Chelsea B in other league?

The bottom line is unless SOMETHING is done, something substantial, for players in the 18 to 21 age bracket then the national team will never improve. This is the biggest reason why English youngsters never reach their full potential. Do you think that when Spain lifted the World Cup the fans were concerned about the effect B teams has on their league.

At the end of the day we need to do something to help the development of young english players. Too many are dropping at this hurdle when they shouldn't be, our players can achieve so much more with the right development.

In that article the accusation is that Mangers don't utilize the reserve league properly. That is the most rubbish i have heard on this subject, the reserve set up is awful for the development of young players, awful, this needs to be addressed properly, that is a fact.

I do agree with you here. however, you can't expect each and every young talented players in the 18-21 age bracket to turn into great international players. the thing is most of players from the U21 and under national teams fail to make it to that level.

I know that, for that matter, France has been regarded as an example by the FA. Just look at the attempt to "copy" the Clairefontaine training and developement facility. But then again, even in France many of those U21 internationals just vanish later on when they have to take that last yet huge step.

I'm not sure about that B squad thing and to be honest It's out of humility (I don't know enough) that I won't take any stance. My point is just that the developement of young players is not an exact science. Some great players just came out of nowhere to reach world class levels in the later stages of their careers. Just think of Ribery or Drogba, I know there are many others.

So to sum up my point, Of course any national football association should do everything to improve the developement of their young players but we can't expect miracles.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I too was thinking about the possibility to buy another club. Though I'd rather an english one, and a club based in London would be best because our loanees would be really near of us. for instance, a team like Leyton Orient, Wimbledon or Charlton.

whats the point for playing a level lower?

Granda is playing the top league in spanish football. if we do want to look for a feeder club, then it should be a club playing in the top level so that our youngsters can be tested.

mata never played in EPL, but guess that? he came in and played well...

The idea is good. But like some mention you gotta respect the small clubs. So make the same rules like in Germany where

3 rd liga is the highest rank B team can reach, and they start at the buttom leagues of couse. But they can play DFB pokal

( like FA or Carling cup). Bayern Munchen A team once meat B team in the DFB pokal!. This will give some great boost instead

of reserve team matches with all due respect.

The idea is good. But like some mention you gotta respect the small clubs. So make the same rules like in Germany where

3 rd liga is the highest rank B team can reach, and they start at the buttom leagues of couse. But they can play DFB pokal

( like FA or Carling cup). Bayern Munchen A team once meat B team in the DFB pokal!. This will give some great boost instead

of reserve team matches with all due respect.

That's like cheating.

• 2 months later...

I've been thinking about this, and maybe they could expand the lower divisions to include some reserves teams? For example, they could (eventually) add something like 10 reserves teams to the Championship League so there would be 30 professional teams + 10 reserves teams = 40 teams in total (These numbers can be adjusted). Then they could divide the league into two divisions, each with 15 professional teams and 5 reserves (20 total like PL). Each division will operate like a regular league except that there will be two subdivisions -- one with the professional teams (A) and the other with the reserves (B). Teams in different subdivisions will still play one another, but when it comes to league standings and promotion/relegation, they will be treated differently. This will make sure that there will always be 15 professional teams and 5 reserves in the Championship (Again, the numbers can change). I think this would probably be the best way to integrate reserves into lower divisions without affecting teams already there too much, but I can also see how this could mean a compromise in quality.

Thoughts?