With Essien out, you think Mikel will flourish?

Guest justin_3d

Guest justin_3d

Last season he did good till half way of the season when the team started doing bad and got injured.

Mikel has already being talking about AVB as well:

'We have a game on Tuesday against Wycombe, and it will be nice to be in a match situation,' said the Nigerian, who spent the end of last season on the bench. 'Hopefully we do well in our first game under the new manager. We know it is a practice game but everyone has to work hard because we know it is important to show what we can do.

'Training sessions have been going well; everyone is in a good mood. We're obviously all just back from our holidays but people are feeling fit and seem happy with the training and the systems we have here so now we have to transfer it into a game.

'The new manager has worked really hard on our sharpness and it is going very well. There has been lots of ball work and not so much running, which is really good. You get used to the ball again quickly and you feel fitter quickly.

'The double sessions are hard but working with the ball makes it so much easier than running all the time, and it is enjoyable as well.'

'The other coaches are also playing their part in supporting the manager and adding their own ideas,' he said. 'Everything so far has been great, we're all enjoying their training and everything is going well so hopefully we can have a good season and for me it will be good to pick up information because I still want to improve.'

'Unfortunately Michael Essien has been injured, and we all feel sorry for him and wish him well and hopefully he can come back very soon,' Mikel said.

For me I say give the lad a chance. If AVB is all the hype we all hear, then he will help bring the best out of Mikel, like he did with some players at Porto.

P.S. Notice how Mikel is hinting about the practice of the ball then running all the time.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikel has matured in a big way. There was about a two year period where I swear he picked up a yellow card every time I watched him play. He's cut down on that and dug himself into an important role in midfield. I'd be surprised if he didn't feature in AVB's plans.

Guest justin_3d

Mikel is Defensive midfielder while Essien is Box to Box. Not sure what's the comparison is all about

Essien was use as a DM, while Mikel is also use as a DM.

Having both Essien and Mikel in the field was very negative.

So now that Essien is injured, Mikel will be the first choice for DM, unless there is a new buy.

Essien was use as a DM, while Mikel is also use as a DM.

Having both Essien and Mikel in the field was very negative.

So now that Essien is injured, Mikel will be the first choice for DM, unless there is a new buy.

Essien is predominantly a box to box player. Mikel has always been our first choice DM. When Mikel got injured and loss form Essien took up the DM role while Ramirez took up the box to box and flourished.

it's no coincidence that the team looks to play better, work together more, and create more opportunities when mikel is playing. people underrate his impact too much because it isn't tangible in the form of goals or assists as many people rate midfielders. His impact is far less subtle - he gives our fullbacks space to run, Luiz to come out and play a bit from central defence, Lampard a greater authority in the final third and controls and dictates play in the middle of the park with his breaking down of the game and his accurate passing. For me, he is a neccessary for Chelsea's success.

Guest justin_3d

Essien is predominantly a box to box player. Mikel has always been our first choice DM. When Mikel got injured and loss form Essien took up the DM role while Ramirez took up the box to box and flourished.

Yeah but in the past few years, Chelsea did not really use Mikel and Essien at the same time. It is too negative.

So it was either Essien as DM or Mikel as DM.

Essien is out, only leaving Mikel as DM.

And BTW Mikel was never a DM. When Mourinho bought him, he made him play that role. Mikel was one of the best youth in the tournament after Messi when Chelsea wanted him.

Mikel is brilliant,he is just way too underrated.For his age he is one of the finest defensive midfielders in the League.He did so well last season but was instantly replaced by Essien when he recovered which was not really fair on him.I doubt he will be leaving this season with Essien out for 6 months and letting him go would be a shame since he is more than capable to play in Chelsea or any other club playing on top level.

Mikel's first goal will be cheered more than Torres' :Goober:

as for the actual topic: Yes I do. It remains to be seen what system we play in midfield. Mikel is a very good defensive midfielder, we all know his interception and composure are his best attributes. That being said, we need him to push forward a bit more with our current midfield. While we have Ramires, who never tires and works very hard, he lacks the technical play to play pinpoint pass through to the strikers. If we can find a player to take the ball of Mikel and do something with it, it would be ideal. As Ballack & Lampard used to. Perhaps Lampard will be that player again, with age restricting his energy, perhaps we'll see him sit deep more.

I regard Mikel very highly. He's still very young, but has all the attributes to be a great successor to the Essien-bumped-Makelele role. With the right coaching, adding an attacking instinct to his play, he'll be as effective as the latter.

Guest justin_3d

Remember the Nigerians saying how we destroyed Mikel. Maybe AVB will allow him to become more of a complete player

I think they where right.

Mourinho made him into a DM when he was a creative force.

Lets hope for Mikel sake, and lets hope AVB is all the hype we believe that he can bring the best in our players.

P.S. Notice how Mikel is hinting about the practice of the ball then running all the time.

That sort of practice has been carried out at Cobham for quite a while now, even before AVB came along...

About Mikel,

I'm looking forward to see him this season. He was fantastic when last season began, as he started playing more forward passes.

Also note that he tends to play well in a slightly advanced position (even though as a defensive mid) or higher up the pitch...With AVB's purported attacking tactics, its highly possible we will seem play in such a role.

I don't think Essien's presence or absence will affect Mikel much, as they both bring something different to the game...For me the only reason a coach would drop Mikel for another DM would be to inject pace into the game....The number of mistakes he makes in a game has been drastically reduced over the last couple of years as well...His acquired experience is no doubt helping in this regard...