Marko Marin

Melanicus

Great signing, we really need someone with the confidence to run at defenders with the ball at their feet. Not attempt a stepover and fall over like Kalou, and not run into the defender like Torres.

We really have nothing to lose with this signing. 6 million is peanuts these days. Even if it doesn't work out, we can sell him 18-24 months later and get back at least that amount or maybe even more.

Welcome Marko!

Either flank, though he prefers the left as it lets him cut inside on his preferred foot.

i don't think he's the last winger we'll sign and i guess it spells the end of his chelsea days for salomon kalou :noexpression:

I really don't know why people are 'dissapointed' and feel like he may fail at Chelsea. I'm fully expecting Marin to be a very good player at Chelsea. He is better than all our options on the wing. I expect an Ozil like transformation of Marin. He cost just 8 Million, so no matter what that was a Bargain.

i don't think he's the last winger we'll sign and i guess it spells the end of his chelsea days for salomon kalou :noexpression:

Look, the fact that there are good clubs interested in Kalou makes me think it will be a huge mistake to let him go for free. Well to be fair, I think letting him go before retirement at the ripe old age of 45 is in itself a huge mistake :Goober:

More seriously, a player like Kalou who gets back and defends, and is somewhat consistent in his performances at a solid 6-7/10, is always preferable for me over someone who has periodical flashes of brilliance (e.g. Marin, Sturridge) but then disappears for months at a time. Marin won't be useful when we play away CL ties where the important thing is keeping a clean sheet, and without Kalouda we won't have anyone capable of performing a shut down job. Attacking fullbacks are one of the most important facets of modern football, and to counter them we need defensive wingers.

Look, the fact that there are good clubs interested in Kalou makes me think it will be a huge mistake to let him go for free. Well to be fair, I think letting him go before retirement at the ripe old age of 45 is in itself a huge mistake :Goober:

More seriously, a player like Kalou who gets back and defends, and is somewhat consistent in his performances at a solid 6-7/10, is always preferable for me over someone who has periodical flashes of brilliance (e.g. Marin, Sturridge) but then disappears for months at a time. Marin won't be useful when we play away CL ties where the important thing is keeping a clean sheet, and without Kalouda we won't have anyone capable of performing a shut down job. Attacking fullbacks are one of the most important facets of modern football, and to counter them we need defensive wingers.

Ramires is the best at doing that and i never really got the idea of playing Kalou or Malouda just because of their defensive work , if u need to play a winger who will only defend then you can deploy the likes of Essien , Miereles there and believe me they will be better defensively and just as good as Kalouda offensively .

Marko Marin for 6.5 millions is a great piece of business , specially coming from the chelsea board !! he is better than all of our wingers but that doesn't mean he should be a starter next year .

How did a topic about a new confirmed signing turn into transfer muppet paradise? :banghead:

Like most of us I haven't seen enough of him to have an informed opinion but I'm delighted that we finally signed a winger who isn't in the useless 17-20 age group.

Finally a smart move by the club. Who do you think Marin signing is? Di Matteo's, Emenalo's, Roman's?

Doubt Abramovich would be bothered by a 6m transfer fee and there's absolutely no chance DiMatteo has a say such deals. Since Emenalo is the current head of our scouts he is bound to have done the most work of the 3. However as with all players that are signed to help the squad (=not the image of our academy) this is mostly a group call.

It's positive that we weren't even being linked afaik.. this was a total surprise. Class negotiating. More signatures should be captured mid-season when there is no focus on transfers.

It's the journos that are not focussing on transfers since the football season gives them enough to write about. The clubs are constantly busy with working on transfers and scouting players.

My bad. I just checked his stats and you're right (though it's 3 of the last 4 seasons). It was just in the matches I saw of him in the past years he looked threatning but didn't score or assisted much.

His statistics aren't bad at all, good news.

Assists can be misleading in any case, it all depends upon the finishing.

Nice to see some German blood in our side. Welcome to Chelsea Marko!

He is German but he hasn't any German blood. He is in fact from Bosnia & Herzegovina, hence the reason BosnianLion really loves this signing! Much like how Lucas Podolski is German but his family is Polish.

But it is just semantics.

fair enough. i am still 50-50 on kalou being here next season. if we have an overhaul, i dont think he will be here

Not true. First get another winger and midfielder. And RB. Than give chance to Torres and Danny. If they wont start scoring, sell Torres in winter and buy new striker.

Right now our priority is Winger (Hulk) and Midfielder (Moutinho). And surely, we need Azpi.

No more money left for striker!

If we buy striker, we wont have proper midfield, people! What part you dont get?

I dont realise why you want striker ahead of creative midfield (winger+cm)?

So basically you're suggesting we take a gamble on Torres and Sturridge for the first half of next season at the very least?! I'm sorry, that just ain't gonna work. IF we are to challenge at the very top again, we need to have a proper striker in the team - clinical & a team player. Stick with Torres & Sturridge for next season and I'm afraid we'll be challenging for the Top 4 again, not for the title.

Also, you made it sound so easy to sell Torres and buy a new striker in the winter transfer window! Which club out there with a proper ambition of their own would sell their striker half way through season when they are trying to achieve their own targets? Even IF they do want to sell, that club would surely inflate the striker's price and it would be heck a lot costlier than the price during the summer transfer window. Furthermore, no clubs out there would want to take a gamble and purchase Torres in the January transfer window if he isn't firing at all!

In addition, the way you're saying about how we won't have any money left to buy a striker is as if we're gonna spend 20-30+ million for all our next purchases. Who's to say the club won't surprise us with more cheap bargain & good signing like Marin? Newcastle managed to get Cabaye, Cisse & Ben Arfa all for less than 10 million each! We'll also may be looking to sell 2-3 players in the summer which means there would be additional funds from there to add into the transfer budget for the next manager.