I am not the only one that thinks differently & wouldn't be so arrogant to think so, just because others have a different view or perceive things differently to you, it doesn't give you the right to question their knowledge & then throw in an arrogant comment to boot.

I suggest you get you're facts correct in future before posting, Ballack played 49 times that season as opposed to Mikel's 34, he stepped in the DM position when Mikel got injured, this is when we started playing some great stuff because Ballack moved the ball quicker, he can see a pass & can kick the ball forward more than 10 yards!

Now I have courage to stand by my convictions, I wonder if you & the Mikel lovers will come on & eat some humble pie if he continues his poor form under AVB? The facts are he has had 5 seasons to produce, yet we are still waiting, he now has a manager that will give him the tools to do the job he wants so now there are no more hiding places - he has to deliver & if he does I will come on here & say I was wrong. However up until now he has not shown me/others anything to suggest otherwise.

Please...

Their starts are irrelevant. Mikel was our first choice holding midfielder until his injury. Ballack played that role for ~2 months, not near enough to discredit what Mikel did from from the start of that season..

Since you say that he hasn't produced in any pf his 5 seasons at Chelsea I stand by my original post.

[...]the problem is pretty simple... its that ppl don't understand the role of mikel [...]

Exactly. Hence my post about general football knowledge.

He also gives the ball so easily under pressure

Won't start an arguement with you, believe we both know why.

However I have to point out that's absolute bollocks. Have to wonder if you really meant it or just wrote it to support your case.

but only for you

september 2011

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-517321.0.html

october 2010

Another top rating has emerged in favour of John Mikel Obi (The Catalyst), as the youngster’s crisp passes with Chelsea of England have shot him well ahead of some of the English Premier League’s best midfielder’s in terms of knocking the ball round during key matches.

Although many Nigerians often disparage what they call short and escapist passes from the former Lyn Oslo of Norway star, latest data from England put him ahead of Michael Essien, Steven Gerrard and other top rated stars in terms of keeping possession for his team.

The report from England states further that Mikel is proving himself the best passer of the ball in England, which also puts him ahead of Arsanal’s Cesc Fabregas and Aleixandre Song as well as Manchester United’s Paul Scholes.

According to the Opta statistics, Mikel has delivered more successful passes than all others in the EPL, with 587 points tagged to his name, while Essien has 565, Scholes 537, Song 462 and Gerrard 434.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8130025/John-Obi-Mikel-reborn-as-Chelseas-undisputed-pass-master.html

the chels on him april 2011

http://thechels.net/2011/04/john-obi-mikel-balancing-the-chelsea-midfield/

zonalmarking february 2010

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/02/08/when-will-john-obi-mikel-get-the-credit-he-deserves/

I couldn't have articulated this any better. great post. Mikel just can't win with some fans. . . I just can't help but shake my head in disgust whenever people criticisie a DM for not scoring goals and creating multiple assists. next they would criticize Petr Cech for not taking free kicks and corners.

Cech will probably score a prem goal before Mikel does - some of us have the capacity to be sarcastic too! But some of us can put to a decent argument without it & can take the blinkered Mikel glasses off to see things differently.

Cech will probably score a prem goal before Mikel does - some of us have the capacity to be sarcastic too! But some of us can put to a decent argument without it & can take the blinkered Mikel glasses off to see things differently.

Why judge a DM based on his goal scoring ability when that is not one of his primary and direct responsibilities? it's equivalent to criticizing Torres or Drogba for not breaking up play,making enough tackles and giving the back four sufficient defensive cover when their job is to actually score goals. Makalele is regarded as one of the best defensive midfielders despite scoring only two goals for Chelsea, why is that?

Won't start an arguement with you, believe we both know why.

However I have to point out that's absolute bollocks. Have to wonder if you really meant it or just wrote it to support your case.

you should know Henriques by now .. takes pride in being controversial but really is just a WUM tosser

You can count on godzola to come back with "stats are overrated and doesn't always paint an accurate picture"