With Essien out, you think Mikel will flourish?

Guest justin_3d

Mikel has been playing on the first team consistently since the days of The Special One. At this point, I think he is what he is. Should he be a starter? That's debatable, but I doubt he makes any more significant leaps.

Well you may doubt it, but i don't. He's 24 years he can still get better, same for Messi, and no i'm definitely not comparing those two just so you know. I think he still has developement, but i don't think he's Essiens replacement for the season that's why i think we need a new player.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but all you said in this thread is absolute bollocks and more bollocks.

All you said is "Mikel is a good player and if you think otherwise you posses no football knowledge".

So do pretend you are the guy with good ideas here.

Won't start an arguement with you, believe we both know why.

Now the whole forum probably knows why.

Again with you I was discussing that particular point you brought up. A point which you could only have made if you didn't watch any of Chelsea's games or if you were just desperate to bring more arguments to the table. Since I'm sure the former isn't true I'm inclined to believe you're either bluffing or WUMing.

so its what i said, you dont read ANYTHING, and you dont WATCH anythin (no highlits of games noth'n), you're not interested in any critics who said Mikel has come forward leaps and bounds, BUT you KNOW everything... intresting... please could you tell me the lotterie numbers for this weekend? heared a lad has won 185 Mio Euros, was this probably you?

sry god zola, dont has anything against you and always rated you but you have not ANY I will repeat ANY argument despite you don't LIKE Mikel... and if you don't like him but he is a WORLD CLASS Midfielder if you like it or not than just leave it as it stands...

don't know why you're on a forum if you cant discuss... and you cant rethink (or maybe THINK at all) you're opinion? I don't like Iniesta or Rooney, but can admit ANY DAY they're wonderfull footballer... so what?

just think about it

Clevemayer, I have read the stats before but there not going to change my mind about him. I said the boy has ability but I question whether he can move up to the next level, that's all I'm saying in a nutshell. When I discussed this before it was on the 'is our midfield good enough thread' I listened to pat Nevin & Steve Claridge who were questioning him In the same content as me, fair comment to the other critics who think differently,

I've already said many times were I stand with it & am more than prepared to leave it there. This thread from you is a little more compromising but you then let it down by the sarcasm? What I've stated is just my opinion it doesn't mean I'm correct by any means, its just how I've perceived his performances thus far, that is all.

If I don't agree with something then I will speak my mind, unfortunately its in my nature so in that sense I don't think I will adere myself to the majority but I still have the quality to apologize if I am wrong, so if I have upset you then I'm sorry my intentions are not that at all.

I think he still has developement, but i don't think he's Essiens replacement for the season that's why i think we need a new player.

No, Mikel cannot and will not be a replacement for Essien. But can he cover for him? Absolutely, though I will agree that there's scope for improvement.

Some people here have mentioned that he flops during a big game. He does make mistakes, say for example when he failed to close down Sneijder in the 2nd leg of UCL in2010 in a move that led to goal. But in the leg before that at San Siro, Mikel was performing an A-game and Sneijder was nowhere in sight. Thus in Mikel's case, its not incapability but inconsistency that's a problem...

Can Chelsea do better than Mikel? Maybe. But there aren't too many options out there, and considering the kind of crap that passes for a holding mid in other teams, I'd say we're lucky to have him...

Clevemayer, I have read the stats before but there not going to change my mind about him. I said the boy has ability but I question whether he can move up to the next level, that's all I'm saying in a nutshell. When I discussed this before it was on the 'is our midfield good enough thread' I listened to pat Nevin & Steve Claridge who were questioning him In the same content as me, fair comment to the other critics who think differently,

I've already said many times were I stand with it & am more than prepared to leave it there. This thread from you is a little more compromising but you then let it down by the sarcasm? What I've stated is just my opinion it doesn't mean I'm correct by any means, its just how I've perceived his performances thus far, that is all.

If I don't agree with something then I will speak my mind, unfortunately its in my nature so in that sense I don't think I will adere myself to the majority but I still have the quality to apologize if I am wrong, so if I have upset you then I'm sorry my intentions are not that at all.

No you didn't offend me, but there are so many obvious wrong things you're talking about Mikel, that if you even would've considered to read this Reports about him, you wouldn't have made them...

Passing

Interceptions

sideway passing

slowing game down

no throughballs

Whereas in the past he seemed to abdicate as much responsibility as possible to more assertive team-mates, this season Mikel has emerged as the chief conduit of Chelsea's play. He averages more successful passes per game (73.1) than any other player in the Premier League – and the percentage of his distribution that has been directed forward (38%) has more than doubled since last season. In fact, his rate of sideways passes this term (55.8%) is significantly less than those of celebrated schemers such as Rafael van der Vaart (63.9%), Samir Nasri (65.4%) and Ryan Giggs (69.2%).

just tell us you don't like him, but dont say he is an awfull player or not worth playing at Chelsea, Mikel is 24 and I'm absolutly sure, and I would take my hand off for this, if Micky was at Barca and wasn't injured or hated by they're trainer, they would be something of a PERFECT Midfield trio with Him, Xavi and Iniesta...

And I absolutly LOVED Makalele, he was an awesome Player but you talk of him as he was a better passer than Mikel what he wasn't plus you just act like Maka was a legendary playmaker who gave assists like jellybeans but in fact:

in 5CL Seasons he gave 3 Assists

in 5 FA-Cup and CC-Cup Seasons NONE Assists

in 5 EPL Seasons ONE Assist

and I watched Maka for Chelsea he was sublime and perfekt for his position... but I can't see too much differences between him and Mikel despite, his Passing was worse, but his expirience was far better, whereas I see no reason why Mikels Expirience shouldn't raise...

The people who are criticising our players should leave d support of our club................if d players wouldnt have been tht good den dey would have never played for us..............so please stop crticising players like mikel, kalou etc........dey hv done really good things for d club.................according to me all the chelsea players are very good thts y dey r here at d bridge.................

Essien was so crucial to everything we did last season :(

That is a lie.

Mikel already flourished for me so I'm just looking forward to more games with him in the starting XI next season. Doesn't seem like a choice needs to be made about that...

The people who are criticising our players should leave d support of our club................if d players wouldnt have been tht good den dey would have never played for us..............so please stop crticising players like mikel, kalou etc........dey hv done really good things for d club.................according to me all the chelsea players are very good thts y dey r here at d bridge.................

well said

Mikel is absolutely a superb SUB but he shouldn't be in our starting 11.

I think mikel's biggest weakness is that he is too static and doesn't posses any kind of drive or pace needed in midfield , and even though his passing is good but his distribution isn't , also he needs too much time on the ball .

His positioning in offense is great as he is very committed but in Defense it's very questionable .

IMO Essien is a very good DM and Mikel should be his SUB. and since essien is injured i think we can cope for 6 months or more with mikel as a DM but if Essien wasn't able to get back to his former self after this injury then we need a new DM because as good as mikel as but he can't be our only DM , he is not that reliable .

Can you please leave the text speak for facebook. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

I'm a Mikel admirer and I've documented my views re him in numerous threads in the past. His abilities or limitations (depending on which side you're on) have been stated already in this thread so no point in repeating those. In any case, the thread isn't about what Mikel can or cannot do, it's about what impact ME5's injury will have on Mikel's squad position.

First things first, Mikel and Essien are poles apart as far as team role and responsibilities go. One isn't like the other, so there's no competition that way, unless Essien is played as a DM (like Carlo did at times last year, something I didn't take well to, incidentally). Ramires is our Essien replacement. (The Essien of 05-06, that is).

To me, it's clear that if AVB chooses his favoured 4-3-3/4-5-1 and it features his trusted B2B + DM + CM variables, the DM should be Mikel, regardless of Essien's availability. The real question is, with Ramires and Mikel in the side, will Essien flourish?

I read that AVB wants to instill a fearless, inhibition less style of play. Does that include Mikel as well? If yes, I can't see it doing much other than confusing the lad and cluttering his mind with a mixture of stuff that he's been told to do previously and the stuff AVB might wish to make him attempt. His natural role has already been altered once and now that he's been settled in this position for a few years, asking him to reprise some of his lost abilities wouldn't be a great idea, imo.